1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we cut Nanu ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jul 12, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

My question is the thread title . Can we cut him for roster space ? What are the implications of doing so ?

It seems we have some legitimate prospects on our summer league squad . Melton , hartenstein , qi , Edwards , duval , and Deng adel .

I think in terms of those guys ceilings long term ..... they blow Nanu out of the water . Nanu has had plenty of time to develop and seems not to have done too much .

I think , however , that we have a bit of a roster squeeze coming up . Especially, if we pursue Melo / another free agent .

Can we get rid of Nanu to open up space to sign one of these kids to a deal ? Yes , I know that qi and Edwards have already been signed . But Melton , hartenstein and the rest have not ( from what I know )

DaDakota, carib, Von Rafer and 3 others like this.
  2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

We could cut him, but his salary ($1,544,951) is fully guaranteed, and Morey is extremely unlikely to add dead money to the ledger.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/chinanu-onuaku-20243/

roslolian, snowconeman22 and napalm06 like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wouldn't mind it. I'd take Melton, Hartenstein, Duval, Adel, or even House over him. And I think we have to give Melton a spot to grow with the club.

Most likely result is that he's included as trade filler. Big men are so sought after that a young, pending RFA on a low contract couldn't have lost all value.

Von Rafer, roslolian and cerophilik like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'd take the dead money for The ability to add one of the unsigned players over him .

carib and saleem like this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

No way Melton and Edwards don’t recieve contracts, especially Melton he looks like a steal a potential rotation piece by mid season if his shot continues to fall.

Edwards we paid 1.5m?, I believe to pick him so I don’t see us not signing him either.

Hartenstein looks like a promising nba big and Qi isn’t going anywhere.

Nanu was a bust project my guess is Morey includes him in some minor trade or big trade? But I doubt he’s on the roster to start the year.

He’s shown nothing in 2 years and 3 summer leagues.

da_juice, IvanLCPM, carib and 2 others like this.
  6. jayfree

jayfree Member

7. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

But his granny style free throws are so dadgum efficient!

8. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I agree that it’s time to cut Nanu. Personally, I was impressed with Adel. He showed a lot of potential in his limited time of the court. Yes, he wasn’t able to finish a few drives to the basket but he was fouled on 2 of them and had limited touches. With his size and shooting touch I’d roll the dice with him over all the other SF’s on the roster, including House. I don’t know, there was something about his passing skills that stood out. When he drive to the bucket he was able to find the open player with ease. House ya a few nice dishes but often looks out of control, whereas Adel looks silky smooth.

As for the rest the other players, I’d carve out a spot for Melton, Qi, and Hartenstien.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I agree cut Nanu.

And MCW.

Gorki, Von Rafer and saleem like this.
  10. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Onuaku will make Capela obsolete.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

With luxury taxes, it’ll probably cost the Rockets about $7-8 million if they cut (rather than trade) Nanu. That will likely keep him on the roster...until an advantageous trade is available.

Deuce, topfive, Von Rafer and 4 others like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wow. It's too bad, that he can't be moved. Hartenstein is much better than him.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree with @BimaThug

A team like Atlanta is currently at $81 mil in team salary. They could absorb Nanu-plus without sending
    anything back. They could cut one of their 3 non guaranteed contracts to make room for Nanu or send
    it our way. Denpending on the deal and personnel. Rights to oversea players or money or pick going
    with Nanu..........?? I’m not familiar with their non guaranteed players. Maybe they are keepers in
    their minds.

Atlanta is under the minimum team salary and needs to add payroll by........what? Seasons end?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. j@amc

j@amc Member

This looks like a best case scenario. Now if only they could take Ryan Anderson as well!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. BackdoorHarden

New Isiah signed for the minimum

Who would you rather have , Isiah or Nanananau?

16. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Neither would fit into the Rox current rotation. Nanu doesn’t have baggage surrounding him like Isiah does and is probably easier moved.

CP3/Melton/MCW

Capela/Hartenstein/Nene/Zhou

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Understood .

Do you think it's likely that they trade him soon . They could face competition for signing guys like Duval or Deng to 2-way contracts because we don't own the rights to them . ( correct? )

And while we DO own hartensteins rights , it's kind of a dick move to make him sign a g-league deal again . He's improved a lot and probably deserves a deal . If he pans out we will have wanted to treat him as well as possible .

Obviously , the coaching staff has a lot more information that I do about all of these players and I trust their decision . Personally , I would rather try to lock up Duval and Deng than eat 7-8 million . Or I'd find a way to dump Nanu quickly . Because I think we are gonna need some young athletic low-cost players to pan out if we are going to compete over the next few years .

Melton becoming a strong NBA caliber player would be a huge shot in the arm. If any of these other guys pan out then we have the potential to keep them or at he very least have some enticing assets

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

Just tell Atlanta "You know how bad Dwight was for you.... well Nanu is NOTHING like him so you're gold"

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Woah guys! Calm the eff down! Violence isn't going to get us anywhere.

topfive likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yep. What can we tell the Kings and Bulls, lol.

Atlanta is at about $81 mil in team salary
    Kings are at about $82 mil in team salary
    Bulls are at about $84 mil in team salary

League minimum in team payroll is at around $89 mil. or get fined. They could take him on with incentives.

rest seem far over