1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

19% say Donald Trump has done the best or second best job of any president of their lifetimes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 11, 2018.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm never sure how much fault is a President's success/failure is really on them, but I definitely don't feel good about how the Federal Government has ran during my adult life.

Obama was the most Presidential (I'll exclude Reagan, since I was 2 when HW became President), though W's response in the aftermath of 9/11 is still spectacular to me. It is too bad it really went downhill after that for W.

Trump would easily be my worst, as he's a POS and I really despise growing deficits in such a great economy, especially when he even admits some belt tightening could be coming for people because of his trade war. Mind you this isn't government belt tightening...

Reagan began the deficit spending and income equality issues, though massive tax reform was a good thing, IMO.

Clinton signed the bill basically ending Glass-Steagall which certainly didn't help the 2008 Financial Crisis (in addition to being of very low character, IMO).

Bush exploded the deficits again after his Dad and Clinton worked across aisles to make fix them. Mission Accomplished is forever burned into my mind.

Obama's biggest accomplishment has basically become a failure. So much of his Presidency has already been undone, and he failed to deliver on a number of issues. His success or failure really depends on how much responsibility is given for our economic recovery.

I really don't have a major complaint about HW. If anything, I say his failure is that he couldn't get his own party on board with him, which led to bi-partisan negotiations to become more like succumbing to the dems.

Nook likes this.
  2. juicystream

His terms were 2009-2013 and 2013-2017

3. Nook

Nook Member

If by wrecking you mean the drunk guy at the bar swaying and spilling his beer over everyone as he tries to get to the bathroom before ******** his pants......

Anticope and CometsWin like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This this this.

Trump himself doesn't concern me as much as the reasons for him being elected do. Most if not all of his supporters could care less about what he does or doesn't do as long as it pisses off the liberals (and moderates which are pretty much exactly the same if you listen to your average Trump voter).

It's like Trump supporters have just given up thinking objectively and are just content to reply to any sort of criticism with "what about Hillary's emails?!?!?!"

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the bolded part for sure. I consider Reagan the best because well....there isn't a lot of competition for the top spot and I give him credit for projecting strength in a troubling time while the USSR was still a threat and IMO a lot of what he did led to their collapse....which is also why I largely give him a pass for the ridiculous military spending during his presidency. He always seemed like the most presidential and strongest leader, he really played that role well IMO.

The reason I have Clinton second is that he was a truly savvy politician and he did a damn good job compromising with Republicans that controlled congress in order to get positive things done. He's still the only president in my lifetime that managed to balance the budget and end up with a surplus....even if part of that was only due to an economic bubble. A lesser politician would have been a dick and refused to compromise.

To me those are the only 2 "good" presidents that I've seen in my lifetime and both of them were greatly aided by outside factors. The only reason I even mentioned HW Bush was that I thought he was a bit better than the rest. Honestly we've been heading towards the bottom of the barrel for quite some time now and with Obama/Trump I think we've finally accomplished it......I really, really hope this is the bottom.

JumpMan likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I though it was common knowledge that everyone knew the word "but" negates everything that came before it.

For example, "Supporters of the current administration are well-informed and intelligent but full of **** and delusional in their support of the worst president in our history."

CometsWin likes this.
  7. bongman

bongman Member

The election is over, why do you keep bringing up that he won? Nobody is contending that. He won to be president of the US and not just 19% of the people who answered the polls.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because him winning the election makes the numbers make sense.

Im sure every election a lot of people thunk their guy is the greatest.

Furthermore this is a problem with the Russian talk. It distorts people's understanding of Trump's popularity and chances to repeat

9. bongman

bongman Member

So why did you bring up the Russian talk into this thread if you know it distorts?

How does the numbers make sense when about 46% of the voters elected him while only 19% approve of him now? You say he caters to his constituents but those very raw numbers says otherwise.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Strip away the rhetoric and the tweets and the insults, and judge him purely by his accomplishments. If you do that, he's on Mount Rushmore. Historic low unemployment levels. Largest tax cut ever. Great selections to the Supreme Court. Restored America's nutsack in foreign relations. Erased the threat of nuclear war with North Korea (when others couldn't). Decimated ISIS (when others couldn't). Wiped away the stain of Obamacare. Cut regulations substantially to allow businesses to grow and prosper. All in 2 years and all while fighting incredibly unfair media bias and a Russian investigation built on lies and nothing more than political payback motivations.

Is that spot to the left of George Washington available?

GOOD DAY

Rashmon and fiersdownbelow like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His current approval rating is just under 43%, which is the highest it has been since his first 100 days in office. The 19% were those that thought he was the best or second best president in their lifetime.

If 43% seems low, consider that his favorability numbers were around 35% just over a week before the election. So in many ways, he has been moving in the right direction.

cml750 likes this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

While I am not ready to put him on Mount Rushmore, once you get past all the stuff he says and tweets and look solely at his actions, he has been a very good President. By far the best since Clinton. If he would give up on the tariffs he would be even better.

#72 cml750, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    fiersdownbelow likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does he even want his face on a bunch of old ass rocks?

This is the same guy who called the White House a dump and has to beg his wife and toddler visitation hours to parade around that hellhole and act like a trophy.

GOOD TINES

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

43% is drastically low for a time when the unemployment rate is as low as it is. Imagine when the economy goes through its natural cycle growth slows.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's important that we dig into what Russia is doing to influence elections here and abroad. It's not about blaming someone for Trump being elected, it's from preventing it from happening again and ensuring the integrity of the voting system. Many republicans agree with this, not sure why others do not as once you open that can of worms, you will have other countries try to influence US elections - sometimes on behalf of Republicans, and sometimes on behalf of Democrats.

This isn't about Trump, it's about protecting our future democracy.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

FIFY

JumpMan likes this.
  17. juicystream

The deficit is $833 billion in a booming economy and growing to $985 billion. Our standing with our allies (other than Israeap) is lower than it has been in decades.

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Yeah, our allies don't like us anymore because we quit being pushovers towards them and instead, doing what's in AMERICA'S best interest. They don't have a sissy-boy like Obama to step on anymore. Great for us, very bad for them. No wonder they are upset.

And save the deficit crying -- Obama more than doubled the national debt of ALL PRIOR PRESIDENTS COMBINED. Where were your deficit hawk calls then, my friend?

GOOD DAY

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ho Ho Ho.

It is in American's best interest to let Russia turn Europe, Asia, and S America into their sphere's of influence. Once that is done, Putin will no longer need to Harass America because we can import from Russia cheap things instead of crappy China! And Russia will give us good car good teeth and good tv to watch Putin on. You will like my friend right?

20. juicystream

Our allies aren't the problem, China is.

The same place they've been my whole voting life. I voted for Gary Johnson in the last 2 presidential elections you dumbass. And voted for McCain in 08. But keep coming up with whataboutisms.