1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets want Melo off the bench, may sign with Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

there's literally no point in thinking about the Warriors right now, it's not the time. You just want to have a squad together and play some games first and see how things work out.

Melo will be fine, it wasn't he was iso'd to death when he was on OKC. We actually lacked offensive diversity last season, it was obvious at various points in the playoffs we can't put the ball into the basket against the Wolves and the Jazz. It took some heroics of CP to bail us out multiple times. Having someone who can score not just from Harden/Paul iso's will be a refreshing change.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

why not? the ultimate goal is to be the ones to beat the only team that matters and its them

Bobsputin and harold bingo like this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I may be optimistic, but if we got Harden to try and play decent defense in the Warriors series I have hope Melo could do the same on our team.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I think having that one additional play maker and someone that can create their own shot just allows the team as a whole, including Melo and Harden to be able to give more effort on defense. This was evident last season with adding CP - Harden was able to take plays off on offense to catch his breath and was able to give significantly more effort on defense throughout the season.

Cautiously optimistic with adding Melo (like i was last year with adding CP)

TriumVirate likes this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I want James Ennis to bite Steph and Klay :eek:

6. riko

riko Member

Difference is Harden actually has the ability to play difference Melo has never even shown the ability.

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Couldn't disagree more, I think the exact opposite. There is no point in thinking about anything else, everything other than this is irrelevant from a team building standpoint. I don't care if we go 82-0 and sweep every other team if it means we lose to the warriors. The only thing to consider when adding new players is how they are going to play against the warriors in the playoffs.

Bobsputin and Von Rafer like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We also have to GET to the Warriors.

9. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

This narrative is false. At their defensive peaks Melo has been a better defender than Harden. Harden now has the tools to be really good, Melo has strength and hand speed but lacks the lateral speed to be consistently good.

You guys never watched Melo so I get it, you gotta go off of what sells in the media but dude will lock in and play some good defense.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

and that ability doesn't all of a sudden improve or show up when you're declining at 34

11. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Is this fake news? The article does not say ANYWHERE that the Rockets want Melo to come off the bench. Jonathan Feigen mentions that would be the Rockets need (could be an assumption on his part and his opinion) but nowhere does anyone in the Rockets organization explicitly come out and say that.

Fullcourt likes this.
  12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't really agree that this is a concern. It's obviously a true statement, we do have to get to the warriors, but I think any roster that beats the warriors in a series will also be able to beat every other team in the NBA pretty comfortably. This would only be a concern if there was some combination of players that would beat the warriors, but lose to other teams, and I don't think that exists.

Bobsputin and YOLO like this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

NO LIES WERE TOLD :p

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah think about the warriors when we can very well get bounced in the first or second round. We are not guaranteed at all to have the same 65 win season next year. CP is older, Gordon is older, Tucker is older, lost two defensive wings, hasn't even signed Capela yet, and we are talking about the warriors lmao.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

"if you're not worried about the warriors and trying to compete then what are we doing"

Bobsputin and waytookrzy079 like this.
  16. hakeemthagreat

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

When proper motivation is there, I dont see why he wouldnt put forth the effort. When it comes to defense, IMO, 75% is effort and hustle. Since his Denver days, this would be the only other time he'd be on a championship contender, in addition to playing with CP who seemed to have whipped Harden into shape last season.

Again not saying this would or would not happen. I would just be cautiously optimistic and hope for the best.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Stop saying that whoever does not agree with you did not watch. Yes, a lot of us watched OKC last season because we wanted to laugh at Westbrook. Don't spread false narrative yourself.

People keep saying that Melo could add another scorer who could create his own shot. The fact was, (YES, I WATCH!) Melo might not even was that player anymore. He was slow as hell and couldn't get pass his man at will when he had the ball. It's not the prime Melo we are getting. I'd be happy if he could play the Ryno role (or his supposed role before he fell of the cliff). He's not as accurate as Anderson from deep. But he at least wouldn't pass up open shots. The big question is, is he willing to play that role?

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is he a better shooter than Ariza lol....next question.

Anderson's limitation is foot speed. There's nothing that can make up for slow feet on defense, and like was mentioned, got thrown into a game he had no business being in. So, not sure what you think you've argued for even. What is your point? And with better points.

I'm not disregarding it, I'm saying it doesn't matter like it did in the 70s. I'm not fooled into thinking harden morphed into AN AVERAGE DEFENDER. Is this really ground breaking? I'm just using that 5 as a lineup too, it doesn't even include noted defender PJ Tucker, the defender they just signed or the guy they drafted. Look around man, the Rockets have defenders on the roster. Or like, keep talking about "reality" like your hot take drivel is from there.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

And like i said before the rockets are going to be smart enough to limit the minutes of the two weakest defenders bc together it results in mediocrity defensively

You're noting Anderson's foot speed as if melo's is any better at 34. Atleast with anderson he understands concepts and where to be which goes quite a way on a team. Melo on the other hand just has extremely low iq on the defensive end to go along with his deterioration

Zboy likes this.