1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official : The Rockets have gotten BETTER this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I wish it was dat eazy. Team would sadly still make playoffs or barely miss and use lottery pick on under-sized PF :cool:

2. GranvilleWaders

now that's funny!

Easy likes this.
  3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I love Gerald Green but he ain’t guarding Durant. And his defensive IQ is about half of what Ariza’s was

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  4. PatBev

PatBev Member

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We ain't making the playoffs if Harden and Paul are hurt. We won't win a game both of them don't play.

6. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

This is why I hate the numbers argument. Anyone that watch Rockets knows that Ariza and Luc meant more to us than the numbers show. Before Luc hurt his shoulder the first time, he was playing better than anyone on the team outside of Harden.

I love Green and glad to see we brought in a backup PG (MCW) and another defensive wing (Ennis), but let's see how it plays out first. Right now I don't feel we got better.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Green's 3pt shooting is almost identical as Ariza's in the past 5 years. But he is nowhere near the smart defender Ariza is. I don't know where you get the idea that Green is a better player than Ariza. There is a reason why Ariza is getting 15M (though overpaid) and Green is getting the min.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This just shows how we win that series, if he's not injured.

HakeemOnlyFan and Rocket99 like this.
  9. noppeper

noppeper Member

I really hope that you are right and the Rockets can start Gerald Green, play him 35+ minutes a game, win 65+ games and make it at least to game 7 of the WCF. I'm skeptical, because GG is 32 and has been in the league a long time, and has always played the game the same way and that has never been big minutes in a championship caliber team.

But again, I hope you are right, because that would be awesome.

10. GranvilleWaders

I could go back and look at Durant's numbers when the Rockets faced the Warriors. I suppose Durant was still really good meaning Ariza was giving effort but nothing special like a shutdown guy. Also you can throw Tucker and Ennis on him some along with Green and I think the result would be the same as Ariza really.

11. GranvilleWaders

Here's what I can guarantee.. Gerald Green would shoot a higher percentage is this year's game 7 of WCF than Ariza did last year.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Seeing De'Anthony Melton's summer league performances makes me believe the summer is salvageable.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

14. GranvilleWaders

You can't argue Ariza's experience and Defensive knowledge for sure. I just think Green is faster, has more energy, better hops. Offensively Green is better than Ariza AND how many houstonians did Trevor Ariza save in the Flood?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

in what,your dreams. this guarantee is worthless when it can't be proven

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

not withstanding that i don't have the medical on Luc's shoulder; let's set that aside. That may indeed be a legit reason, but right now it's pure speculation ...unless anyone has some credible intel on that; I haven't read any.

But if you are gonna solely focus on stats, at least don't use career stats for 3pt when Luc has actually been improving that part of his game the last few years (he's averaged almost 38% from 3 for the last two seasons!). Also, steals and blocks are an important measurement of defensive production, but they are only half the story. As we all know, defense is a much harder thing to measure with basic stats; advanced stats shed some additional light, but just watching Luc defend a diversity of player-types and lengths, it's obvious that he is an elite defender. Most would say better than Ennis. Lastly, i do not believe that Green can easily replace what Ariza did for this team. Green is a good role player, but he's not as good of a defender, he doesn't have anywhere near Ariza's BBall IQ. I'll give you that their offensive production is probably a wash, but in virtually every other aspect of the game, Ariza is a better player.

So again, it's hard for me to see how we are a better team at this moment.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  17. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Gerald Green doesn't know how to play team defense and has trouble with switches, the guy looks lost and you're comparing him to the best defender we had on the team that had an elite wingspan - not a good comparison.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

PREMIUM POST!

You should post more!

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Congrats! You made yourself OFFICIAL! Is that a closet thing?

20. GranvilleWaders

Gerald Green was on his couch mid season. Give him a full off season and camp to learn the defense and you'll see something else!