1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

It's Official : The Rockets have gotten BETTER this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018.

1. GranvilleWaders

Call me the glass half full guy but I believe these latest signings have made the Rockets BETTER for the upcoming season! Morey has done it again while not overpaying and instead getting players that fill a need and will outplay their contract mostly on one year deals!
    Most of the media is saying Rockets lost Ariza and Mbah Moute and our premier defense is gone or suffering.
    Who replaces Ariza and his minutes?
    Gerald Green
    !!! Let's go to the numbers from last year--

Ariza 32 // 6'8 // FG%41.2 // 3p%36.8 // RB4.4 // MPG33.9 // STL1.5 // BLK0.2 // $15 Million signed with suns
    Green 32 // 6'8 // FG%40.7 // 3p%36.9 // RB3.2 // MPG22.7 // STL0.6 // BLK0.4 // $2.4 Million signed w Rox

I'm also gonna leave Ariza's game 7 WCF stat line here for posterity sake:
    Ariza
    42 minutes played FG 0-12 // 3p 0-9 // FT 0-0 // BLK 0 - I would argue he cost us game 7 alone!!

Green will get Ariza's minutes AND have better numbers you watch!

Who replaces Luc MBah Moute and his VITAL role?
    James Ennis!!
    Let's go to the career numbers--
    Moute 31 // 6'8 // PTS 6.4 // FG%44.5 // 3p%33.6 // MPG23.4 // STL0.6 // BLK0.4// $4.3 Million signed Clips
    Ennis 28 // 6'8 // PTS 6.4 // FG%45.4 // 3p%36.0 // MPG20.4 // STL0.6 // BLK0.3 // $3.4 Million signed Rox

Michael Carter Williams can bring energy off the bench and run the PG. He can't shoot the 3 ball but his defense is pretty high level - lets go to the defensive stats--
    MCW 32 // 6'6 // FG%40.2 // RB4.7 // MPG27.5 // STL1.4 // BLK0.6 // $VET Minimum w Rox

MCW Defense is statistically better than Trevor Ariza but he can bring the ball up while Harden and/or Paul is on the bench.

MCW, James Ennis, Gerald Green (7.3 million total) >
    Trevor Ariza, Mbah Moute(19.3 million total)
    Well Done Morey! But not finished yet?!?

#1 GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I too believe in God performing miracles.

He can't punish us any worse.

5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

We gotta see first. Mbah Moute was Shane Battier last season.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

The delusion is real!

calurker and kjayp like this.
  8. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's officially official.

Case closed.

jeevinesh, pippendagimp and hakeem94 like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Uhhhhhh... okay.

10. GranvilleWaders

Not only is God on our side but so are the numbers!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm not trying to sound like an ass, but this is the dumbest statistical breakdown i've ever seen. Luc was hurt. Here are some other statistics:

25 min per game
    36% from 3
    elite defense
    7'2" wingspan

Assuming we resign Capela, as of now we've lost Ariza and Luc and have gained Ennis. There's simply no way anyone can credibly say we are a better team right now. I sincerely hope Ennis breaks out, and i even expect it based on Morey's excellent track record, but as of now (until he proves it this year) Ennis is not > Luc and Ariza. I'm sorry, this is a litmus test for intelligence.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We had Green AND Ariza. You cant be like, we're better, we have Green...

heypartner and harold bingo like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's not quire official just yet.

14. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I think our squad is good but keep in mind that Luc and trevor guarded the likes of the Mitchell , Lillard LEBRON,DURANT, CURRY ,THOMPSON. We dont want to tax PJ so much with switching and helping to where he gets hurt 2. I think Ennis is going to be good for us he just needs to be in better shape and razor focused

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No he wasn't. Shane balled out in the playoffs. Especially when Yao went down.

16. GranvilleWaders

Here's what I am seeing. The numbers tell me Ennis shoots the 3 ball as well or better than Mbah moute and steals and blocks are the same. Gerald Green will easily match what Ariza brought to the team. Oh yeah and shoulders once they get strained and stretched never go back to the same it will Always be an issue with him.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The point being (too), the Rockets wanted to get younger. Ariza and Luc mah Bootay showed signs of decline or injury. We'll miss them yes, but cheaper replacements that might not break down could be the way to go here.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol

19. GranvilleWaders

I watched every game last year..every game. I don't want to research the stats on those matchups but I'm pretty sure neither Luc or Trevor shut those guys down in any way. And then you throw on Ariza's wild swings offensively and he becomes very replaceable.

rockets1995, dreamshakin and bro2044 like this.
  20. noppeper

noppeper Member

Gerald Green is a completely different player from Ariza and unless he becomes something he has never been before, is not someone you can count on to guard the opponents best wing. To put it succinctly, GG is just a spark off the bench, a test the waters hot or cold type of player. A good piece to have, but not one that can replace Trevor.

I'll reserve judgement until I see some of these new additions, as both Ennis and MCW are not players I've paid much attention to. But I've seen Ariza, and what he brings to the court is much more than you are implying. He was the starting 3 of a 65 win team that was a win away from the finals. He's also been a key piece of a championship team in the past. He might've lost a step, but there is very little evidence that it has been much, as he played big minutes and still chased around elite offensive players last year, all while playing almost every game.

There is a reason Ariza has so much respect among players and coaches, and was given 15 million dollars for his services. This IS a big blow to the Rockets, no matter how much Moray and the new owner wants to sugar coat it. It might all work out in the end, but right now, as it stands, on paper, it doesn't look like we are better than last year.