1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 9, 2018.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't feel a big comeback in the works.

2. Buck Turgidson

Now that Giles is gone, I assume that the bbs' ire will cast its ever-watchful eye upon Harris and Peacock.

At least until Rondon blows a save or 2.

Also, can't believe they gave the rookie his chain back when got to the dugout. That was prime prank territory right there.

3. Stros66

Stros66 Member

If the Stros had three more players like Alex, Altuve and Yuli this team would be lights out.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Time to gut the team. No talent out there.

5. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Thanks for that awesome performance, Lance

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

If they deserve the criticism, like Giles most certainly 100% did, then yes they should hear it too. Oh by the way, Giles is a **** pitcher.

7. Buck Turgidson

Harris since June 1: .271 .340 .500, 13 IP, 13 H, 3 HR, 20 K, 4 BB, 4.85 ERA. Peacock has been just dogsh!t awful for about 2 weeks now: 4 G, 5.1 IP, 8 H, 4 HR 1 BB, 5 K, 9.60 ERA. His slider has left him, I hope he's not hurt because this came about overnight. Harris has been a slow devolution into mediocrity.

Hope the ASB can help some of these guys (Correa included). I wish Springer wasn't going.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The regression to the mean year has hit Peacock and Gonzales the hardest. On the other hand, Bregman and Gattis are performing better this year.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Harris gets my vote as the next target.

I have already had several people tell me Harris and Smith should be replaced with Perez after 1 outing.

10. Buck Turgidson

Harris is now low man on totem pole. Smith I really like for the job they got him for: get tough RH hitters out in tough situations. He's RH Sipp (currently), and there's a place for that on a WS contender's roster: JD, Betts, Bogaerts, Judge, Stanton, Segura, Cruz, Haniger....

Nook likes this.
  11. Stros66

Stros66 Member

I heard Stros are looking at Abreu of the White Sox and Hand from the Padres.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Let's be honest.

Tonight was still Giles' fault.

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

As a starter, reports are that he's usually 92-94 and will hit 97 occasionally. He also has a curveball that he didn't show. When he signed, he was known or having a pretty good feel for pitching for being so young, so I see big things in his future.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Never took you for an optimist :)

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Peacock has a 3.12 ERA this season compared to 3.00 last season....that seems like pretty liberal use of the term regression. He would be a great starter on literally every other team in baseball.

Harris would seem to be next on a possible chopping block. Not good enough for high leverage, no specialties, and in the last year of his contract. Similar to Peacock in that he's a quality reliever on most teams, but we are trying to perfect everything as best we can.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Peacock's FIP is a full run higher than his ERA, but I'm hoping that 2.1 HR/9 rate he's sporting right now drops in the 2nd half...

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Peacock has certainly regressed, mainly due to slider inconsistency.

When its on, he's as good as ever... when its off, he's back to being the guy that was almost DFA'd the off-season before 2017.

I actually thought his stint as a starter last year helped him, in terms of achieving regular work to stay sharp. He was so good, he was picked to start game 3 of the ALDS (something easily forgotten by many on here).

His role is even less defined this year, with the improvement in the starters ability to go deeper into games, and I feel the spotty work contributes to his ups/downs.

18. Screaming Fist

His high FIP is driven by a massive 19 HR/FB%, which isn't meaningful in a 40 IP sample.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His xFIP is 3.13, so maybe a little bad luck with the long balls.

His WHIP is under one, his K's are up and his BB's are down.

It's all perception based struggles because he's in the pen.

2 runs in 6 innings as a starter, great work.

5 separate shutout innings, and then 2 runs in one meaningful inning makes a big impression. Granted he's had a couple of rough outings here recently, but his collective body of work this season isn't really worse than last season.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He’s being used as mostly a 1 inning guy now, so yeah... bad outings stand out more.

Last year, he was mostly multi-inning bridge guy then starter.

He’s admittedly had more mechanics problems this year, and the most plausible explanation is work inconsistency.