1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas Summer League 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 22, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fans who don't go to games
    are always jealous of those fans who do

@Snow Villiers

Fans who go to games are......

PURE

Snow Villiers likes this.
  2. Embrace the clutch

I hope we sign Deng adel!!!

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

De'Anthony Stealton

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know we don't have much room, but I really wish we could cut Nanu and sign Deng Adel.

jnuge90, RocketOrg and clutchdabear like this.
  7. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Melton reminds me of Kyle Lowry but it's not gonna take him a few years to get going like it did for Lowry

He's gonna shine and either make him self a trade asset or make the loss of Gordon via trade easier

bilaal14 and BigShasta like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My opinions so far, watching everything except game 3:

Looking surprisingly good:
    Hartenstein
    Melton

Looking decent:
    Qi
    Hunter

Looking like a wildcard:
    House

Looking like a question mark:
    Duval (one great game)
    Adel (actually looking decent, just need to see more)
    Edwards (one great game)

Looking invisible:
    Brown

Looking bad:
    Gray
    Onuaku

#848 napalm06, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You should watch the 3rd game.

10. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Isiah Thomas last year was probably a better season, or at least it's in the same ball park.

Also, Arenas was the second pick in the second round, Thomas was the last pick

11. napalm06

Per the box score, Vince Edwards showed up, Danuel House faded, RJ Hunter was his usual inconsistent self, Gray sucked per usual, Duval was decent, Zhou Qi had 5 blocks and 9 fouls, and Hartenstein didn't play. What did I miss? :p

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Melton easily on different level than any other Rocket in Summer League.

Qi is more valuable than Hartenstein. His D is looking elite. And was very effective as roller.

House not better fit than Edwards. Duval and Deng are the wildcards IMO.

chuckle and RudyTBag like this.
  13. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

The amazing thing about the internet is that we can compare Arenas' and Thomas' best seasons.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...yers&y2=2017&player_id2=thomais02&idx=players

They are really close, with Thomas being slightly more efficient but a much worse defender. Thomas' WS/48 were higher, but Arenas played more minutes and produced more wins total.

RollingWave likes this.
  14. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

15. napalm06

Agreed on Melton.
    Hartenstein has been dealing with a nagging injury but I feel like he's a lot closer to NBA-backup, and my expectations were nothing. Maybe that's why I feel good about him.
    Qi has looked decent, I'm just concerned about his foul rate (6 per 21 min).
    Agreed that House is fool's gold.

RudyTBag and D-rock like this.
  16. Victorious

Victorious Member

Damn i like how Qi took it coast to coast! Starting to play with more confidence. I too think foul trouble will keep him off the floor.

BigShasta and D-rock like this.
  17. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Zhou's defense has been erractic, the highlights are really high but there's some legit concern.

First we should note that it's very noticable he's bulked up and it plays out in the game in both good and bad ways, I think in 3 games i see one play where the other team legit over powered him, and I see some guys bouncing off him on picks or when he drives.

The bad is that he's getting beat in straight line drive quite a bit, he's had this problem in the past as well because a guy that tall just can't get down in a stance consistently. but this Nets game especially it was clear their plan was to iso him up top and clear up for a straight line drive. he needs to at least have some counter to that, granted in the nba the team would probably do more pre-switching to avoid that sort of situation but it's still going to happen against even better players.

Also, one flaw he's had even since the CBA day is that when he close out on guys at the corner he give up baseline drives too easily. need a better and more consistent angel on that still.

I've always thought Zhou is likely to be fine offensively, the big variable is really his defense and it's showing out right now.

napalm06 likes this.
  18. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Adel has tremendous potential. It's a matter of how hard he's willing to work at this point. He has the intangibles imo.

19. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

I also remember a young gun by the name of Jeremy Lamb having a good Summer League which in turn helped us get our current MVP. Granted, he was a lottery pick, but still.

D-rock likes this.
  20. larry cook

larry cook Member

Seems like one of those guys who was overlooked during the scouting process. The team played with good pace when Melton, Adel, and RJ we're on the floor. Wouldn't mind sitting Brown and letting Adel shine a little more.