1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luka Doncic to Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should send him to the Drew League.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sucks he is not in a houston uni but overall I'm still happy to see more talent in the NBA that isnt in GSW. Adds more value to my league pass.

Koperboy likes this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Thinking on the Mavs end is that this will be a mid first round pick, significantly reducing the chances of it being a major player. I think that's realistic. While Mavs are no threat to unseat any of the top teams in the West, with this roster they should be in the playoff hunt. That's one of the reasons the Mavs made the trade...get a player who is likely significantly better overall than Mo Bamba, pick up De Andre in FA, and give up a future first round pick that is mid pack. The Mavs FO, and most analysts, saw this as a big win for the Mavs.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not even sure they really want DeAndre long term, they're just adding pieces to help ensure that draft pick they sold will be as low as possible. At least you know they wont be tanking this year.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In the playoff hunt is a huge stretch. Bear in mind the Nuggets and Clippers DIDN'T make the playoffs last year. Clippers obviously will get worse.But the Lakers will get MUCH better. And if Memphis is healthy, they should be better, too. Have any of the 8 playoff squads from last year obviously gotten worse? Doesn't seem like it to me.

To me, its almost assuredly a lotto pick. Like 95%+

For the Hawks, that's 2 lotto picks next year. Maybe that draft sucks. Maybe the picks are 6 and 13 and not great...
    But with the clear assumption that the Hawks preferred Young to Doncic anyway - hey, that's their perogative - it's a solid return for them.
    only thing I would have pushed for would have been no protections on the pick... precisely because I do think it will be a lotto pick and if it sneaks into the top 3 I don't think they get it do they?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dallas in the playoffs? Agreed. No chance. But they'll fight to make sure it's a late lotto pick. They'll HAVE to fight.

7. JayZ750

I mean probably. Honestly it really depends a lot on how polished Doncic is day one. Not even his ceiling, just how polished he is. The bet of course was that he'd be polished.

But if he has typical rookie-esque tendencies, and they are clearly on the outside looking in come January/February... it's almost feasible to see them again try and play young guys more, not worry about wins as much, etc. It's not their or Carlisle's M.O. .... but as I said the pick is top 5 protected next year, so the closer they get to that and with the chance to jump into the top 3 with the lotto balls, that'd be great for them, of course.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The thing with the Hawks and where I think they messed up a bit. Was not getting more pieces for the third pick. TheRE are teams that would give the boat and the river for a #3 pick, especially in a really good draft year. If it were Morey, he would've gotten the player he wanted or gotten the "best available player" with another pick and a possible role player that could help team. I don't think you can get stuck on singular talent, unless it's transcendent prospect, like LeBron or Shaq.

9. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

dis dude every going to play?

10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

You mean, after 160 games in two years of playing non-stop? Yeah he should play even more in some meaningless games instead of working on his athleticism...

#130 Koperboy, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    roslolian and Von Rafer like this.
  11. JayZ750

???

In the top of the lottery the most important thing is getting the guy you think will be best.

It has nothing to do with gettting stuck on a singular talent and everything To do with selecting the right talent to get stuck on.

Regardless of the package they got back - I think fair except for the protections - the trade will ultimately be judged by comparing Young and Doncic in their careers

12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Yup. Would love to see him against competition rather than washed up players overseas.

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Did I misunderstand something, or are you trying to say summer league competition is better than Euroleague's one? A basketball fan can't be that ignorant, even an American, so it must be a troll post.

roslolian and Von Rafer like this.
  14. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

This is so funny to me. This is less than a 2nd year NBA player going in to year 3. Playing 20ish minutes a game and zero or almost zero back to backs. Why are people acting like he had some unworldly playing schedule?

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Well first because he was 16y old at start of those 2 and half years ago, and second, his summer "off-season" consisted of playing for NT.

Also, most players you are referring to are not asked to carry their team nearly every game. This year he was best player on his team with primary PG sidelined for almost whole season, so his responsibilites and defenders he faced were at highest level possible.

Von Rafer and BigO like this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a bad sign when a 19 year old has to work on his athleticism.

Zboy and BigShasta like this.
  17. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

So you think prime Dwight is better than prime Marc Gasol? Because that's what you get if you work on your athleticism instead your game.

18. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Not really, look at Jamal Murray, guys improve with NBA training.

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

More to this post: Athleticism is so revered in college guys and draftees that most of the time overshadows stuff between your ears.

Brothers Gasol and Nikola Jokic are only recent examples. Larry Bird wasn't the most athletic guy either and look how it ended up for him. Hell, even Curry looks pathetic next to Westbrook or Dennis Smith Jr.

I think you overrate athleticism a bit.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

prime dwight? much better than marc gasol. dude was 3 time DPOY and was the anchor of a 1 in-4 out squad that got to the finals by beating a 66 win lebron team. i think he led the league in an advanced stat or two that year or the next.

Zboy likes this.