1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lowe] FA Winners and Losers: Beware of labeling Houston a...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 11, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24057463/zach-lowe-winners-losers-2018-nba-free-agency

2. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

winner winner chicken dinner.

s3ts and don grahamleone like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey's buddy to the rescue

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Morey’s track record has earned him the benefit of the doubt. I know we say “in morey we trust” flippantly but he’s proven himself smarter with better intel than any of us here.

5. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

he right doe

Invisible Fan and mikol13 like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just be aware, you guys / folks on this board take a huge dump on any reporters that are even remotely anti-Rockets in their speculation/opinions.

Lowe is completely the opposite. He is always pro Rockets and loves him some DM.

And its hard to blame him on that :)

But the idea, in an article called FA Winner and Losers, to not label Houston a loser when they've lost both their SFs and have yet to resign their 3rd most important player... because they might, or even probably, based on history, will do other stuff down the road to salvage it, doesn't make a lot of sense.

At the moment, their losers, plain and simple.

Obviously that can change at any time.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

BUT they re-signed Paul and hopefully look on track to get a 5 year deal done with Capela (knock on wood).

Don't call them winners, but it's stupid to call them losers either esp if we end up with Melo and Ennis. I would be totally fine with the outcome of the off-season. Morey then waits on the prowl to materially upgrade by the deadline.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I appreciated Lowe's take because it is not just looking at the "surface" level but has some context and nuance. Hot Takers on twitter have already buried the Rockets and crowned the Lakers as the number 2 team in the West.

Morey should get some benefit of the doubt, IMO.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Someone needs to photoshop Morey's face over the wizard of oz (or the wiz).

12. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

looks like this requires a its happening gif

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They'd still be losers... on paper.

That's a downgraded team... even factoring in Ariza's craptitude in the playoffs. At least he fit the PnR defensive scheme. Melo was equally bad in the playoffs... actually worse given he wasn't good defensively.

The only way to call it a push would be if you were ALL IN on James Ennis and MCW. I don't see how any reasonable observer can be. But if that's the position, than that's what Lowe should have said. Need to just come out and say its a push because James Ennis is going to be better at this point that Ariza.

Now... of course... they haven't signed James Ennis... or Melo... so its mute point.

Intellectually, I don't know how at this point you can't say losers. They're a worse squad when their primary competitor improved.

Relativist and YOLO like this.
  14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Need to convince myself this... this isn't the first time the board has had a depressed sentiment and certainly wouldn't be the first time Morey pulled off a surprise. My friend talked to one our player's agent in LA last night... not going to say who's but the guy said Morey is really smart and fans shouldn't be pessimistic at this point.

But at the same time, free agency seems so bleak right now. Hopefully Butler trade is still being discussed, Kawhi would be a pipe dream.

Agent also said he doesn't think Rockets should go after Melo. Seems like a more common sentiment than I expected, I get the risks but if we strikeout on trading for a star what is the alternative?

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Morey's track record is the only reason I'm not completely at a loss for hope right now.

If we sign Ennis I will feel a lot better, but this offseason has been rough to this point.

16. xaos

xaos Member

I like it because they are nice to Morey. I don’t like it when people are mean to Morey. Just leave Morey alone. Haha.

All jokes aside, this is how I feel. The idea that you have to point out that you shouldn’t call the Rockets losers is acknowledging the fact that our off season hasn’t gone well - if it were to end now. But it then points out that Houston has proven plenty of people wrong before and has the ability to maneuver himself back into a “winning” off season.

The last time I truly doubted Morey was when I questioned why we traded our starting point guard (on a winning team) for a backup (on a losing team) that no one knew about (Lowry). Since then I’ve tried to respect his vision and it has made me appreciate him more. No doubt I’m scratching my head - but there’s not many people I would trust over Morey and his staff in this situation

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Nothing flippant about it my dude, In Morey We Trust.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Winners/losers aren’t determined in the offseason. That’s why EOTY is handed out at the end of the season.

I’m disappointed about how our team is likely to look like at the beginning of the season, but I’m hopeful it will round into shape nicely by the end.

#18 durvasa, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    dlite316, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's a little funny to see people point to that whole scenario, and the... "we find the Chandler Parsons, we don't pay Chandler Parsons." - but the guy you found in that scenario, Ariza, is the one that left.

You're trying to replace the guy (Ariza), that replaced the original guy (Parsons), when the other guy you had lined up to do it (Luc) -- also now needs to be replaced. Lulz.

PS: James Ennis, your deadline is TODAY.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. If Morey is anything, he's patient. As he said, the goal is to have the best team possible at the beginning of the playoffs. To me, that means he could role with an incomplete lineup at the beginning of the season in order to keep his powder dry. That may also mean conceding the #1 seed, but if the result is the best possible team to go against GSW, that would be worth it.

D-rock and seclusion like this.