1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: rockets pursuing James Ennis, decision by Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Also would like to remind everyone Gerald Green is back and he has a whole year with us and he bumped Luc out of the rotation in the playoffs. “But that’s cuz Luc injured his shoulder!” Yes. Twice in a few months. More reason to try different avenues.

He would have been nice to keep at a veteran minimum but certainly not the MLE

Hard_foul, saleem and ashleyem like this.
  2. lionaire

lionaire Member

The more wings the merrier

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. Homey the Clown

And I'd like to remind you that we just gave a max 4 year deal to an aging injury proned PG whose nagging injuries have greatly increased every year for the past 4 years or so. He's not Benjamin Button so that's not gonna slow down.

4. Mr Chuck Norris

and I’ll like to remind you we have the MVP of the leasgue

5. Homey the Clown

Mvp of the league isn't enough to get us by a LeBron/Kawhi/Kuzma/Ingram or a KD/Curry/Klay/Cousins in the playoffs. Whose gonna guard those dudes? Gerald Green? This Ennis guy? Lol nah

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The notion of taking a pure defender is just wrong.

If you can not shot 3 pointers in this team, you will hardly get much meaningful playing time.

Don't use MCW as an example, he is a project failure in minimum salary, and the Rox known for trying out project failure before like Johnny Flynn and Thabeet, it means nothing to this team's need. This signing was just the pure ego of Morey,

Many people may not like Nick Young, but he is a much better shooter than Ariza and Luc, yes he is not a good one on one defender, but neither is Harden and the scheme that the Rox using to defend - all switching, plus an elite rim protector, as long as you can try, you should be OK.

The Rox would rather prefer more offense than "so called elite defense", hence guys like Melo makes sense here.

If Anderson can shoot at a reliable basis, he won't be as bad as he is looking for now.

7. bmd

bmd Member

James Ennis is a career 36.0% 3-pt shooter and can play defense.

8. raining threes

Chicken?

Expect Anthony and Nunnally to be added to the roster.

Paul/MCW
    Harden/Gordon
    Capela/Hartenstein
    Anthony/Tucker
    Ennis/Nunnaly

Hopefully Melton can play some PG or they pickup a vet after TC cuts.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It sounds like you’re mad because we weren’t able to sign Lebron and Cousins and Paul George and trade for Kawhi.

We had our best season yet and we have kept the most important pieces (barring Capela sitting the season out); our stars. The rest are just role players. Something our GM has time and time proven he is able to replace.
    It’s unfortunate we didn’t add more stars, yes, but that really doesn’t fall on Morey. He got us Harden. He got us CP3. He even drafted our 3rd best player late. We should kill him cuz he didn’t convince Lebron to come here? Or cuz he couldn’t convince Boogie to sign here for 5 million and compete at his position with Capela? No no. He should be crucified because he can’t convince a team to give us a really good player for Ryno and a late 1st. I mean, why not since it’s so obvious on this board that Ryno and 2 first rounders would easily net you Otto Porter.

There are some people on this board who refer to me as noplicone for my pessimism. I found it kind of funny but I’m literally shocked at the way people are acting on here. I’ve been around long enough. How is it this summer is surprising me on this board?!? Never seen the hate this bad.

10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I would take Ennis over Ariza, but I’m still disappointed in losing Luc. Ennis + Melo and maybe 1 more forward that can defend for 15-20 minutes, and I’d say we’re slightly improved over 2017/18.

11. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

We kind of live on a second-to-second basis...though in all seriousness I would like to see him on the Rox. Young-ish 3 and D guy who is tenacious and not afraid of guarding stars.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he likely would have agreed to $4M, not the full taxpayer MLE. $4M is roughly the tax-adjusted equivalent of what he got from the Cali team

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I didn’t mean the number I meant what exception. If we use $4M of the MLE that still leaves us with no full exception to use on anyone else.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if anyone else = melo, then that's actually a blessing in disguise :D

but you're right on a different point, the vet min would have only counted $1.5M against the cap so there is a $2.5M difference there if we paid him $4M. and that $2.5M diff is probably even more in terms of lux tax for tilman, who now has us on a strict waist tightening budget

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t know. I think we’re praising Luc way too much on here.
    Me personally I would love to use the exception on Ennis and sign Melo with a vet minimum.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How many shots does he usually take per game? His shooting form is not very convincing. Perhaps MDA might be able to help him here.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Not too mention that players on this team get wide open threes from specific spots on the floor and it usually equates to a couple percentage points on the plus side

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I see some of you guys posting stats, and that’s nice so let me add something for you NON chicken littles.

His dfg% from 3 is 28.9% compared to the average of 36.7% for a result of holding his opponent shooters -7.8% from three while defending 2.7 attempts per game.

Further more to illustrate his perimeter prowess. He’s holding his opponents, at a distance of 15+ feet, to 29.2% which is -7.9% lower than their avg of 37.1% on 4 attempts a game.

Deckard, Vivi, Ryan_Success and 7 others like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

MCW is an experiment of Morey. Wait till MDA realizes that he is nothing but a black hole, who wants to show he can score. Yes, you are right about RA. Nick Young is good enough, for the vet minimum. We do need a wing who can defend and shoot.

20. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

The question you gotta ask is, is it easier to turn a good defender into a reliable shooter or take a guy who can score and scheme around his defense so it doesn’t hurt you.

BigMaloe likes this.