1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets want Melo off the bench, may sign with Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm confused as to why the Rockets would even approach him to come off the bench after he laughed at the idea just a few months ago.

BHannes2BHonest and RudyTBag like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I buy Toronto, Indiana and Philly as real contenders in the East. Gap between them and Boston is probably like the gap between Houston and the third team in the West.

Milwaukee I don't see it. Potential though.

Miami? I REALLY don't see it.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's not entirely ludicrous!

Complete tangent mode of course... but I am higher on Otto Porter than most in the NBA. I think the view on him changed when he signed that huge contract.

John Wall is Westbrook-esque to me. Sure he picks up assists, but I don't know... it just doesn't seem team-friendly.

Would you do Porter + Kief Morris for Eric Gordon + Ryan Anderson??

I'd seriously think about it. Small ball of CP3, Harden, Porter, Tucker, Morris. Capela to go big. Gerald Green in place of EG off the bench. Who knows what MCW will give you.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

There's no confirmation the Rockets said anything about the bench though that was just speculation.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ity-thunder-meeting-other-teams-prior-parting

LAS VEGAS -- In advance of an inevitable - if not imminent - parting, the Oklahoma City Thunder granted Carmelo Anthony permission to meet with prospective teams, including the Houston Rockets and Miami Heat, league sources told ESPN.

Anthony and his representatives met with Rockets and Heat officials at the site of the NBA Summer League in recent days, league sources told ESPN.

Thunder general manager Sam Presti and Anthony's agent, Leon Rose of CAA Sports, have been working cooperatively to expedite a separation with the Thunder.

The Rockets meeting included coach Mike D'Antoni, who had a turbulent relationship with Anthony as New York Knicks coach. D'Antoni made it clear to Anthony that he thinks the circumstances together would be far different in Houston, and welcomed the idea of coaching Anthony again, league sources said.

The Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $27.9 million 2017-18 salary clears waivers. Oklahoma City needs Anthony's permission to waive his no-trade clause, which he has done to facilitate his exit, league sources said.

Anthony's contract makes trade possibilities less likely than simply executing the NBA's waive and stretch provision on his contract, which would save the Thunder over $100 million. That would spread his salary cap hit equally at $9.3 million over three years.

The Rockets lost forward Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute in free agency, clearing the way for a greater opportunity to impact the Rockets. Miami coach Erik Spoelstra has been a strong advocate of signing Anthony, who could play a major role for the Heat at power forward.​

7. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

morey would have paid Luc if melo wasnt coming. especially after his meeting

mario_v likes this.
  8. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

lol

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Let's hope and pray it is true though =D

Plowman likes this.
  10. justtxyank

Plowman likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL

just warming up. ariza isn't even here and rockets still dont want him to start.

of course rational people knew this though

12. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Good point.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don't think it matters if he starts or doesn't. He'd be playing 30ish minutes a game either way. He'll be in place to chuck up a ton of shots, probably wide open shots if CP is feeding him on the 2nd unit. He's got his money.

What's the problem Carmelo?

14. justtxyank

My tune on Melo is changing to cautiously optimistic about how he'd play here.

Morey wants him (know that, he loves the guy)
    D'Antoni wants him
    Spoelstra wants him????

Those are three guys I respect.

zksb09 and RudyTBag like this.
  15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What did you say bad about Pat Riley? o_O

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We're going to look like fools if we blow this.

Lost Ariza, lost Luc, preserved the MLE with the idea we were going to use it on somebody useful. It's pretty clear the guy we're targeting for that is Melo.

Now that's looking like an uncertainty.

What happens if/when he picks Miami? What do we do with the MLE and down two rotation pieces?

James Ennis? Okay, that's one...[gulp]. I'm keeping an open mind, though.

Does our plan, at that point, become to sign both Ennis and either Graham or Nunnally?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

When you say Houston, do you mean the team as it is currently constructed or as you hope or expect it to look by November? If you mean as is currently is; the gap is much bigger than it is between Boston and Toronto/Philly.

I included Miami with an "if they added the right pieces" caveat.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bc a defense wont be nearly as good enough as it needs to be with both melo/harden playing big minutes together

Zboy likes this.
  19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Pray? I'm not wasting good prayers on stuff like this lol

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

The bench comment is interesting, and I think it relays two critical points for the Rockets:

1) They want to keep PJ at the 4. While he can effectively play the 3, his best spot is at the 4, where he can be a menace inside. Moving him to the 3, which would imply that they don't intend to add more 3&D wings, could also limit our opportunities to play the Tuckwagon lineup.
    2) They want to limit the amount of time Harden and Melo play together. I think this was a big reason why Tucker supplanted Anderson mid-year.

If Melo will accept this role, I love the potential of our 2nd unit between CP3, Gordon and Melo.

YOLO likes this.