1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2nd round pick - De'Anthony Melton

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Jun 21, 2018.

?

Do you like the pick?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2018.
  1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    92.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. mockster

mockster Member

Melo had him 7th

Rockets FTW likes this.
  2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Good stuff, reminds me of a Kyle Lowry a little bit with his solid overall game and developing pull up 3. He is longer and more athletic than Lowry. Also plays with a similar motor although Lowry's motor is hard to beat. Another comp I like is young Gilbert Arenas. Maybe it is the number zero that he wears but I do see some flashing of Arenas at times. Looks calm with the ball, good decision maker, quick first step like Gilbert and athletic enough to finish in the paint through contact. Keep developing young fella! Backup CP3 and learn from the best! Morey will do everything he can to sign this guy to at least a 3 year deal.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

given our current need, i think he's going to be playing every game. his 3 looks fine to me, and so does his passing. i think we're playing a lot of small ball this year. i hope morey locks him up to a parsons contract

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So does this mean everyone has jumped off the Lil Duval hype train and onto the D. Melton welcome wagon!

Oh Clutchfans, when the likes of Kelvin Cato, Donte Greene, and Greg Williams would all get the same SL Cato style contract and still ask for their money back when it all falls apart.

[​IMG]

True Rocket and roslolian like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wise words. Morey owned some of the posters as per usual.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Current need for what? The 5th or 6th guard

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You realize that nobody has called for any of these kids to get paid anything more than the minimum?

I mean, I'm glad you're cool and don't fall for summer league. Bravo.

donkeypunch, Vivi and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Well *******...

JuNx likes this.
  10. jcmoon

our current need for more rotation players...we played a lot of small ball against golden state, playing our best players with eric gordon playing with paul and harden, and tucker at the five. we can do this more, small ball.

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Except Melton has base line Avery Bradley comps... He can be better and his motor is VERY high. Seen this guy play at Galen Center a plethora of times and his sheer ability to stay with the ball and get up is insane. If his three ball improves, we have the steal of the draft and I would expect Morey to lock him up for 4-5 years.

I'm excited to see what he can do when playing with guys like CP/Harden/Tucker/Capela. If you loved Pat Bev, your going to love him.

D-rock likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He seems to have the tools needed to help right away if his 3 ball is legit. Don't know if I want him handling the ball a lot right now, but he will be playing with Harden or Paul at all times so it's not really a pressing need.

He's looked pretty damn good these last 2 games.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  13. jcmoon

i agree, i think his ceiling is higher than beverleys... he can drive and dish, he needs to take beverley's role. he looks better than that D leager who was trying out for us during the season for a while, forgot his name.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If they play Carter-Williams, who has proven to be absolutely terrible at basketball, over this dude, then that is a mistake.

saleem likes this.
  16. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Gilbert Arenas seems like a bit of a reach, but with a quick enough first step and a working jumper anything is possible.

That being said, second round picks that turn into 13 win players come around maybe once a decade, the second round pick who I think can reach that level is Nikola Jokic. There is a 14 year difference between their draft dates.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Swiss Army Knife is a good representation of his skill set. His elite skill is defense, but his game is very well rounded.

What stuck out to me most watching him last night was the pace he played at...not frenetic like most of the other guys, but always under control, like he lets the game come to him rather than forcing action. He doesn't have a lot of wasted motion in what he does...seems like he's got a plan when he drives. Love that he's not hesitating on the open 3s....very good sign.

I'm intrigued by his potential. I don't think he will be down in the G League for long unless his shooting to date has been a mirage.

Vivi, D-rock and Rockets FTW like this.
  18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Exactly. Now that you mention it, completely forgot of the player he reminds me of (in regards to the always being in control and the no hesitation)... He reminds me of a smaller Kawhi. He seems at ease in everything he does and nothing seems to rattle him.

Great defense and a knack for knocking down shots (has to be more consistent though). In fact, he grasps those moments and shines. I'm starting to believe this guy could have a big role on team next year.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Who dafuq is Greg Williams?

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Melton's outside shot is better than I thought. I was hoping to see better passing from him. I like his defense and energy. I don't think he will be in the G-League for long. CP3 and Harden will be great tutors for him.

Rockets FTW likes this.