1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Michael Carter-Williams to one-year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilaal14, Jul 3, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Michael Carter Williams over Trevon Duval roster spot is in jeopardy, and it could be this years
    Francisco Garcia in keeping him over Robert Covington. Daryl, MCW has been a bust with no deep range shot and turnover prone. Sign Trevon Duval already

jakedasnake likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love that they included "1 year deal" in that promo image. Just to let people know....."yeah just a marginal addition."

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

As mentioned, let's hope this signing doesn't keep us from keeping a potential up and coming player. I know we have ways to keep Duval, etc. but if there is a decision between keeping MCW and a young up and coming player, we need to stick it out and keep the younger player with upside. MCW is what he is. Onuaku to me needs to be on the chopping block if it comes down to it. I haven't watched him in Summer League but I just don't think he will be a contributor so he may be the odd man out if we have to keep a player with potential.

On a side note, we need trade assets that can potentially contribute. Donte Green was once traded for Ron Artest after an unbelievable Summer League performance. At the very least, having guys that can at least be sweeteners in potential trades like Dekker and Harrell were will be important.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

"The theme of all of our signings is guys who can outplay the contract we're signing them to." This is the goal of every GM. It is probably more true for teams up against the salary cap. Keep your key pieces, and fill in the rest with over-achievers.

Ariza wanted more money, so he left. Was he a key piece? chemistry wise, for sure. Defense, absolutely. Offense, eh.

Luc - Not sure why the team didn't up the offer by 1.5M, unless they thought the can find someone >= cheap. It FEELS like a lose, but is it? Given his shoulder, and did not play in the POs (much, and not effectively). He could have contributed if he was healthy. Extra man you trusted in the rotation would have helped. Key piece? no, but nice piece to have.

Capela - We spent all year saying he was one of our key 3 players. Part of the big 3 on a championship contender. Great for his confidence. Now that he wants to get payed like part of the big 3, team is like "eh, not so fast". Is there someone to take his place? Not this year. Still wresting with this one. 4/80M maybe? If he can create his own offense, it is a no brainer. Haven't seen that piece yet.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, tbf, he was bad, but he also played in bad teams, i won't be shocked if he has a decent season here, better than what people thinks anyway.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Total speculation on my end, but I'm getting the vibe we might experiment with MCW at the 2/3 given what we've heard and know about his defense and ball-handling.

Evan Turner 2.0?

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I have an oddly optimistic feeling about him surprising a lot of the league this season.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Oh boy.

When 6 in a row is special you know all hope is lost.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol. yeah not sure he really had to add the 6 in a row part.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Same here kind of.

A part of me is like, If Morey believes in him, then I believe in him.

The other half looks at his stats and thinks he’s gonna be straight trash.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Not 1 , not 2 ......

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Still can’t dribble...

Vivi and Y2JT like this.
  16. spankz141

spankz141 Member

What's interesting is when Morey signed both MCW and Ennis. Both were signed early in free agency so I'm sure Morey and co. think both players can fit the system well.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Rims?

DreamShook likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden looks... um...

chubby
    big boned
    Rubenesque
    curvy
    thicc
    voluptuous
    Boterian

#438 topfive, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    DreamShook likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember when they reported that Boki hit x consecutive 3s in practice, we were all very excited.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The real question is: Did he travel in the last shot?

topfive likes this.