1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is smart, but he's got no sense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ariza’s defense was very important against GS...healthy Luc would’ve helped too, and he was very important during the regular season...now we have neither and are adding in Melo and his amazing defense

I look forward to Melo and his defense playing 30 minutes a game in a series against GS

this team is worse than last year and the defense won’t be as good...convince me why I should be happy about this

Hakeemtheking and Ziggy like this.
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I wouldn’t want to mention he has the size to be able to guard someone like Klay Thompson, too. That doesn’t jive with the Morey bashing either

topfive likes this.
  3. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

DM I’ve notice has no sense of urgency. He’s lost Ariza, LRMM, and is about to loose Capela and loose out on Melo yet him and Tilman are at the Vegas games acting like it’s all good and dandy while the team president tweets about people needing to relax. GTFO here

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When you phrase it like that it's super lulzy. Harden went to a Paris fashion show, comes back and he only has 3 teammates left.

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Sometimes Morey outsmarts himself. Case in point with the KLow/Bosh off-season. I still like banking on Melo to take Ariza’s roster spot, but at some point you have to realize that we could end up with no Melo Luc or Ariza. What then? Risk v reward, reward of >30 Melo could be limited.

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

What a waste. Ranting and raving and salivating for Lebron when the truth is we couldn't even have him. Then the argument the Rockets can't pay Luc or Clint when all that was on the minds and lips were Lebron.

For what?

Now you didn't even sign arguably the two most pivotal players who will impact our chances of returning to the conference finals?

Et tu Brute?

7. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

You're crying over something out of your control. get over it! You still haven't came up with something better but crying over a player who shot 0-12! The Other who couldn't get on the court with a bum shoulder! At least Melo's Worst season averages are better than Ariza's and Luc's Best season averages!

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hey guys. Remember when Morey planned on getting Bosh and once he did he would have matched Parsons. Then Bosh chose not to come here and Morey decided it wasn’t a good idea to keep Parsons (Yes it was a completely different contract situation but it was still seen as a step back). We not only lost a starter and at the time someone who was considered our third best player, we also gave up Lin and Asik for no player in return. How did that work out? Do we wish we kept Parsons?

Again. Not saying it isn’t unfortunate that we don’t have all those players that we loved so much for a fantastic run last season. But at the end of the day, no other GM would have moved on retaining Ariza on the first day when he had $15 million dollars on the table. Unfortunate about Luc but he was not integral in our playoff run and the whole not having confidence in his shoulder thing made me think it would be nice to keep him but I wouldn’t give him the full MLE we have to offer. That would mean we have no shot of getting anyone else to try and replace Ariza.

I promise you Harden is not sweating it. He said as much when Parsons left.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  9. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

How is he going to lose Capela? He's restricted for a Reason!!

SuperS32 likes this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It’s true we may still not get Melo. But again, I can’t reiterate this enough. Luc did not do sh*t against the Warriors and I believe we had them beat. Fine we won’t win as many regular season games as last year; but we’re sticking to the game plan of trying to beat the Warriors. There has to be a roster shake up if you plan on keeping Paul and Capela (I know it hasn’t happened but it’s still the plan. Gotta hope that works out). Golden State had to say goodbye to Zaza and Javale when they got Cousins. No brainer? Yes. But it doesn’t change the fact that Cousins isn’t going to be available for most of the season. Only center they have right now is Kevon Looney.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

It's: lose
    Not: loose

ROXonROXonROX and ZJP3 like this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

WE CAN’T HAVE IT ALL. YOU CANT KEEP CP3 AND HOPE TO KEEP CAPELA AND ALSO PAY ARIZA MORE THAN $15 MILLION DOLLARS OR COMMIT YOUR SMALL FORWARD SPOT TO SOMEONE WHO HURT HIS SHOULDER TWICE AND THEN HAD IT TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME MENTALLY. STOP CRYING AND GET REAL.

YOU CAN’T TRY AND LOW BALL CP3 AND RISK PISSING HIM OFF AND LOSING HIM. YOU HAVE TO RISK NOT USING YOUR HIGHEST EXCEPTION AND RISK LOSING LUC MBAH MOUTE!

AND IM THE PESSIMISTIC ONE!?!?!?!

Cstyle42 likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You can have it all. There's a team in Oklahoma with no chance at a title paying the luxury tax. There's no reason we cant. We aren't hard-capped. Not paying the luxury tax doesn't help anyone other than the owner. Paying Ariza $15mil for 1 year doesn't even have any negative long term implications.

Hakeemtheking and J.R. like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ok. So we should be less like the Houston Rockets and more like the OKC Thunder. Rigghhhhttttt

Cstyle42 and Sajan like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ariza is not worth $15 million. Luc didn't even have surgery on a shoulder that will keep popping out until he does.

bilaal14, Sajan and Zoplicone like this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Like how are people not seeing this?
    Not only is it about worth with Ariza. There isn’t a GM that would have handled that differently. I bet 99% of my sh*t that every other GM would have lost Ariza in that same situation as well. I don’t think we even had Paul agreed on when Ariza got that offer. Even if Ariza did come back to us and say “hey I got $15 mil offer, give me that right now and I’ll stay”, who in their right mind would sign off on that on the spot.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Rockets still have the best Forward from last years team in Tucker.

Not too worried about losing Luc or Ariza tbh. I think the Rockets will be fine.

bilaal14 likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's the negative of paying Ariza $15m for 1 year? There isn't one. Unless you are the one writing the check. As a fan I want to win games. But it sounds like you're rooting for the best bottom line.

J.R. likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Okay... be like the Warriors. They kept an aging wing defender. Overpaid. For 3 years. He makes more per year than Ariza does now. That team won the championship. :rolleyes:

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They could easily lose Capela. He could accept the qualifying offer, play his ass off next season, and go get paid by some other team a year from now. Only then, he'll be unrestricted which means the Rockets have no say in where he goes. And Morey isn't crazy. He'll wind up being forced to deal Clint by February so the team doesn't lose him for nothing.

This offseason is an unmitigated disaster. I get not matching Ariza's offer. But they tried to go cheap with Luc and lost him and now they're gonna drive Clint away by lowballing him.