1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets determined to sign Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 9, 2018.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Jerry Lin says otherwise.

2. BackdoorHarden

Melo showing everyone he's on Harden's level on Defense.

so awesome

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Well for one, you don’t pay a guy who bricked every 3 in the biggest game $14+ million on a one year deal. Secondly, you don’t pay another guy who also couldn’t shoot worth a **** in the playoffs, is literally a shoulder injury away from retirement and is scared to try a layup $4+ million. The latter missed countless layups in the post season as well... when he played.

I don’t think it has anything to do with paying the luxury tax. I’m sure Tilman would pay it all day if we had constant finals appearances. You don’t overpay for guys who shrink or have a long injury history.

Dan Tony plays a high pace run and gun offense. You need younger, athletic guys for that. Is Melo the answer? No. But if CP3 and Harden can own any PG/SHG combo in the league, which they can, then let Melo play PF with Clint behind him and get a young SF to space and drain 3s. That’s what Morey’s job is right now and he gets paid the big bucks to make it happen

bilaal14 and rockets1995 like this.
  4. PatBev

PatBev Member

But Harden was also MVP....

5. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

We can never have enough Melo threads apparently .What's another 50 of them?

6. tobster

tobster Member

So CP3 hasn't made regular guys much better and he definitely can't do it for a guy that can fill up the cup? Then I guess we have to agree to disagree.. Melo isn't my first choice to bring in here but at this point in time I think he's the best we have to work with. I think they are still a top 3 team in the West.

7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Yes, typically if you score more points than the other team, you win games, even if you only score 80.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Luc MBah Melo . . .

*frown*

Rocket River

BigShasta likes this.
  9. tobster

tobster Member

So defense is the Key to beat the Warriors? Okay. I've always thought you have to outscore the other team. And if you can't stop KD... I think you need to keep scoring with them. Ariza and Luc didn't shut anyone down in the WCF. While they were on the floor they couldn't hit shots which hurt us the most.

seclusion and DaonlyLA like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

its well noted with what my expectations are with melo. Im now praying that we get a true 3 and D wing that is ready and capable somehow. no matter what people think, these are two big losses to a team wanting to make another run similar to this past season.

11. tobster

tobster Member

I agree its losses. But not losses we can't overcome. And my belief in Melo is more about my belief in CP3 and that other guy... the MVP. I'm not worried.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

you realize the rockets transitioned their defense because of this right. they went out and got PJ and LMM so they could equip their defense to doing so and matching up with them in this way. Theres a reason why this translated to most success theyve ever had. The rockets have been a good offensive team for the past couple seasons. Defense becoming elite was the difference.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

as you can tell i certainly am. but theres a few more months til the season so hopefully some of these prayers are answered

14. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I like to read the comments before saying my 2cent, so I don’t repeat **** already F*cking said 34 56 times...

bilaal14 and Angkor Wat like this.
  15. tobster

tobster Member

I'm just blown away by the response that we have today when we can still make moves is all. I'm sure we will be right up there again next season. I'm looking forward to it and hoping CP3 will be healthy the whole way.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

do we need him to be an elite scorer? he can still put up 20 a game, shooting over 40%. now hes in a better situation and that can play a huge difference. he will be playing with two of the most unselfish guys in the game.

17. Houston09

Houston09 Member

I find it funny last year this board was giddy for melo. Now all the son he is horrible.

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

But value doesn’t just come on offense. Even though he missed every shot in game 7 if he didn’t play we probably lose by 30. His defense was a big part of why we were up and in the game to begin with. Durant was awful in the first half of that game and it had a lot to do with Ariza. How do you replace Arizas defense? How do you replace Lucs defense? Is there a back up plan besides Melo?

Not to mentioned he played over 40 minutes a game starting in game 3 while chasing curry, Klay and Durant around screens all day. Not surprised he didn’t have the legs to shoot in game 7.

Dude has played second most minutes on our team every year he’s been here and has been an iron man rarely ever missing time due to injury. Yes I woulda paid him 15 million.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

alot of unexpected things going on doesn't help. a rocky situation with capella, losing both your best wing defenders, signing mcw

20. 22 Drex Hoops

22 Drex Hoops Member

Melo would be a great addition to the Rockets and likely make us a better team.

(1) Consider how D'Antoni uses the pick and roll. The four is on the wing behind the 3 point line. The five sets the pick for the one. The two and the three space the flour. Think of how many times Anderson caught the ball open but, only able to shoot. Anthony can drive and dish, the Rockets could set a second pick for Anthony. Anthony would be the secondary scorer. Anthony would likely excel at this role. When D'Antoni coached in New York, D'Antoni lost his job trying to get Anthony to play power forward. Anthony has aged and plays the power forward anyway. D'Antoni likely still has some of his old ideas.

Consider this link:

(2) "Ariza is gone and Moute is gone our defense is terrible." Comparing Ariza and Anthony defensively is apples to oranges. Anthony mostly plays the four these days. We can and likely would add another wing defender to play small forward. Anthony being able to score on the pick and role will outweigh any loss of defense at the four.

(3) Most "insider" posts (Thank you for the information) has said the Rockets have several moves not just one. It is with mixed feelings I suggest a Melo signing means a trade with Anderson and Gordon for a "3 and D" Small Forward or maybe Love. Melo would be a start of a change not the final piece.

Just my two cents. Happy Free Agent Season!