1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is smart, but he's got no sense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Where was all this energy when the Rockets signed Luc?? I tell you where, Insert the Connor McGregor (Who Da F@ck is that guy??!!) lol
    We can add 3 and D guys......it's not always the player, it's the system in which he plays in. Houston's switch defense was one of the best last year and still will be because of their principles. I'm not saying Trevor and Luc weren't important because their were.....they are just as important as the next guys that CAN take their places. It takes more hustle and heart than individual defense in our defense....players need to keep players in front and switch on all picks and it sucks we lost two of the better players for that, but we aren't losing Kawhi and PG13 lol. We can't afford to loose Clint, PJ CP3 and Gordon .....we had a lot of defensive minded wings, but we drafted some too and the way things are looking...guys like Wayne Ellington, Malcom Delaney, Arron Afflalo, James Ennis and Shabazz Muhammad would be happy to get that Vet min because that's all that left for most lol. As long as we get Clint signed and Melo in.....Daryl will handle the rest....he better lol

topfive likes this.
  2. OpportunityCost

Exactly, and the only person not on the team any longer is Ariza and IMO, he couldn't stop the player that needed to be stopped anyway - Durantula. Not trying to minimize Ariza's departure, but I will give Morey time and see what he can do. One thing I will not miss is Ariza's ill-advised shot selection, at times.

tobster likes this.
  3. mightybosstone

I don't necessarily think free agency is the only way the Rockets can add 3 and D wings, though. I still think there's a chance Morey considers some kind of a swap with Anderson's bad contract for another bad contract, like Bazemore, Batum or Courtney Lee. Morey has some assets at his disposal to make a deal like that happen if he wants it to. And there are still a few quality wings in the market if that's the route he ultimately goes.

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

He isn't a fool. This mistake is bigger than signing Anderson.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

true to an extent. but if we look at the names available out there. there arent the PJ and LMM's this year as far as FA's. both of these guys were high iq vets who played hard. pretty hard to find that atm as a free agent

6. GottaHaveHeart

Moute didn’t even play well in playoffs...what we needed was more scoring down the stretch

7. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Ughhh no. Its everyone is tired because we lost moute and paul making everyone lose their legs and shot. It wasnt either or.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

"we dont need lebron to win a championship" - Harden 2018 after winning MVP.

K, Harden let's see you prove it this year but I doubt we'll beat the Warriors unless they all get injured.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  9. macan

macan Member

i'll forgive Morey if he can pull off a kahwi trade

10. Sanity2disChaos

Let’s hope he is forgiven!

macan likes this.
  11. StrawberryJamm

Advanced Analytics saying more THICC. Tall and skinny aint gonna beat the warriors.
    Morey going all in on stumpy. Paul/Harden/Gordon/Melo/Tucker, dad bod is in.

12. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I think this is too premature in terms of blaming morey for letting go Ariza/Luc - mostly because we are not sure if:

1) Its because he didnt want to pay out the money and save room for a move/next seasons free agency.

2) Its actually Tillman who doesnt want to fork out the cash to pay these guys, limiting his cost.

It could very well be #2 as we don't know how our owner works, and until we know that answer we dont know who to blame. IF Morey wanted to sign them but Tillman said no, not much Moreygod can do.

13. StevieCrossover

Morey can't have em all.

14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Do you even basketball, bro?

15. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Dude you not beating the Warriors with just Defense!! Ariza not an all world defender! Ariza didn't go to the Suns because of Defense he left because of the Money! Luc left because of the Money! Not about Defense! So they left! Now what you going to do?? If Melo is your best bet then you go get Melo!

16. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

At this point I’d be thrilled If the Rockets signed Melo, seeing as how we don’t have anyone at the SF position. Off the bench I’d like to see Dante Cunningham signed as the back up.

17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think morey's done enough to deserve the fan base's trust. Trust means maintaining support even when you don't agree or see things the same way. What good is trust if it's contingent upon people only doing what you think they should?

Morey-ball is about finding value where others overlook it or can't secure it. That means spending big on Max star players and finding value with minimum contract players. Anywhere else in between it's harder to secure value. LMM was valuable but let's not pretend he didn't benefit from our system either. He's replaceable and if morey thinks the MLE is better spent elsewhere I trust him more than anyone else on this board.

18. MystikArkitect

Or dribbling. He was just never consistent. PJ is money from the corners. Ariza was either great or God awful.

Luc was great defensively but couldn’t be counted on offensively.

Let’s get Melo I guess and trade Ryno for Bazemore. Would essentially make Luc/Ariza/Ryno turn into Bazemore/Melo/Green.

cerophilik likes this.
  19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Oh we still aren't giving Morey the benefit of doubt yet?

bilaal14 likes this.
  20. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

My hope is that morey is preparing to make a move and he had to keep a certain flexibility that’s why we didn’t offer Luc more. We prob moving Anderson somehow and getting someone decent that at least can contribute and knows his role. Or that trade will free some money to sign someone. Idk but I just want something to happen already. :|