1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back the Oiler name

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Apollos, Bobcats, Stallions, Texans, and Wildcatters...those were the final 5 names Bob wanted and chose the Texans...jeez not good choices . Maybe the Apollos would be cool since space theme but idk

2. Buck Turgidson

Like I said, you are fun to **** with.

3. conquistador#11

god no. but I do wish they'd change uniforms. I like the red jerseys with the blue pants or the ketchups but with the old texans logo, just relocate the cowboy a little to the east on the logo.
    [​IMG]

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Would have been GREAT if the Gamblers championship was NFL.

Plowman likes this.
  5. msn

msn Member

umm, no. Hell, no.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Cities with mascots that tie in to their historical backgrounds have the advantage of bringing the community together around a shared sense of identity. The Oilers was a perfect name for Houston, given that the oil/energy industry is the economic engine that built and still drives the city. The Steelers is the analogous situation in Pittsburgh, with the historical industry that built the town being tied into the name. When Houston lost the Oilers name, they lost decades of nostalgia and all the history that goes with it. Starting fresh with the Texans name seemed like a good idea at that time, given how the Oilers ended things (both on and off the field), but in the long run, I think it was a bad decision. Moving back to the Oilers would be an economic windfall for Bob McNair. Everyone loves the colors and the larger-than-life personalities that were a part of many Oilers teams (Earl Campbell, Bum Phillips, Warren Moon, Haywood Jeffires, Ray Childress, etc... Jersey/hat/gear sales would absolutely skyrocket if they went back to the Oilers. Enough time has passed to where the Buffalo meltdown is no longer an impediment. Bringing back the Oilers name would reinvigorate the fanbase and restore/create a passion for the team that is missing.

Let's face it -- Houstonians love nostalgia and they love the Oilers. For Chrissakes, the Astrodome is still standing! Going back to the Oilers name would be a great move that would be smart financially and also bring the city together. Go negotiate with the Bud Adams estate to get the name back. There's a price that gets the deal done. I will volunteer my world class negotiating abilities to make this deal happen myself if need be.

GOOD DAY

Lynus302 and Jake Tower like this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Don't think it will ever happen, but I would love it. I've said it here before, but I hate that we missed out on something at least space themed, given that there was no way McNair was going to choose Oilers at that time.

The Texans look to me like they belong in Dallas. They look like the Texas Rangers started a football team.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

Oilers won the first two AFL Championships, which led to the whole AFL/NFL Superbowl rivalry.

Know your history.

[​IMG]

#48 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

The fact that our players want it is what is cool to me. Tennessee doesn't care about the Oilers history; but we do.

The Oilers are our history, and it should be brought back to us. No City says "Oilers" like Houston.

CometsWin and MadMax like this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It was funny for AFL's 50th anniversary when the Titans and Chiefs played in Kansas CIty wearing gear on the sidelines that said Dallas and Houston.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

And there is a HUGE difference in the Dallas Texans, which lasted a couple years, vs. the Oilers History, which anyone over 30 knows about. 35 years. Every other franchise with that type of length has been able to keep the name.

CometsWin likes this.
  12. pocketrocket81

I am indifferent to taking back the old Oilers name even though I have fond memories. What I cringe at when I think about it is how someone ever decided that Texans should be the choice. I have never fully embraced a name that was originally held by that evil empire up the interstate. If we ever do win a super bowl I am sure some Dallas idiot fans will try to lay claim that we only won it because we used their old name or some bull along that line.
    What was wrong with the old USFL Houston Gamblers or even Toros those were my choices way back when.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

oilers >>>>>>>> texans

anyone that disagrees is an idiot.

CometsWin likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You know you're a **** level team when 15 years later all people want is to change the bland ass uniforms. Either you won 15 chips and people are so fatigued from winning they just need SOMETHING to change......or 15 years of failure occurred. Hmmm....

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....doesn't matter. The Oilers are dead. Not coming back...neither is the History. Get over it.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is what gets me. No names fit Houston better than Oilers, Rockets, and Astros. They just fit.

17. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And? LOL. Doesn't matter. Never coming back. Sorry. Not going to happen. Fit has nothing to do with it.

The Adams family owns the name and history. I'm sure if McNair gives the Tens of Millions of dollars for the brand, they would give it back. No way that happens. McNair wants his own legacy not tied to the Oilers. Texans name is not going anywhere. The Texans will not change the colors to Columbia Blue.....they are not changing the logo.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You seem a little obsessed with the subject. Did the Oilers hurt you? o_O

20. Buck Turgidson

Show us on the bear where the bad team touched you...

[​IMG]

Red.Glare, B-Bob and CometsWin like this.