1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Flake Alert] Robert Williams (Texas A&M), Celtics #27 pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Jul 3, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This kid might not be ready to be a millionaire.

Good friend of mine, born and raised in Boston, sent me this text:

"So the Celtics draft pick from A&M, Robert Williams, returned for a Sophomore year because his father said he was too immature for the NBA. He "overslept" and was an hour late for his first press conference and then flew back to Texas for a week before the Celtics first day of rookie-camp, but "missed his flight" back and the first day of practice. Promising! I guess at least he didnt OD on coke..."
    haha

TheRealAllpro and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

yes it's well known.
    Why did your friend said taht about the coke? Are there also rumours about drug abuse or is it because of Len Bias?

Anyway this kid was a literal sleeper of the draft.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. heypartner

Bias

Why do you say it was "well known." You mean the missing press conference, et cetera, since the draft. Or were there well-known college stories (to go with the "too immature" comment from his dad) that factored into his draft rating. I'm asking because my buddy lives in Spain now (for decades), so is sometimes late to the news, would appreciate more details.

5. malakas

malakas Member

both. There were many journalists in the introduction conference who had to wait for him for 2 hours before it was postponed and reported on it extensively the last 2-3 days. Also about the practice. The Celtics had said that they will deal with it internally..

Also pre draft the reason he fell was presicely because most teams believed he didn't like the game.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's in his own world. Talented. Kemp-like potential. But he'll probably be out of the league in 2yrs.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  7. heypartner

Did you just use a flake to describe the potential of a flake. :D

napalm06 likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

9. Lebronto

Lebronto Member

Who even considers college over NBA? That’s the dumbest **** I’ve ever

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ehh.

I'll reserve judgment for now. If the Celtics (and a huge windfall, rookie contract or otherwise) can't get him to stop these bad habits, no team will.

11. heypartner

Can you elaborate upon "these bad habits" wrt college stories, or anything that would prompt a dad to say he's too immature for the NBA after his freshman year.

Zingy says "in his own world"
    malakas says "doesn't like the game"

Both are rather vague. Be cool to hear a concrete story from an A&M fan

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I recall his first few games for A&M his body language was piss poor but it improved over time. He's super talented but gets emotional on the court and it takes him out of his game, he could dominate but he's got that Eddie Griffin vibe to him...

heypartner likes this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be fair, I graduated from A&M in 2012, so I don't quite keep up with collegiate sports the way an undergrad might.

The potential is there, for him to become an athletic, bruising PF. The "bad habits" I'm referring too, are mostly what's transpired since being drafted. AFAIK, he didn't exhibit these during his time at A&M, although he WAS suspended for 2 games at the start of the season, last year. No idea what that was about, but it was only 2 games, so nothing major, I suppose.

He was good enough after his freshman year to potentially be a lottery pick, if not top-10. But he decided not to jump to the NBA, despite the money an extra year in the NBA would bring. To some, this might have been a stupid decision (what if he sustained a severe injury? future, gone.). To me though, it tells me that he set a goal to become a higher pick, and that he knew he could get better. Meaning he had motivation to become better.

For whatever reason, he dropped to #27, even though he was, again, projected to be another lottery pick (around #12/#13, to the Clippers). It's not like his sophomore year took a dip in production - he averaged one less point a game, but one more rebound per, and his FG% rose, as well.

It's probably a good thing for him that he wasn't picked by a lottery team, because that would be a lot of pressure (being a high pick) and you're probably on a bad team with questionable management. Instead, he falls to an EC power, one that everyone is predicting will represent the East in the Finals. Good coach, championship PG, fantastic wing play and a loyal-as-hell city/fans. Can't ask for much more as a rookie, settling into the NBA.

So, time will tell, and I'm reserving judgment. If any coach can set Williams on the right path, it's Brad Stevens. If any city can set Williams on the right path, it's Boston. Because they will destroy you, haha.

Richie_Rich, da_juice and heypartner like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What vibe did Eddie Griffin have?

I don't remember him being r****ded or a flake. Not in the slightest.

He was extremely kind and quiet, even while fighting off his demons.

raining threes likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Been following this guy since the Celtics drafted him. Seems to be a complete loser and it's apparent they made a mistake drafting him.

Didn't see the guy play one time at A&M. Vegas summer league should be fun.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Lots of talent but you could sense he had some uhh 'baggage' emotional or otherwise. I think w/EG he lost his older brother and that started things getting out of control in his life.

raining threes likes this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Nah. Potential buys you lots of chances. But will he ever amount to anything? If not...totally his own fault.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, if you didn't see this guy play at A&M, and only started following him after he was drafted, of course you're going to think he's a dud. Calling him a complete loser is pretty harsh, especially since he hasn't even hit the court yet.

Your post is like saying you never saw Doncic play, and only started following him since the draft. He's not playing in summer league, which obviously suggests either he's afraid of competition or that the Mavs think he's a total bust, right?

Honestly, he's made 2 mistakes so far - one you can overlook (missed a conference call the morning after being drafted) and one you should admonish him for (missing a flight to Boston, and thus missing the first practice). He's also 20, so I'd cut him a break.

Side note: I feel like people are going to compare him to Manziel: both young, both Aggie products, both with not-so-great first impressions. both picked lower than where they probably should have gone. But just give Williams time. I'm not saying he'll suddenly have the best behavior, or that he'll continue to be a truant professional, but just give him time, and his true self will show.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Comments are savage AF.