1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman has a chance to be the 1st astro since...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Air Langhi, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Morgan Ensberg to get 100 walks. Can't believe its over a decade ago since an Astros drew a 100 walks. Bagwell used to do it every year. Makes you appreciate what he did even more now. I mean he was 300/400/500 100 walk guy every year. Alex's bat discipline is the best on the team. He has more walks than strikeouts.

He is probably the second best player on the team and if he improves his hitting I think he can be a 300/400/500 player. Other than altuve we haven't had one of those since Berkman a decade ago. Lunhow hit it out of the park with his draft picks. If he had drafted Bryant instead of Appel we might have has greatest infield in the history of baseball, but even as is we have the best infield in baseball.

Marteen and CometsWin like this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If he'd drafted Bryant we'd have a shot at the greatest team ever. Especially when you consider Appel was traded for Giles. o_O

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Bregman is a true student of the game. Verlander gave him major props.

Clutch Gene is also evident.

Shoutout to Bagwell's 100-100-100 consecutive season streak. His best run total is Top 5 in MLB history, IIRC... or, hasn't been duplicated in a long while.

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kris Bryant really was overlooked by me and the Astros, Austin Meadows I really liked at the time not Appel. Appel was really awkward when he pitches, can't locate his pitches throughout the minors to out of the league. Kris hitting 40 home runs in the minors is really good indication. Plus he looks a lot like Chandler Parsons.

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Could have had Kris Bryant or JD Martinez or kept Jed Lowrie. Oh well we have Bregman!

6. Progs

Progs Member

We probably wouldn't had the opportunity to draft Bregman if it wasn't for Brady Aiken's bum elbow. As far as Kris Bryant goes... He had failed 4 drug tests in college (weed). I'm pretty sure Luhnow didn't wanted to take that risk at that time when the Astros were rebuilding.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Singleton faints

@bobrek

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pretty surprised Berkman didn't have more seasons of 100 walks.

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If we had drafted Kris Bryant, where does he play? What is this best infield?

10. Buck Turgidson

1st if Bregman. 3rd if no Bregman. DH Yuli. [/daydream]

houstonstime likes this.
  11. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Bagwell always said the 2 most important stats a player should strive for are Runs and RBIs.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Many times, opposing pitchers will pitch around a guy to get to the next one. In such a instance, that guy can accrue more walks than normal. I am pretty sure no one is pitching around Bregman to get to Altuve.

Just saying, getting extra walks where Bregman bats in the lineup is more, not less difficult. He has to work for them.

Extra kudos to Bregman.

arkoe, Houstunna and No Worries like this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While we're at it, trade Gattis, Kemp, and Marisnick for Trout so we can have Reddick, Trout, Springer in the outfield... Marwin can sub for anyone. Thats a 162 win team right there.

Edit: We gotta stop here... I can only get so erect.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Could be 1B, but I think most likely he'd be at 3rd or LF.