1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back the Oiler name

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

We need this to happen. LUV YA BLUE!

[EDIT] it appears to start muted, but the song is awesome.

#1 Roscoe Arbuckle, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No.

msn likes this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Oilers is Houston. You don't agree? Probably weren't here at the time.

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not this again

The Hunted and macho GRANDE like this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, absolutely not. The Oilers will forever hold the place where they belong, in history and in our hearts. While they took their lumps, had crazy moments off the field (see Lad), and had Bud at the helm....They, ultimately made us so proud. We had to experience the sweet and sour. And , as sour as the tough moments were, the sweet was as good as it gets for me. It was a Houston thing, folks full of civic pride bonded together..Those guys not only represented us, but LIVED with us..were part of the fabric of our city. The pep rallies...oh lord. Unfortunately, they played not only at the same time, but in the same division with one of the top dynasties of all time...or we would have AT LEAST one Super Bowl title with them.

To give this team, that name, would be an abomination. I can never feel the way about the Texans as I did about the Oilers. And it's not just because it happened in my youth. Bob McNair, and this whole franchise..from the time they were named, the "Texans"...were all about corporate money. I'm not going any further, as I root for them..they are my team....But, don't EVER confuse the two...not even close.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Oilers are dead, I'd be fine bringing the history back to Houston, but the Oilers need to remain dead.

UTSA2step, macho GRANDE and msn like this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We get it, you're old and went to pep rallies. I was here for Oilers too, and there is no need to disrespect the current Texans players.. "Fabric of our city" Yea, Watt hasn't done sh*t with us, just shouts down from his Ivory tower. Bob McNair, may be a complete idiot addicted to money and keeps putting his foot in his mouth, but he would NEVER let football leave this town again. Bud Adams was a complete joke.

Just for my own amusement, is there anything in the world post 2000 that is better than pre 2000 in your mind?

plutoblue11 and Houstunna like this.
  8. airflights92

airflights92 Member

No oilers. We need the Gamblers!!

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would never take ANYTHING away from the players. And, JJ is like no other. He IS the man...on and off the field. But, we live in a different time, where technology has connected everything/everyone....but also, has left a clinical detachment that is broadening.There was a closeness , a bond between the city and that team that can never be duplicated, as far as I'm concerned.

I will say this...we have a special city , here...who has bonded through thick and thin..always..In a time where technological evolution equals societal devolution, we remain friendlier than most big cities..closer....but, it's changed to a degree here just like it has everywhere. That down home southern hospitality and caring for your fellow man obviously still exists in a big way.

Sorry, couldn't resist with the video...hanging curveball/silver platter deal. : )

Peace @houstonstime .

#10 Plowman, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    houstonstime likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree when you put it that way, social media has both brought us closer to yet farther from famous people and athletes. Everything is done through a screen these days. But also on that note, all the hate towards the Texans stems from that technology as well.

Either way, I love both the Houston football teams. I wish we had kept the Oiler name in the very beginning like the Browns did when they sold to Baltimore. But no I would not change it now.

Winning solves everything. If the Texans ever bring home a Lombardi trophy then nothing will matter. Not the owner, not the name, not the past.

Plowman likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I'll add to your point...the explosion of salaries for all pro athletes has added to the sense of separation between fans and players.

macho GRANDE, csj and Plowman like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Meh.
    We had good times but the breakup was ugly. Now she is with someone else. I'm with someone else now. No need to keep our old wedding photos on the wall. Need to focus on making this relationship I'm currently in better.

UTweezer, msn, csj and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Oilers are dead and never coming back. Get over it. Titans own the name and history. Bud put it in his will that Houston can never have the name/color/history back. Move da fuq on......

Bud was a petty, evil man. Think Trump.

#14 Mr.Scarface, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

What about kids now that love the Texans name? You are taking away their childhood. Grow up, Stop living in the past. The Oilers Playoff failures is most remembered by most Fans.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Original Idea, I'm on board.

Actually, I'm not. The only thing I want is the history.

plutoblue11 and msn like this.
  16. Garner

Garner Member

Houston Harveys

17. airflights92

airflights92 Member

Would anyone be in favor of a uniform change?

plutoblue11 likes this.
  18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

A uniform change is welcomed, but I wouldn't want them to have any kind of "retro" Oiler look. Just something far less mediocre than what they have now.

plutoblue11 and airflights92 like this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Thinking back on Oilers history and now Texans history. I'm in my late 30s and I've never see a Houston NFL team so much as play in a conference championship game much less a Super Bowl.

Nook likes this.