1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden named 2017-18 NBA MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2018.

1. threepointshot3

According to Jenny the scrub Lin fans Harden is a scrub ?

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

That's my MVP

[​IMG]

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Touching

Rocket River

4. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

5. BigTex

BigTex Member

Only player to make the jump from 6th man to MVP.

Walton did the reverse, went from MVP to 6th man later in his career

RyanB, RocketsFan247 and Red.Glare like this.
  6. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

7. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Congrats to you Harden! Shoulda been the 3rd one to your collection.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kyrie Irving Says LeBron Was the 2017-18 MVP

Kyrie Irving says that James Harden was the “people’s MVP,” but LeBron James was the “NBA’s MVP” during the 2017-18 season.

While guesting on HOT 97 on Wednesday, Kyrie said that LeBron “checks every mark” statistically for his team.

Do you like that James Harden got the MVP?

Kyrie: “I was happy for him.”

Do you agree?

Kyrie: “I didn’t vote. I didn’t vote. I think MVP is hard to gauge nowadays because now you have the people’s MVP and the NBA’s MVP.

“I think the people’s MVP was definitely James, but the NBA MVP was definitely Bron.”

So you think LeBron should have gotten the MVP.

Kyrie: “I mean, if we’re talking strictly based off stats, he checks every mark.”

It’s him every year, though, in that regard. Does anyone do more for a team than LeBron does?

Kyrie: [Shakes head] “I don’t know. He’s incredible.”
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23925622/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics

Boston Celtics guard Kyrie Irving said he's "happy" that James Harden received the league's MVP award but believes that former teammate LeBron James deserved strong consideration for the honor, too.

"MVP, it's hard to gauge nowadays. Because now you have the people's MVP and you have, like, the NBA's MVP," Irving told radio station Hot 97 in New York on Wednesday. "I think the people's MVP was definitely James [Harden], but the NBA MVP is definitely LeBron [James]."

When asked by an interviewer if he thinks James -- and not Harden -- should've received the MVP award, Irving said: "If we're talking strictly based off stats, like he checks every mark. ... He's incredible, he's incredible."

Harden was revealed as the MVP winner on Monday after twice being the runner-up. He was the league's scoring champ this season, averaging 30.4 points while leading the Rockets to a franchise-record 65 victories.

James was denied his fifth MVP trophy despite averaging 27.5 points and career highs of 9.1 assists and 8.6 rebounds while playing in all 82 regular-season games for the first time in his career.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sorry Kyrie, both the NBA Players and Media voted Harden MVP.

Cowherd and ESPN Stats & Info voted LeBron MVP.

10. BleedsRocketRed

Crazy that this could (and should have in my opinion) been his THIRD MVP....

Glad he won it but a little bittersweet considering the season we had and how it ended.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Kyrie also thinks the world is flat so consider the source....

kubli9, topfive and bizzy045 like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Crazy that Harden winning the MVP has created an MVP crisis for the NBA.

Every talk show I've listened to has essentially said he either didn't deserve it or he deserved it only because the award is flawed and doesn't account for the most important part of the season (playoffs.) They've all been pushing their own new awards.

Where was this MVP outrage when Westbrook won it and got bounced last year?

13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I was just about to post how moronic Kyrie or out of the loop he is for saying this when in fact his brethren voted Harden the PLAYERS MVP

14. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I love arguing with people about Hardens MVP. I simply ask them what more could Harden have done? He won 65 games so I’m assuming he must win at least 72 while leading the nba in points and assists.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Fear the beard.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Legler and his partner yesterday agreed that Harden will only get this one. That basically nobody really likes Harden and they don't think he really deserves it because of the playoffs so the media will never give him another one.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've given up thinking about that craziness. I'm just looking for James to up his game even more to make the simplest of people realize how far ahead of the curve he is.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Haters should stfu. Best player on a team with most victory in the league. No amount of moving the goal post could deny him this time.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It really is amazing. And it really does show how much Harden isn't liked. Or how his efficient game isn't appreciated.

You could make this LeBron argument over the last 5 years. You could have made it against Curry and against Westbrook etc. But the media didn't.

Just too bad that for 1 season the media can't just give Harden his due throughout.

I just take solace in the fact Harden won the award, 86-15. It is his, no matter what. FU to the talking heads.

bulkatron likes this.
  20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Now that we got that out of the way (and 3 years too late), let's go get us a ring!