1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Are the Rockets shopping Eric Gordon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2018.

1. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I think the Rockets feel like they can sign someone like Tyreke Evans for the cheap and save some money on the EG contract. Also trading always Anderson is a top priority for this team I’m sure. The only way they will be able to do it though is by packaging him with someone like Clint who has great value right now. Someone like SAC can absorb that much money and give us non-guarantees and future picks in return so that we can sign players such as our own and FA’s like DJ, Reddick, and so on.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have been dropping their bench scorers for a long time.

Toney Douglas, Delfino, Covington, JT, Marcus Thornton, Michael Beasley, Lou Williams

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Ryan's contract becomes an actual trade asset as a big expiring contract next year. I think moving Gordon is more about being able to attach draft assets with a big trade exception to Cleveland (or OKC, I guess) after moving Anderson with however many picks Houston must attach to that deal.

4. BackdoorHarden

Expiring contracts are no longer assets. See Dwight Howard and many other expiring contracts.

5. basketballholic

Redick, Lou, Tyreke, Jamal, and Brandon Knight are all available....And others.

EGo deserves a starting gig to show all his tools and earn one more big deal. Wonder what a package of him and Capela could get you? Hello Knicks? Hello Charlotte? Toronto? Atlanta? (Dallas pick) Philly? (Phx pick for Ego....then sign Redick cheap....) Spurs?

Trackwell likes this.
  6. Bids9

Bids9 Member

If it improves our team? Yes. If it dosent? No

It really is that simple. If trading Gordon helps us get LeBron, Butler or some other potential 3rd star we don’t yet know about then I expect him to pull the trigger. If however we can’t feasibly get that 3rd star then he will continue to be our 3rd star-lite

JuNx and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

8. AggieRocketFan96

Good posts here on EGO. When all is said and done, I think Morey will package assets (to incl multiple future first rounders) with Ryno to bring in a 3rd star, I believe EGO and Ariza will no longer be on the team, both second rounders will be dealt, somehow DM will keep CP3, Luc and PJ, and Capela will be let go and replaced with a lower priced big man (Noel, DJ, Chandler). Nene will prob play 1 more year, ISO Joe retires.

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I think it’s likely a combo of this + some of the speculation from Clutch/Bima during podcast. Late 1st + Anderson and maybe a second might be enough to net you Bazemore or an equally serviceable player at an inflated salary. So you get out of Anderson’s contract, have an Ariza replacement, and can still get creative with a Gordon replacement. But you have to feel confident that you have the Gordon replacement lined up or else a move such as this could be disastrous.

tycoonchip likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

// Thread on shopping Gordon
    // _holic posts.
    // immediately adds Capela to trade package.

:D

D-rock, Invisible Fan, saleem and 3 others like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With Luc out or ineffective, there went a big chunk of our depth. It hurt and I can see our shooting suffering from it to a degree. We need more quality depth, not just a 3rd star. I don't know how Morey's going to pull it off.

saleem and Hakeemtheking like this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree... In morey we trust. In Tilman's wallet that is yet to be determined....

Deckard likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

additionally, playing 5 on 8 will wear you out no doubt

D-rock, jch1911, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  14. basketballholic

Smart alec. And funny.

......But you have to admit a Gordon/Capela package would represent great value.....especially if Capela had to settle for a lesser contract than this hypothetical max deal he's gonna get. :rolleyes:

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Really interested in what Capela will fetch. Mavs are locked in on Cousins. Suns just drafted a center so that report was a load of crap

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think it is a good idea, deal Gordon for a lotto pick, then deal Anderson and pick for a 2nd pick.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

yeah, just having fun. Capela clearly could be traded as an asset. Harden & CP3 are the core. After that anyone can be moved if the right package comes along.

basketballholic likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No question about it, depending on Clint's contract situation. I'm still in the "Keep Capela!" camp, but if he could be added to a Gordon/picks package, that should net a major piece(s) for the Rockets. My problem is that Capela is a major piece already, and Gordon is certainly a significant one. It's like we would be taking from one hand, just to put it in the other.

What have we gained? If LeBron ends up in Cleveland, say, and George/Leonard in LA, where does that leave us? OKC and SA are highly unlikely to want to deal with us. We are bitter rivals of them and in the same division, as well as coming ahead on a trade or two with both over the years. The SA trade I'm thinking of was decades ago, but was one of the keys to our 1st championship, and we robbed them of Scola (or they robbed themselves, to be honest). I have a hard time with the idea of Pop making a deal with Houston that Houston sees as beneficial. The Thunder? The guy we managed to acquire from OKC is this season's MVP and multiple times an All Star. Are they really going to risk Morey again?

So where does that leave us in getting a 3rd star? Butler? Do the Puppies even want to deal Butler, and to us? We're in such a tough division. I'm getting a feeling that Morey will pull a surprise or two out of his hat. We might end up with a deal or deals that none of us saw coming. It's Daryl's modus operandi, after all.

D-rock likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even if that's so, this year he'd cost Tilman tons of money. I don't see him deciding to spend all that money so that he has a potential trade asset a year from now.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Gordon is a very useful player and a good fit-- he can play against the only opponent that matters, the Golden State Warriors. Now, is he irreplaceable with whatever the Rocket can offer in free agency? No completely but unless the team has actual intel that someone is for sure willing to sign for what they can offer (and they might at this point, given how the CP trade went down), I wouldn't bet on one happening.

D-rock likes this.