1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amick] LeBron James' free agency: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul or Paul George could sway decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It’s only natural to wonder if James might partner with his best friend and fellow free agent in Paul, and we’ve been wondering for six months or so if that might be the case. But while the Rockets appear resigned to the fact that James won’t be coming their way, they also remain fully confident that Paul is going nowhere.

When Paul pushed his way from the Clippers to the Rockets via trade last June, there was a mutual understanding about how his next contract would look. It remains to be seen if it comes in the form of a five-year, $205 million max deal – one that would have him making a whopping $46.7 million in the final year of the deal while nearing the age of 38 – but there remains a strong sense within Rockets circles that he’s staying put.

As for the recent report from Fox Sports’ Chris Broussard that there are rising tensions between the two sides because Paul wants the full max and isn’t sure if he’ll get it, two people with knowledge of the situation refuted the idea there is any friction between the sides. The people spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

If it’s any indication, Paul is part of the Rockets contingent expected to be on hand for the TNT awards in Los Angeles on Monday to help his co-star, James Harden, celebrate the MVP award that is widely expected to be coming his way. What’s more, Paul recently bought a new house in the Houston area. As for the prospect of James joining him, it’s looking highly unlikely.

#1 Deuce, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    gatsby, bilaal14, BigMaloe and 8 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's what I like to hear.

Not what I like to hear.

gatsby, BigMaloe, BigggReddd and 5 others like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chris Paul is staying
    Kawhi is staying for now (or at the least not going to the Lakers)
    Paul George could stay (" Conversely, there’s pessimism in James’ camp that George would leave Oklahoma City.")
    Rockets & Sixers long shots at best
    Lakers greatest threat to Cleveland
    Return to Cleveland?

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

There's no option outside of Houston that gives LeBron a chance at beating the Warriors or Celtics. PG was abysmal against Utah and got outplayed by Jingles. If he wants to join forces with him and the two diss track kids over CP3 and Harden then let him wither away the remainder of his career out there. Houston will still surpass LA every year James is a Laker anyway.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We all knew the CP3 friction story was bs. Lebron coming here the chances has always been low but there is a chance that it can happen. Things are where we expected them to be... Lebron to Hou would have to be a surprise if it happens it won't be something that we see coming.

Fullcourt, napalm06 and amaru like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I love how the Spurs are giving the Lakers a big FU on Kawhi. I hate the Spurs. But good for them.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is just incredibly false...PG had 1 bad game, but other than that he was very good in that series and certainly much better than Ingles...

Why not? likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well, if he won't come to Houston we just have to pray he stays in Cle. Even if LBJ went to the Lakers without George (which would be really risky on his end) there would still be the threat for Leonard to join him through trade at the deadline, and a team with LBJ and Leonard would be deadly.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I feel like Spurs would end up trading him to the Clippers if it came down to the bitter end

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

Manos, dreamshakin, BigMaloe and 7 others like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Philly making that deal with the Suns to get that 2021 Heat unprotected 1st round pick (1 and done could be over at this time) could be key for the 76ers as a trade chip for Kawhi.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

@justtxyank @J Sizzle What gymnastics & hoops do we go through to dismiss this report (like with Haynes, Windhorst, Kawakami, Ridenour)? ;)

"Amick is just guessing."
    "LerBon leaked to Amick to force Cleveland to participate in a opt-in & trade"

BigMaloe, J Sizzle, SC1211 and 9 others like this.
  13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Honestly I hope Kawhi reconciles with the Spurs cause if he gets traded to the Celtics or the Sixers they are gonna be trouble to deal with.

RyanB likes this.
  15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Good news on CP3 front. Would like to start hearing more info about his recruitment of Lebron now that we’re a week out from opt in day. Is Lebron gonna be at this TNT awards show? If so, sounds like time to make the pitch with both CP3 and Harden there

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nope.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if after all the hoopla, Lebron/CP3/Kawhi stay put. I *am* surprised by the overwhelming sense that PG stays, though. That's quite the shift.

18. mockster

mockster Member

Keep cp3, trade Anderson, gordon, picks, assets and our main asset money considerations for jimmy butler. Then sign tyreke Evans to replace gordon among some other free agents abd call it day

19. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

If I’m Lebron, I either request HOU trade OR take a 1+1 deal with Cleveland and see how things shake out. Kawhi a FA in 1 year, see where PG13 goes, what happens w Houston + cap, see if Cavs more competitive. The landscape I think becomes clearer (albeit I don’t know if Houston’s cap at that point allows for any type of deal, but Ryno or whoever we trade him for would be an expiring and more enticing in any type of a swap).

Going to LA for 2018 is punting on a season for him - Boston will be favorite in east but w/ upgrades they’ll be easier to topple than GS + HOU.

20. HTM

HTM Member

I hope Lebron gets his butt kicked in the playoffs every year from now on if he decides not to force his way here.

He is the only one who can save the NBA from the Warriors and he is gonna decide to play in CLE or LA and be a doormate instead?