1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Full Daryl Morey Interview after the 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"we had him [melton] rated as one of the top guys in the draft"

...said by 30 GM's about their draft choices last nite :D

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That LeBron question felt way out of place, especially after Dave's specific questions about the draft.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Clutch with the question (an insistent follow-up no less, like a Pro!) that delivered the best scoop/news of the interview!!

Man, Morey looked exhausted.. Here he is 30 minutes after the interview,

[​IMG]

Still with phone

#5 heypartner, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Daryl, you unbutton to sit and button to stand, you know the drill.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Summary:

We got 3 D League players. 2 way deals. I was bored, so Tilman let me borrow some Landry’s money to buy a player that resembles Odell Beckham.

tinman and heypartner like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Haymitch, at this time all I can tell you is that I will shift my focus to the World Cup.

(hint hint I'd talk about LeBron all day long if I had any info about him)

(also I think that guy works for the Lakers and was trying to get D Morey on record for tampering.)

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That doesn't make the statement untrue.

Each of the 30 teams has a different internal draft board. Once you get past the top 10-15 players, those draft boards will vary greatly. I can certainly see Melton being a top 20-25 player on the Rockets' own board. Edwards may have been a late first or early second rounder on their board.

Yes, it is a nice sound-byte to spew to the media. But it could also be the truth.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad we beefed up or Summer League Squad!

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

see i'd consider "one of the top guys in the draft" to mean something a lot closer to 'top 10' than 'top 25', basically 'top ~15%' vs 'top ~40%'

i guess the lawyer in you leaves it more open to interpretation with a more generous allowance for stretching of particulars

while the speculator in me attempts to instead compress said particulars into something more easily denominated :D

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Haha! Too many fancy words for me!

I think Morey's other statement -- about how, if Melton had played last season for USC, he would have been a top-20 pick -- should color his "one of the top guys" statement. He clearly was not inferring that Melton was a top-10 guy. Just someone much higher on their draft board than 46.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i wonder what the big deal, where the picks were inconsequential, would have been or who which player was involved?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

of course morey (and all other GMs) always put on the satisfied feeling fortunate face immediately folllowing the draft. so it is hard to truly parse out truth and reality here. personally, if melton had in fact played out his sophomore year on the same trajectory as his first year, and if we somehow owned the #20 pick in this draft -- i doubt morey selects melton ;)