1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: The Rockets and the 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

good listen. More useful draft info than I expected, considering we only have a 46th pick.

thought I'd copy this note by @ch44 here, too, posted last night in the NBA Draft forum

DonKnock, Vivi, pippendagimp and 5 others like this.
  3. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

You guys are like PB and J!!! And I’m always hungry for Rox info!!

Clutch and saleem like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Listening to this pod right now. Great stuff.

100% agree the Hawks look like a team that could be rebuilding for a while ala 76ers. They could be really unpredictable.
    100% agree with your takes on Bazemore & Shumpert vis-a-vis Anderson as last resort type things.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Would be great to see the Rockets buying picks. I'd like to see them "restock the crops" with some young players "under cost controlled contracts" considering the team will be in the LT. Need youth and cheap assets.

Vivi and baller4life315 like this.
  6. heypartner

@Clutch @BimaThug

At 15-18min mark, you discuss gauging using picks to move salaries (relevant to Ryan). You mentioned news of Faried (rumor shot down) and Parsons, as helping assess current market to move salary.

Had you guys done this podcast today, you probably mention the Howard/Mozgov trade instead wrt gauging Anderson. What would you have said instead today, if you could have discussed that? I know the move is for Luxury Tax reasons (on CHO side), and Nets to acquire an expiring for capspace...(every trade has main reasons)...but question, in light of your discussion of Faried/Parsons

Question: Can you speak to how packaging two 2nds with that bad Mozgov contract (with 2yrs remaining) might help Morey assess market value wrt the cost of moving Ryan?​

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

It has to give Rockets hope that Ryan Anderson's contract can be moved. I guess Friday we will have a better idea of where we are at. We need them dominoes to fall!

8. heypartner

Yeah, since Dwight's Bird Rights have to be renounced in the summer for BKN to realize his capspace, the way I value the trade is:

Mozgov + Two 2nd Rounders to gain back an expiring for $17m in future capspace (2019)​

Since we need to flip Ryan for less salary *now*, the cost goes up. Does it go up from two 2nd rounder to two first rounders, or maybe just a 1st + 2nd???? That's the question I'd ask BimaThug and Clutch.

Note: We don't need to clear Ryno's entire $20m, assuming we can move EGo too (to match Lebron), but something in the $10m to $Mozgov in salary needs to be purged to match Lebron (depending upon attachment of other salaries to the deal).​

#8 heypartner, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    BigMaloe and Rockets FTW like this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great pod, appreciate it.

Clutch and saleem like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

D.Rose or Jameer and Gerald Green with a bit of luck using the MLE. Luc for 2.8-2.9 M. His value has sadly gone down with his shoulder injury.
    Take a chance with Billy Preston with the 46th pick.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question, heyp. I'm sure @BimaThug has more interesting things to say on it than I do.

My thoughts were that indeed it shows money beyond 2019 can be moved (something I had/have a lot of doubts about), but I'm not sure it was a good template for Anderson or a good gauge of market value. Charlotte needed to save a few bucks this year specifically. I am frankly surprised they took on Mozgov for 2019-20 for so little, though. That's just two second rounders. I think Brooklyn did extremely well in this deal. That does give me some hope... but the Rockets need to shed salary this season.

(Some of this may have had to do with needing to unload Howard as well as a few reports suggested his teammates were tired of him)

Overall, I think Bima's feeling that the Rockets may trade out of this draft to have a future second-round pick they can move in trades makes a lot of sense. They need all the chips they can get and with the draft coming before player movement, you might see them flip this for a 2019 or 2020 pick.

BigMaloe, Vivi, dogoflust and 3 others like this.
  12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Like @Clutch said, I think the Rockets' need to lower their team salary makes this sort of trade less likely than for a team like Brooklyn (looking to clear cap room in 2019). We'll see. The "market" can wildly fluctuate from transaction to transaction.

BigMaloe, dogoflust and heypartner like this.
  13. heypartner

Thx for chiming in. Just thought the timing of the trade with your podcast comments might have led to a different conversation between you two wrt the Faried/Parsons segment

I guess you're saying the Mozgov trade still isn't similar enough. I just thought maybe CHO's need to lower salary b4 July 1st had similarities, plus Mozgov's 2yr being similar to Ryan.

#13 heypartner, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  14. Red Nation RGV

What do you all think of Justin Jackson out of Maryland? I would like to see us take him if available when we pick. Seems legit and NBA body type with ability to shoot

(edit: listening to podcast as I typed so not sure if he's mentioned)

jch1911 likes this.
  15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Dwight-Mozgov trade will not actually be consummated until after July 1, so it wasn't an issue of either team having to do anything before July 1 (other than to get some clarity on their respective positions in advance of the draft, perhaps).

BigMaloe, Vivi, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like him. But how good is he now, after getting injured?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent podcast, guys. I'm awash with information! What a convoluted summer. One thing we can all count on is that Morey does something that will surprise all of us. CP3 was a shocker last year. Sure, it was discussed (and dismissed as a serious possibility by many in the media, not to mention those who said it would never work), but Morey actually pulled it off, and it worked beautifully. Getting Mbah a Moute for the minimum blindsided me. I didn't expect that at all (and enjoyed your discussion about him). What Daryl manages to do is often so amazing that it's easy to think the fellow can do almost anything. He just might be facing the biggest challenge yet - getting LeBron James. I'm still not sure if he can pull it off, but I wouldn't bet against him.

The irony is that we don't seem to need a lot to beat Oakland. The guys we've got, less Anderson, if possible, and the team being healthy during the season, and especially through the playoffs. That's it. I thought all year that it would come down to luck with the "i" word, and luck, aside from Luc, largely stayed with us until 22 seconds were left in game 5, putting aside the refs the league saddled us with. Yet here we are, seriously talking about major changes to the team. What a trip.

Clutch likes this.
  18. Red Nation RGV

Here's his pro-day workout vid:

The kid has the upside of replacing Ariza eventually and in college he could shoot the 3 ball, has 7'-3" wingspan and would definitely fit our switch defense and add youth. I hope we can get this guy, his health from what I've been able to read is much better now.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yikes, this is an overall decent track record, but still shocking:

I give these deals the following grades:
    2013: F
    2015: D
    2016: C (F in retrospect)
    2017: B-
    2018: A+

At least.... we're trending in the right direction?

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

What about Capela in 2014?

Edit nevermind you were talking about trades. Man I was so pumped when we traded for Twill

napalm06 likes this.