1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Cruz Makes His Move, Watch Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Pregnant women probably cost a leg to cover. I would exclude them. One small example. That's the problem with that being the default position.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Cruz came off really well. Sanders couldn't answer the woman's problem with expanding her business due to her thin margin profit and having to pay for insurance for all her employees.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought both senators had their moments, but also retreated to some of their own individual worst traits. Sanders was dismissive of the woman who owns a few Fantastic Sam's locations and can't afford to provide health insurance to her employees. Cruz dodged questions from the Texas woman who had to move to Maryland to get Medicaid for her MS and was overly lawyerly at times.

I don't understand the criticism that somehow Bernie was out there to wholly defend Obamacare. He said often throughout the evening that it needs fixes. Bernie was arguing that Obamacare needs to be tweaked, and not repealed, while also advocating for what he's talked about all along: single-payer. He makes no bones about what he wishes for the US healthcare system and treats Obamacare as what it was originally intended to be when it was devised by the Heritage Foundation: a compromise between the unsustainable old model and single-payer.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Sanders called out Cruz on his "access" argument. Cruz and the Republicans have no intention of replacing, repairing, or improving Obamacare.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Were I an insurance company, I certainly wouldn't write a policy for a woman that was currently pregnant at the same rate as any other person. I also would not charge the same amount for men and women, knowing as I do that it costs more to cover women. Someone born with fetal alcohol syndrome is going to be much more costly to cover for an insurer than someone without, so premiums for such a person should be higher. Same for every other pre-existing condition. Actuarial analysis should also be used to determine premium prices. What you are considering a bug, I would call a feature.

#2405 StupidMoniker, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Headshot

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Is Cruz lying about estate taxes, or simply uninformed? Or both? Funny how the GOP focus on so-called death tax... as always, simply an effort to benefit the very wealthy.

'The super rich don’t pay estate tax,' Ted Cruz says. IRS says otherwise
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/13/the...te-tax-cruz-says-irs-data-says-otherwise.html

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Ted is just lying.

His followers are mainly just uninformed.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ted Cruz said to Bernie that he never called social security a ponzi scheme.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a reason why Trump called him "Llyin' Ted"

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

I thought both did well both could have had more facts about the main issues but they did good.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, I think the Tax Policy Center is playing a trick here by pivoting the perspective from the individuals who pay to the agency that collects. A 0.1% who dodges 90% of the intended effect of the estate tax could still pay a very large dollar amount but it'll be a negligible impact to his estate. Meanwhile a cotton farmer paying the full freight of his death might lose a substantial piece of his legacy but have a negligible impact on the IRS coffers. That is how much more rich the 0.1% and the 1% are compared to the West Texas cotton farmer.

Also, $5m for an asset-heavy business like a farm is not a big business. This random web article tried to estimate how much capital it would take to start a family farm from scratch, and came up with about $5 million. http://www.agriculture.com/farm-man...ning/how-much-does-it-take-to-become-a-farmer

Now, I don't know if Cruz is right or not. I would think a cotton farmer could choose a corporate structure that would insulate his family from some taxes. And, I have no idea how effectively Soros can actually dodge the tax. In any case, the answer could be to tighten the rules so that Soros can't dodge it and the cotton farmer can, instead of just killing it altogether. It's just I think the counter-logic is pretty specious here.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

If you like Sweden or Denmark then move there, I like to keep my earned money instead of giving it to the government to waste it.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why go to Sweden, when I can stay here and expropriate your hard-earned money? :p

16. Indaface

Indaface Member

I rarely come in this part of the board anymore but I do want to say I absolutely love this thread title. Always gives me a smile.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nook likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

Nook and NewRoxFan like this.
  20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member