1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Scotto "Grizzlies may be using the 4th pick to get rid of Parsons"...can/should we explore this?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Vivi, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Grizzlies may be using their No. 4 choice as a way to get rid of Chandler Parsons‘ huge contract, according to Michael Scotto of The Athletic. Memphis is reportedly calling around the league to see what kind of deal it can get in return for Parsons and the pick.

Parsons has missed 94 games because of injuries since signing a four-year, $94MM contract with the Grizzlies in 2016. He still has two seasons and $49.2MM left on that deal, making it extremely hard to move. With Mike Conley and Marc Gasol also holding sizable contracts, Memphis is already over the projected cap for next season and has little flexibility as it tries to improve on a 22-60 record.

Parsons, 29, appeared in just 36 games last season, averaging 7.9 points in about 19 minutes per night.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/scottos-latest-parsons-hawks-t-young-nets.html

I thought this was interesting and wanted to have your opinions.

I think Memphis is looking to dump Parsons while getting back a solid player, and no, unfortunately i don't see them having interest in Ryan Anderson :D:( but what about Gordon? Pretty sure that's exactly the perfect player they're looking for, top 7/8 SG (which is one of the two spots where they have a big hole) with a good contract for two years, can score, shoot and play defense.

Now, i'm not even sure it would be possible to make it work in terms of salary between Houston and Memphis but, assuming it would be possible, or maybe in 3 way deal like this:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycd9agvo

- add some sweeteners to Atlanta from us for swapping Anderson and Bazemore, maybe it wouldn't even take a future 1st rounder but just 2nd rounders and/or rights of some young players like Hartenstein, cash considerations...

- add the 4th pick for us

In the end it would basically be:

Atlanta gets: Anderson and 2nd rounders/young players, cash

Memphis gets: Gordon

Houston gets: 4th pick, Bazemore and Parsons

We would basically swap Anderson contract with Parsons contract (which is worse) and Gordon with the 4th pick and Bazemore

...would you guys give up Gordon for the 4th pick and Parsons contract (or Gordon, Anderson and few assets for the 4th pick and Bazemore in a 3 way deal)? Are there players who will be available at the 4th pick that could give us some good production early with the potential to turn into a great player (and so let us gain a good asset for a potential trade)?

Personally i don't really follow college basketball so i don't really know how good the players available at the draft are and if there's someone who might be worth it...i have to say i would hate to trade Eric, but yeah, was just wondering about this in a scenario where we won't get Lebron or George etc...would this be some sort of bad/panic move?

2. jsingles

jsingles Member

By explore this, do you mean explore laughing at the Grizzlies and Parsons? Because if so, yes, we should explore it.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For the Rockets? Hell no.

For a team like the Sixers? It'd be interesting.

Sixers can package Covington, Fultz, and the 10th pick for Parsons and the 4th pick to select either Doncic or Porter Jr.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Would Memphis have interest in this kind of package though? Not sure what they would do with the 10th pick and Fultz since Conley is still there for 3 years and likely can't be moved. And what about Covington, is he worth 12M for the next four years? I mean, they have Gasol and Conley, i think they're still good players, but they're not enough to compete in the West...they need at least another scorer, someone ready to compete, Covington might be good in their sistem, but he's role player. They might look to package Fultz and the 10th pick for a player i guess...

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Oh i'm just throwing it out there lol. A team has to have enough cap space to absorb Parsons and not let that cancer impact the team and the first contending teaming I thought of was Philly,.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, cause i don't think they will trade the 4th pick just to dump Parsons, just like we won't trade future 1st rounder just to dump Anderson...they might want to back a player too, and this is where i can see them having a problem, not sure which tanking team has a player worth the 4th pick...Atlanta has nothing that good, Orlando...maybe Gordon? But they have Green which seems ok for them, Brooklyn i don't know, Jefferson? I like him but not sure he's worth the 4th pick...Chicago might trade Portis but with Green already on the roster...i'm just not sure tanking teams have a player for Memphis here.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

#12, #13 and Tobias Harris for #4 and Chandler Parsons

Who says no?

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yes give them, Ryno.

:D

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's actually a good idea. I forgot the Clippers should be very willing to tank at this point.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Lulz. this is hilarious. Like nick Canon hilarious.

CrushCity and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

upload_2018-6-14_16-27-37.png

Works here straight up... but it won't make much sense on their end.

Exiled likes this.
  12. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

If the core of your deal is Gordon and Anderson for parsons and the number four, then Memphis needs to send about 3.5 million more in salary our way based on the trade machine. If you Assume they are trying to get better now and that Conley and Gasol are the core of their existing team, you could make the case that they might see value in both Anderson and Gordon. Maybe, if Parsons is truly a big negative value to them, that deal might be worth it. Probably not.

Key there is you are flipping number four and Parsons plus some more for LeBron. Is the number four that attractive to Cleveland for them to take Parsons?

13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Lol Parsons contract is arguably worse than Ryno's

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Or ours haha.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

If Lebron bolts and after getting Parsons they can still somehow avoid the luxury definitely, the Cavs are up to a full rebuild in that scenario, having a dead weight like Parsons for two years is definitely worth the 4th pick.

16. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

damn ryan's PER is even lower than chandler's.

17. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

I say no

18. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Wtf did I just read..

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Woof. That's a brutal trade for Philly. They already traded Sacramento's 2019 pick to move up two spots to draft Fultz. If they package Fultz with Covington just to move up six spots in this years draft and take on Parsons' contract the fans would be in full revolt.

20. ak99999

ak99999 Member

So $49 million for the 4th pick? Too much!

macho GRANDE likes this.