1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. raining threes

Nor should you with what they've done this offseason.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A miracle wasn't possible this off-season, which is why it's good that they didn't waste cap space on mediocre to poor players demanding massive paydays.

3. raining threes

You mean existing cap space on a multi year starting SB champion LT?

Who needs that guy when you can save cap space.

Are the NFL/Texans trying to win games on the field or is winning the cap space game the new goal. After seeing this offseason I think we know the answer.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that the Patriots once upon a time won championships doesn't mean that one individual on that team is amazing. Solder was by all accounts a mediocre tackle....he just happened to be the best of a really awful FA class and that's why he got laughably overpaid.

Teams are looking to win for the long run and you can't do that if you put yourself in cap hell paying top dollar for mediocre at best players.

red5rocket likes this.
  5. raining threes

The fallacy to your argument is they would be in cap hell.

Dont sign Kalemete or cut Jackson, whatever it takes so that Watson has a better chance of staying healthy. BTW, Mediocre is a term you use. PFF doesn't always get it right. Mediocre guys dont get paid like Solder did. If what you say is true the Texans should've backed up the brinks truck for DB. (I was against doing that.)

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So don't sign one of the top pass blockers to sign a mediocre tackle that honestly shouldn't be a starting left tackle.....don't you see the problem with that?

As to Duane Brown, it's not the Texans' fault that he's a douchebag. It would have been nice if he was a professional, but unfortunately that's not the case so I'm honestly glad he's gone. Duane Brown is for sure on the downside of his career, but there's no team in the NFL that would pick Solder over him when it comes to on field production.

You are very much being swayed by an offseason where Solder was the "big fish" in the mud puddle that was the OT FA class.

houstonstime likes this.
  7. raining threes

He was the starting LT on SB winner. Certainly not the shouldn't be a starting LT theme.

Kelemete was a backup for a reason. I find it laughable you discount a multiple SB starting LT's contributions but try to build up a backup OT's contributions.

Can you say HOMER?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So....was Aaron Rodgers a backup for a reason too? Was Bouye a backup for a reason?

9. raining threes

LOL

Backing up a HOF'er = what the Texans have done on their OL this offseason. Homer

These examples are outliers.

I can see I'm beating my head against a wall.

I probably will be doing the same during the season for different reasons.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Shark44 likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was explaining to you how the fact that someone was once a backup doesn't mean that they can't play. When you pick up a backup that was very good in pass blocking to replace some of the worst pass blockers in the NFL, you've made an upgrade. I would have thought that would be obvious. Talking about them as "just backups" is very similar to those who called JJ Watt a "pizza boy" when he was drafted.

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

First 2nd round or higher QB not to play a single game his first two seasons since Jim Kelly...of course, Kelly was lighting up the USFL.

Shark44 likes this.
  13. raining threes

They may be upgrades but probably not starting caliber OL or for that matter above avg OL.

There's a reason they were backups. They weren't as good as the starters on their teams.

I want a team with OL starters that are as good as the Chiefs/Saints starters. Norwell or Solder would've been a good start. If Kalemete was so good for instance, why did the Saints sign Warford in FA and draft Ramczyk? There's a very reasonable explanation.

#2993 raining threes, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....and you base this on what?

15. raining threes

Because teams drafted/FA starters with Kalemete on the roster.

If he was that good a journeyman (Warford) and for that matter a 1st rd pick coming off of back surgery (Ramczyck) shouldn't have been able to win a starting job over Kalemete.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you admit that it's not really based on anything but your pessimism?

houstonstime likes this.
  17. raining threes

The fact he couldn't beat out a journeyman OL doesn't bother you?

Homer?

I can see I'm wasting my time.

Time to go to dinner.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it doesn't bother me because you could have said the same about Bouye when the Jags picked him up. It's pretty clear you know nothing about the guy, you just assume he can't be any good because he was a backup.

19. raining threes

Wrong, went to Washington as an OT drafted by New Orleans as a OG. Decent pass blocker, a 0 in the run game.

Comparing Bouye, LOL different positions.

Dude isn't terrible, better than XSF, but the Texans always seem to settle instead of doing what it takes to get really better. Like the Jags have under Coughlin.

Tell me why you're so high on these guys, other than the Texans signed them.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem here is that you aren't grasping the concept....but that's okay, us arguing about it more isn't going to be productive. Just wait and see.

raining threes likes this.