1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

best razor to shave head?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DOYG86, Jun 13, 2018.

1. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Looking for as few nicks as possible. I've been using the gillette flex head ones, but wanted something more efficient and that fit the contours of my head :eek:.

Electric or regular.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Safety razor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...fety+razor&dpPl=1&dpID=41P8zSWlD2L&ref=plSrch

Astra blades: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...fety+razor&dpPl=1&dpID=41RESF5J8LL&ref=plSrch

This way you get a new blade every use... Super close shave too. If you're new to shaving head... Then probably a headblade (car looking thing)

I just prefer the safety razor cheap and awesome shave.

I'm now actually just getting mine lasered off... Highly recommended if you're going bald and not getting hair plugs, or willing to take hormones.

And don't be afraid of the safety one, just get a good slick shaving cream.

3. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

I might want to laser mine off at some point too. I've been going bald for a while. I've been shaving my head for about 2 years now, but it's just a pain in the ass lol.

How much is lasering a head? :)

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It's like ~$70-80 a session and can take roughly 6-8 sessions, and each session is spaced out between 4-7 weeks. I'm only on 4th session, and it's already sped up the shaving process tremendously, and also can now go days without shaving (almost a week) compared to nearly doing it daily.

My end goal is to basically not have to shave my head, haha

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Exiled, Rashmon and macho GRANDE like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Has anyone Nair'ed their head?

Is that a thing people do?

#6 Invisible Fan, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Exiled, No Worries and Killatron 2000 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Like the blade suggestion... but what about this DE safety razor? New they are very expensive, but you should be able to get one used for about $100. Lifetime razor, precise build quality, great balance and very mild to avoid nicks. I have one (bought used) and its a great razor.

If you want to spend less... a Razorock Mamba: https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-mamba-de-safety-razor . Also stainless steel so its a lifetime razor.

And if you want to spend even less... an Edwin Jagger: . Not stainless steel, but a bit nicer than the Merkur.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

2 bucks PER shave? that seems excessive....

9. NewRoxFan

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

11. NewRoxFan

Yup... for $2/blade you'd be looking at Feather blades....

12. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

thanks for all the replies so far :)

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

dude you bought a used razor? wtf gross

Gillette Silver Blues way over those. Made in my favorite country, and are extremely smooth.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

I have purchased a number of used vintage razors, including two Gillette New Long Combs, a Gillette Fatboy, a Gillette Slim, a Gillette TV Special, A Gillette British Rocket HD, and a few Gillette Techs. Plus a few Gem single edge razors. These razors ranged in build dates from the 1910's to the late 1950's. Unless you have a time machine the odds of not buying any of these used is pretty slim (I reckon there are a few new old stock hidden away).

I have also purchased a number of contemporary razors in in a including Weber stainless steel razor with Bulldog handle, a Standard AL razor, and a customized Mergress adjustable.

If you boil, then clean in Barbasol they are more sterile and safer than most anything else I suspect you stick on or in your body.

Silver Blues are pretty good blades too but a little more expensive and a bit harder to find. Another Russian blade I like is the Voshkod teflon coated blades. Personna Meds and Personna Reds as well. But for sharpness the Feathers are the best (I only use them in the Feather razor otherwise I worry about slicing myself up), the Astras are consistently good and the Rapiras are the best mix of sharpness and comfort.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]
    good luck

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry I linked the wrong one .. Should have been like 100 for $10, hahah if I bought the box that was 2 bucks a shave.... That'd be awful.. Like no purpose going to safety razor :) great catch regardless!

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, I'll try these. Thanks for the heads up, and on the Astras . . Meant to link the 100 count for $10, hahah

20. NewRoxFan

CCity Zero likes this.