1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

JJ Redick as Gordon replacement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jakedasnake, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

This guy brainfarts in critical moments of the game. No.

AnHero likes this.
  2. aroundtheblock2

But not a great defender. I'll take a decent shooter with good defense over a good shooter with bad defense.

3. CACH12

CACH12 Member

Watch game 6 and 7. If we had any "chance" o fwinning was thanks to EG steping up in those games in that 2nd "pg" role. He was beating a lot of matchups off thw dribble

AnHero likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

umm game 6 and game 7 actually disapproves his ball handling ability bc GS absolutely exploited it. They pressured him and it was just horrible from there. He should never be put in a pg role. but obviously hou was forced to with the cp3 injury

Did you not notice the absolutely ****-show that happened when they tried to sit harden down and have EG as a ball handler. hes not that type of player. hes a scorer, not someone you give the ball to for him to dribble around with. he fumbles the ball constantly. ball handling is far from a strength of is and is actually a weakness

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Dash

Dash Member

Avery bradley is much cheaper option and better fit

glimmertwins and hakeem94 like this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't think you get Reddick unless LeBron comes here. He would be taking a healthy discount at the taxpayer MLE, so he would want a championship to be as sure a thing as possible. That said, the possibilities with that kind of roster are insane:

CP3
    Harden / Reddick
    Ariza / Moute
    Lebron / Tucker
    Capela / Wright

Deuce, whiskeyred and Vivi like this.
  7. CACH12

CACH12 Member

Thats why at the end of my comment says that if we got lbj or pg13 then the ball handling aint needed cause we would have more than enough

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Not only the defensive drop off from Gordon to Redick— you also lose a lot of driving, creating and finishing ability. Redicks upgrade over Gordon would probably be more consistent shooting.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

jj's not bad but eg is rare and we need him mre. he can make his own shot, stay healthy, and on a bargain contract.

he's in that rare tweener spot where he can make his own shot but isnt an all star, and he shows up for the playoffs.

if we dont get a 3rd star he has to stay, esp wwith ryan coming off an injury year

10. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I’d like to get reddick even if we keep Gordon.

We need an off ball, running through screens element on this team.

Keep the defense on its toes

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

I really don't want to lose Gordan. I think the Rockets are largely going to stand pat. There will only be minor adjustments, no big splashes.

12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Redick is horrific and got completely exposed by the Celtics wings. A huge reason they lost is because of this.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. cebu

cebu Member

NOT good enough.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Stop. Please.

15. dianelo

dianelo Member

Does Reddick play defense at all? He got burnt by Jalen Brown and Tatum in Sixers Celtics series.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Agree on all accounts that EG is an underrated versatile defender and the key to this team is being able to hit shots while still maintaining above average defenders on the court. I like Reddick on this team but he can only match EG's shooting - not his defense or getting to the paint so he woul d be a downgrade which maybe isn't terrible if you lose EG to get LBJ or PG13.

As for the common refrain of why would he take less than 20 mil - I'll add that his family now lives in Austin and there was talk of him heading to the Texas teams before he signed with the Sixers. I seem to recall from a podcast interview he was specifically looking for one last payday back then but was also looking to stick close to family. So would he turn down more valuable offers from other teams? Not sure but there is likely still some desire for him to stick closer to home and at very least a realization that he is entering the late stages of his career where he doesn't make as much.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Stick to the original plan: target him even if we keep EG.

There’s room for both, especially if he’s willing to sign for what we’re in position to offer. That’s my take on Tyreke also. Adding one of those two would be huge.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think if Lebron came here. You would have a set up between Harden and him that you had with Harden and Paul this last season. One of them would always be on the court.

Lebron being a year older would still be able to drive to the basket just as often because his new team would be absolutely stacked. The same with Harden to an extent.

With that being the case in my opinion Redick would be very valuable with his 3pt shooting.

Thinking of a lineup with Redick Harden Paul Lebron and Tucker or Capela sounds like something I want to see play against the Warriors lineup with their 4 allstars and Iguodala. Just out of sheer curiosity, separate from being a fan of the Rockets.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Helluva contract last time, he has to cut a lot.

20. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

redick would be a pretty good option off the bench, but if morey can get avery bradley somehow, i think i'd take bradley over redick.