1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Windhorst: Wasting money if you bet on Lebron to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 12, 2018.

1. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

How useless is Demarre compared to Ryan?

2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

this guy is chock full of farts

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm not so sure that matters when we're just talking undesirable assets getting moved to a bad, rebuilding team. 30 mil vs 40 mil is more important to look at than player quality IMO

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like Windhorst, I think he is smart, has good contacts within the league, and provides generally good info.

He also reports based on educated guesses and isn't a hot takes kind of guy, which I like.

5. aroundtheblock2

He also loves to appease LeBron with his reports and this may be a "pro-LeBron" report based on misdirection.

DonKnock, Hakeemtheking and RudyTBag like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't really read his reports, but I do listen to him on podcasts quite frequently, and I have found no such appeasement there.

For example in his post game 4 podcast at Oracle, he brought up the whiteboard Lebron smashed and suggested the Warriors should collect it and make a wing in their arena for the board next to the garbage can that Dirk threw back when his Mavs were upset by the Warriors in the first round. That is kind of taking a shot at him, in my opinion.

7. aroundtheblock2

Is it though? Doesn't sound like it to me.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Demarre is actually an nba player so he’s substantially better

9. amaru

amaru Member

We didn’t want to be right about Anderson’s contract :(

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Carroll isn't the same player he used to be and aside from injury the advanced stats show Ryno to be as good or better than Carroll last year.

Ryno had a brutal stretch last year after a good start that had everyone going crazy about his connection with CP3. After the brutal stretch he came back and was getting back on track as the backup 5. Then he got hurt and was never given a real shot again. If he made $5 million he'd be an asset and people here wouldn't have a problem with him.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd take Carroll and his contract over Anderson in a heart beat. 6M less per year for a 3/4 who's not a liability would be easier to move and also to digest. Just like i would've take (and i still would) Bazemore and his contract over Anderson.

amaru likes this.
  12. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

ok. I'm ready for an update. Chop! Chop!

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Believe it or not, Ryan Anderson was not completely useless. He was only useless against Golden State because he really sticks out like a sore thumb in the switch everything philosophy. He would have played against anyone else but you also had MDA scared to use him since he sorta lost his shot in coming back from injury.

justtxyank likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He accepted @The Cat 's hedge that if it's not today it will be soon.

Deuce, whiskeyred, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

Of course....but Anderson make 4x that amount. Give me Carroll.

16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Demarre had a really good year. He is a really good 3 and D in a fast paced system.. id say he is ariza quality but with a slightly more sizeable contract annually. He had a really good bounce back year with the scheme change in brooklyn.

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm speaking about perceived value at the time of the Brooklyn deal. I don't Think Caroll's skillset factored very heavily in Brooklyn's mindset. The fact is, it was a salary dump. They accepted a 1st and 2nd round pick to take on a bad contract. Anderson's contract is bigger, so it'd likely take more than that, but I doubt the difference in skill has much to do with that. They certainly didn't care if Mosgov could contribute or not when they received him with the D Russell sweetener.

18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

If you are a team like Brooklyn, Sacramento, etc. you 100% know you are not winning and are planning around that. You have a lot of empty space and every player is a bad contract because you don't want them. You may have one good one but it will take years to build. The only thing you can do is build assets and hope at some point the sun shines on you. Look no further at what happens to teams that don't protect their draft assets, then look at Hinkie's Sixers and Celtics. When you are this bad at managing a franchise and drafting you need as many chances as you can get. The ability to package picks to trade up is valuable as well as should things break for you. That nickel and diming helped lead us to the Harden trade. The 40-50M in extra cap space you cannot keep and does nothing for you where that draft pick might. Some bodies have to make it onto the court. Next year Ryno is an expiring contract someone else may want as part of another trade package and an asset Sacramento gets to move again for another 1st. The contract is valuable, even if the player may not be.

Fullcourt likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Windhorst: Wasting money on food.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]