1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: Wasting money if you bet on Lebron to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Moving anderson does not create cap space. Still way over. What information are you looking at. LMAO. Bringing back most of our current team which is the only reason lebron would come here in the first place, we are over the cap. To create even 15 million of cap space wed have to renounce rights to all our free agents. Even in some dream world signing lebron to cap space after we gutted the whole roster, we would then be operating under the cap and dont even get a MLE. Wed be capped out with no options.ITS NOT AN OPTION. Quit floating it around like it is. Go read BIMAs article again. You obviously still dont get it.

By that logic lets sign boogie cousins to a 1 year vet minimum because hey its an option. Man cmon. Thats not an option.

bilaal14 likes this.
  2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You could say his opinion varies with the Wind....

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree. There isn't even a position conflict. PG, SG, SF. The ONLY time there is real conflict is if the star being brought in plays the same position as one of the other key players...and even then, in today's NBA, they can probably work it out. There are now really just smalls and bigs...and LeBron can actually be either. So still no conflict.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

My understanding is that even though he doesn't really fit, NOLA is going to give him the max just because they cannot afford to lose the asset. The funny thing is if they lowballed him $10M+1, knowing his injury, in that world he might consider an MLE for 1 year as a prove it contract to be a FA at the end of the season for a chance at a championship knowing he would be back for end of season. 100% DO NOT BELIEVE THIS WILL HAPPEN.

bilaal14 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

(Timing for LeBron?) I don't anticipate it'll be a quick LeBron decision. My sense has been they'll take their time. It's not clear cut what makes the best sense. Teams will have to be creative under the salary cap, whether it's clearing cap space or working a sign & trade. Two teams, two legit contenders have space who can do it: Lakers & Philadelphia. Lakers can create 2 max spots to go after Paul George & LeBron, which is their plan. Everywhere else, a lot of salary cap gymnastics. That could extend this. That'll freeze up free agency because until he decides, there won't be a lot of movement in the league.

DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Lakers are legit contenders in the same breath as Philly???? Wtf...

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He means 2 legit contenders to have the cap space and LeBron's attention. any other team that LeBron might like doesn't have the cap space.

J.R. likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think it could have been articulated a bit better, but thanks for the explanation.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Spot on @Gorilladunks.... people need to read more and talk less... operating below the cap is NOT AN OPTION. Its a non issue. Not even worth talking about.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

[​IMG]

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

The magic words there is moving Anderson. How are you going to do that. Cleveland sure as hell does not want him especially if it keeps them paying luxury tax.

Hell I would love to see Lebron here. I just don't see it happening. Everyone who thought that Anderson contract would come back and bite us were right. We are hamstrung with that albatross.

amaru likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Talking about the Cavs paying the luxury assumes that they keep the rest of the team intact when it's obvious that if Lebron leaves they'll do a fire sale dumping all of their highly paid players. Also, you can always pay a team that has cap space with 2 first round picks to take him. It's not THAT difficult.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By trading two future 1st-round picks, which the Rockets were unwilling to do for Carmelo (and could only offer 2020 and 2022 at that time, even if they were).

DonKnock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My favorite post in this thread from @finsraider. CP came to Houston last year for a reason. And the season that the Rockets had justified his decision. It speaks volumes.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A deal can be made. Whether it would require EG and Tucker remains to be seen.

Ideally, we are able to keep Tucker and Capela. Move EG, Ryno (to a third team), 19, 21, 23 picks, second rounds picks

joshuaao likes this.
  18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Ok. I will admit when it comes to value on picks I am not that versed. But what value would our firsts have? If we are still contending those years what is the difference between our firsts and high second round picks other than the money you have to commit to the drafted player. I mean I would suspect our firsts would be mid to high 20's (at least one would hope). Is that enough to get some team to say ok. We will finish paying for your mistake. Sure we could send 5 mil and reduce the sting. But that is still 36 million for a 6'10" flatulence maker

19. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

For reference, Demarre Carroll (2 yrs/30mil) was traded into Brooklyn's cap space last summer for Toronto's 1st and 2nd round pick.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance