1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If CP3 ditches the Rockets, no big FA's sign, and Capela isn't matched...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

No CP3? No Capela? No big name FA's?

Well, I guess Morey could go with a back to the future lineup. Trade for Asik and Lin and start over again.

Coach E likes this.
  2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Bro GTFO.... yule c.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh yeah I forgot CP3 is a free agent. I keep thinking he has a year on his deal

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yep.

By far, the biggest thing DM needs to be doing now, along with Harden, is getting info from CP3 on his intentions. Like "I'm absolutely coming back here no matter what happens elsewhere as long as you offer me contract x,y,z" or "I'd love to come back... we'll see..." ...

...those are two different things, by far...

And if its the later, you need to follow up and pry as much info as possible. Cause if there's even a sliver of possibility that CP3 might go back to LA to try and join Lebron and PG with the Lakers... and on its surface, it seems like that's an absolute possibility... well that's very concerning!!

But CP3 would have to take a huge discount, you say incredulously. Um... no, he won't. The Lakers can create near 2 max cap spaces, while STILL having the assets to S&T for a 3rd. And absolutely you'd expect Presti to be open to something like Deng, Ingram, Ball (or whatever) than being left with absolutely nothing.

In which case... IMO... you'd rather be the one doing the S&T, then potentially losing CP3 for nothing.

Obviously this all can go down a bunch of different ways, and its a VERY fine line to walk of "we want you here no matter what. Let's try and get Lebron. Or PG ourselves. Or upgrade some other way" and "well, if you're maybe, even 2% chance not going to be here, we'd love to know to at least be prepared to try and get some value back for you".

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like it would have been blown up . . . . LOL

Rocket River

6. Tocoal2000

Tocoal2000 Member

Let me just say this. THIS IS JAMES HARDENS TEAM!!! I like cp3 and he gave us that extra bump to get over the hump. That's what he was brought here to do. And being fair, he cost us that championship....Yes injuries happen but now we have to play the what if game. Despite the refs being virtually one sided James Harden is the most consistent piece on this team. Never injured and always plays. Yes he can get sloppy but that's why cp3 was here. To help him when the defense focuses on him primarily. Cp3 has been injured in 4 straight playoffs including the one where they lost a 3-1 series lead to us. he missed almost 40 games this year and the 2 most critical games of his career. Do the math. 82 games in a season and you only play just over half and you still get hurt???? And he wants max money??? As much as we need him to catapult us I would not give him max money. To me it is a slap in the face that you would even ask. Example: If you come to work everyday and your boss decides to give a raise to the guy who calls in half the time, and when he is at work he gets there late and leaves early.....Not fair.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While I don't necessarily agree with your pessimistic takes in general, this is an excellent post. Morey does have some challenges ahead of him. We can only hope that CP3 has told Morey he's coming back no matter what. That would allow Morey to dedicate his time and energy exploring options on how to improve the roster.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

gotta love these guys who try to connect a regular 9-5 to an nba career

9. REEKO_HTOWN

If this actually happened Morey will have to lose his job right? You know Harden will make that happen right?

10. Tocoal2000

Tocoal2000 Member

If we don't max cp3 and he leaves.....The rockets will still be okay. We will let him walk and probably let capela walk as well. Lets be real capela is not that good. No post game and not a good shooter but he shines because harden made him who he is. We will get D.Jordan on the low and might see if we can go sign K.Irving if possible. But Daryl Morey don't take kindly to threats. See what happened to chandler parsons???? Havent heard from that guy since he left Houston. Keep listening to the media and they will have you thinking Draymond Green really is an all-star

11. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Sorry but in what way are we in the drivers seat? If we add another shooter that still doesnt change our odds against the warriors. Impact piece has to be a big one for us to be the team to beat

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

someone loves being an early round exit in the playoffs

13. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I do not take it seriously any you're-telling-me-there-is-a-chance-tail-scenario thread. The same way I do not take it serious any holic-aka-we-champ-with-Wubio-bye-Capela threads.

14. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

jaja crazy.. if it wasnt for CP3 i doubt we make it as far as we made it. this guy ball in the Timberwolves and Jazz final games to close it out

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

If all of your friends and family die, your cat runs away, and you get diagnosed with cancer, then where do you go from there?

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Man gtfoh .. Houston and a healthy Boston team are the only real threats to GS

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ha! I lean pessimistic in tone only because there's so much blind optimism ("shoot, if only CP3 dind't get injured!!" as if it was reasonable to think he'd stay healthy). In truth, I just try and be a realist about it.

But yeah... this is WAY more important than what to do with Capela for example. Do we match him Capela at max? Do we encourage him to take his time? Etc. Doesn't really matter that much to me or require complex thought. Capela will be matched. This isn't a tough decision. Even with a max deal, he will by no means have the worst contract or close in the NBA and with or without CP3, Harden will make Capela effective offensively in the regular season and Capela himself will show up defensively and on the boards. So worst case, he's tradeable. You can't afford to lose assets for nothing (as DM and the Rockets have done more often than not in the last few years as they worked to "cash-in" on the assets they had).

CP3 and specifically CP3 in the next 12 months is about as integral as anything this franchise has seen in awhile. Does he stay? If not, can you get value for him? If he does, can you make it all work next year or AT WORST the following... because he'll be 34 in the playoffs next year and 35 the following year... and with his injury history he's not going to be a late 30's dominant or healthy guy (it's easy to forget things like Isiah retiring at 32, Bird retiring at 35, Kobe basically being done after his 34 year season because of injury, etc... when you see a guy like Lebron dominating as he ages. CP3 is too good and smart to get a ton worse over the next 3 years because of age, but he's way too injured to expect not to see annual injuries from him(.

18. aroundtheblock2

No he wouldnt because the Rockets would be over the cap either way.

19. aroundtheblock2

There are very good LeBron reasons why CP3 hasn't come out and said he's resigning...

Bobsputin, REEKO_HTOWN and RKREBORN like this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

This is very true and frankly I'm sure Morey has contingencies for the possibility. Morey is into having back up plans

RKREBORN likes this.