1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick as Gordon replacement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jakedasnake, Jun 13, 2018.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Redick is a bit better than Gordon so of course I'd be down. Gordon regressed from his first year here, he seems a bit out of shape or something. Redick is a much more consistent (and better) three point shooter.

2. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

From a basketball perspective, JJ is limited compared to EG. EG brings more than just 3s - he spaces the floor better with that extra range, can dribble penetrate, is strong / serviceable on D in the low post, can finish in the lane strong and get the occasional and-1 (except for when Scott Foster, Marc Davis, TBro, or Mike Callaghan is the baseline ref). EG won't get singled out on the defensive side like JJ did.

With that said, it would be nice to have JJ for a more reliable jumper, whether it was from 3 or midrange. And with him next to CP3, there would be instant synergy, something I was hoping to see more between CP3 and EG more regularly last year.

Sadboy likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is true relative to their guards.

Obviously the Nuggets hoped to get more than 14 points, 6 boards, 3 assists in 38 games for $30 million.

I didn't realize till just looking it up... apparently the team has a TEAM option for 2019-2020, so effectively this is an expiring contract for him. They can maybe get more for him, or are better just letting him walk.

I also knew it was a lot of money, didn't realize it was $30 million a year. It would have to be Gordon and Anderson. I mean... you can ever have enough scoring guard depth and maybe they bet on Ryno being able to give them 20+ mpg and stretch the floor next to Jokic?? Probably not though...

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Anderson and Jokic would easily be the worst defensive frontcourt in the league. That pairing would be awful. Millsap the player isn’t a bad fit for the Rockets but the Rockets and Nuggets aren’t great trade partners right now.

JayZ750 likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

All-You-Can-Eat BBQ Chicken Buffet :D

6. DVauthrin

The Nuggets would love to dump Faried. Problem is he makes 13 million next year on an expiring deal. The Nuggets don’t want Anderson (they have Trey Lyles and Darrell Arthur behind Millsap) and trading Gordon for Faried makes the Rockets worse.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

And no need to even make a move for Faried when you have Harrell sitting out there for half the price, probably even less

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He looks like a douche. Pass.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Redick got his big payday because it was specifically a one-year deal. He was a stop gap player that Philly would use their cap space one while they waited to chase the big fish this year. He's not a $24M/yr player any more than KCP is an $18M/yr player with the Lakers. They're both due for massive paycuts when they sign longer deals this summer. Neither of their teams want to bring them back and there aren't too many teams with cap space.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wonder where Montrezl's name came up in the CP3 trade last year. Like was he mentioned before PBev? A must-have guy?

Cause he'd have been nice to have off the bench this past year. Could have actually been playable in the playoffs.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

personally i'd view it as lou, pb, harrell then the rest

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

JJ would be ok if we lose Gordon in a trade, but while he's a disciplined defender, he's not even close to Gordon who can guard 3/4 positions.

As for Millsap, while i'm a fan of the player, i would be ok only as last resource if we can't get anything better, and only if to get him we won't lose Gordon. If to get him it takes Anderson and 1st rounders/fillers i'm all for that, if Gordon is required no thanks.

Sadboy likes this.
  13. DVauthrin

Not disagreeing with you about why Redick got 24 million on a one year deal from the Sixers. However, the likelihood of him going from
    24 million to a 5-7 million a year MLE contract is highly unlikely, unless he’s all about playing for a contender. If the Sixers strike out on PG13 and LeBron, they’ll bring Redick back on a deal similar to Gordon got from the Rockets.

14. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I'd love to see Redick here. He was extremely close to signing here last summer before the 76ers offered him a starting job. I definitely recommend watching his free agency documentary.

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I like this... but he isnt good on defense. :(

16. hakeemthagreat

Faried is better than Harrell. I see Faried as a better starter in case Clint goes down too. With that said, Trez is not a bad option either

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think beyond maybe pure shooting. . . . . Gordon is superior to Reddick in every way
    HE slashes better and plays better defense
    neither seems to have great handles or passing ability

Rocket River

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets got LeBron, getting Redick or Wayne Ellington with the Taxpayer MLE (4 year deal) would be an excellent move to replace Gordon's bench scoring role.

rocketman84 likes this.
  19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I really don't think this is true. Can anyone that is good at finding defensive ratings post Gordon's defense vs. Redick. I believe they will be extremely similar. EG is a solid defender but is still lacking in lateral speed and height. He also makes dumb fouls while Redick is much more disciplined. Now Redick has probably lost a step or two but he was guarding Harden mostly when he was on the Clippers and did a decent job of it if I remember right.

From what I have seen both have a defensive rating of 110. Redick has an offensive rating of 119 while Gordon's offensive rating is 110.

bilaal14 likes this.
  20. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Why cant we get someone like CLAY THOMPSON!!!! someone that cant miss when open from the 3s.