1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Redick as Gordon replacement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jakedasnake, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am mostly a fan of Gordon but if he is included in a trade to upgrade the roster you have to think Morey and the Rockets will have mutual interest with JJ Redick. He made 23 mil last year which is probably more than he ever dreamed. I think he could be had for a reasonable contract if the minutes are there.

I actually think he is a better fit than Gordon on this team on both ends of the floor. We would miss Gordon's occasional playmaking ability but assuming we get someone equally adept at creating I think Redick is a perfect fit. He is getting older but had one of his best seasons last year.

We would still need length on the wing so Ariza, Mbah a Moute, or other similar players would be needed to help add versatility and length. Or if we can get a true starting PF, that would help Tucker be a versatile option off the bench. I propose trading Anderson + Gordon to Denver for Paul Millsap if we strike out on Paul George or Lebron.

Millsap would provide much needed depth to PF and C position and allow Tucker to either start at the 3 or backup the 3 and 4 spots. Redick would be a Gordon replacement either off the bench or starting with Harden and Paul. Morey could probably find better end of bench depth than he did last year. Some crafty vets still trying to hang on that could contribute throughout the year may be worth while.

Paul/Harden
    Redick/Green
    Harden/Mbah A Moute/Tucker
    Millsap/Tucker
    Capela/Nene/Black or Qi

MyLateRegistration and bilaal14 like this.
  2. mightybosstone

But how do you bring him here? Assuming they actually land Lebron (which is still a massive "if"), they'll have used up most or all of their assets in some kind of a sign and trade. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe the only real funds they'd have would be the taxpayer MLE, which is worth somewhere around $5 million a season, or something like 3 years, $16 million. Why would a guy who made $22 million last year sign a deal to make less than that over three seasons?

I'd love Reddick in a Rockets uniform, too, but I just don't see a scenario where this happens.

Edit: Just saw your original post suggest Millsap and not Lebron, but the same logic still applies.

J.R. likes this.
  3. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I think Redick is a slight downgrade but would be a good replacement if we had to ship Gordon out. Gordon's ability to slash mainly is what would suffer.

Are there caps on contract kickers? He's not worth 22 mil, but could we offer the MLE and a bunch of contract kickers (ie. bonus' for achievements)

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

What he said. From $23M to making less than that over 4 years.

If Houston operates over the salary cap this summer, the Rockets will have access to the Mid-Level Exception (MLE), either the Non-Taxpayer variety ($8.57 million, the use of which would impose a hard cap at the “apron” level – currently projected at about $129 million) or the Taxpayer variety ($5.29 million).

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

No, EG's defense is light years better than Reddick, he would've been picked on more than Curry.

34to11, clutchdabear, lw17 and 2 others like this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Redick isn’t going from a 1 year 24 million deal to the MLE. Also, Denver isn’t trading Millsap unless they were to get Capela in a sign and trade and play Jokic more as a PF on offense. Millsap is a really good fit next to Jokic and they certainly don’t need Gordon. The Nuggets are overloaded with guard talent. Also, Anderson next to Jokic would be the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA.

don grahamleone and J.R. like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Salary cap yo.

JJ is only available in a sign and trade involving either Gordon or Ryno... in which case you aren’t getting a Lebron type.

That said... the idea of trading for Milsap in the event Lebron doesn’t happen isnt horrible. Cant imagine Denver was in love with the value they got there. He’s best as a 3rd/4th option and he’s old.

If Anderson only had 1 year left on his deal it could be possible. Otherwise they probably do want Gordon. EG bounced back a little bit against GSW solely bu hitting a couple big late shots. BUT... like most of the team (Capela and CP3 are the exceptions to me) he underperformed in the playoffs.

Plus it’s a matter of roster balance.

So I’d probably be open to that trade... even though you are taking on more injury risk.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Love JJ but it's extremely unlikely.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Reddick is a decent defender, I don't think there'd be much of a dropoff.

#9 Fullcourt, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes a huge dropoff from EG, especially when it comes to versatility on the defensive end. we've seen EG be able to hold his own against bigs when they try to exploit that matchup. Reddick isn't capable of that.

Reddick is a decent option but not someone I'd consider as an actual replacement for EG. Reddick is just too limited of a player to be in that EG role

34to11 likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Nuggets are not trading Paul Millsap for Eric Gordon and filler. They are flush with guard/wing talent already: Jamal Murray, Gary Harris, and Will Barton (who they are likely to re-sign in free agency), and were one game away from the playoffs with a young core. Also, they need Millsap at power forward next to Jokic.

The only way the Rockets could entice them would be to include Tucker in the deal to play power forward next to Jokic, or sign and trade Capela to Denver for Millsap, and play Jokic more as a power forward. Neither of those ideas makes the Rockets better though.

justtxyank likes this.
  12. justtxyank

JJ is a very smart defender. I don't think the dropoff is that extreme between the two, especially on switches. Where JJ is more likely to be a liability is against the quicker guards than the bigger wings.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

he might be a good iq defender but that can only go so far. I like that he does give effort on that end but i dont consider him as versatile on that end if were comparing him to EG.

14. CACH12

CACH12 Member

It would be an exellent consolation prize but i think the most underrated aspect of gordon play is the ball handling. Reddick provide us a THREAT on the 3pt line game in and game out but we would have that "creator" coming of the bench so i think if rox loose gordon they will talk to tyreke evans who can put the ball on the floor. Obviously im saying this thinking about the warriors cause VS them, you cant have enough ball handlers. But in the other side, and proving your point right, if we loose gordon in a trade(pg13,lbj or butler) that ball handling duty of gordon wouldnt be as needed as after the trade cause any of those 3 stars has ball handling ability. Either way, let just hope we get a 3rd star first, lol.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yikes. if theres one thing thats cringeworthy about EG, its his ball handling. that's just a role he isn't ideal for and does get exploited

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Did y'all not watch the playoffs? He would be a significant drop off on the defensive end from EG. He literally can't guard guys in the post or get's blown by. It's not for a lack of effort or IQ, he's just not built that way. I wouldn't give him anything more than a year. If you bring Lebron in (I'm sure Morey will be like "we can add a Reddick, etc.) then sure let's bring him in at the right price. Other than that, meh.

34to11 and cheke64 like this.
  17. justtxyank

In this hypothetical scenario we have added Lebron. How many ball handlers do you need?

At that point I'd value JJ's movement and superior shooting WAY more than any ball handling or slashing skills from Gordon.

Also, JJ is better at slashing than people give him credit for. He's not a dribble creator, but he can attack the basket without the ball and catch for easy lay ins.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t like him defensively against GS so not that interested

gotta be able to play and defend multiple positions...those are the players I want

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

Could we pry Fareed away? I honestly think this guy could be a HUGE backup PF/C for us filling in for Capela next year. I been saying for years this guy's energy & athleticism could help our 2nd unit. Denver doesn't even want him too

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While I do understand JJ would have to take a massive paycut, I don't think it is that implausible that he take a MLE type contract. Before this past year started, I figured he would be a good target since he basically got paid for 2-3 years for the price of 1. He was massively overpaid last year so all of you saying, I can't see him taking a paycut that is unavoidable. He is taking a paycut no matter what, the question is how much of a paycut?

I assume Redick understands that he can still make a good contract in this league and still be on a "contender". If Philly sucked last year, he may have been more likely to walk but if I was a player like him I would want to get paid and have at least a chance at competing in the playoffs which he found in Philly. I agree it is very unlikely but I can guarantee Morey, Paul, Harden will be trying to recruit him after the game 7 debacle. Sounds like he was willing to take a discount last year but the 1 year 23 mil offer was way too good to pass up and a once in a lifetime type of contract (brilliant move by Philly by the way).

Also, Millsap is a pipe dream but Denver could easily ship out Gordon to a 3rd team for frontcourt depth or a 1st round pick. Maybe the Rockets include picks as well? Either way, I would be looking to trade Millsap if I am Denver but of course and Anderson + Gordon + picks package can most likely be beat. Keep in mind, Millsap played in only 38 games last year and is 33 years old.