1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MAX - SUPERMAX

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sidarma, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Hey i lost count to the countless players wanting max and supermax .
    2 years ago i thought a team can only have one max and supermax.

Here is one supermax example
    The first player to sign a DVPE contract, also known as a "supermax" contract, was Stephen Curry, who agreed to a new five-year DVPE deal with the Warriors, worth$201 million, that runs through the 2021–22 season. Curry signed the contract once the NBA's free agency moratorium ended on July 6, 2017.

In light of the donkey asking for a supermax, i lost count of it all now because curry,durant,klay iggy alone are 4 max and over 100 million easy....

Our team if cp3 resigns and lebron joining us will be absurd overall
    harden 33,cp3 35 lebron 35 thats already 100 million for 3 players :eek:

Question, how many max and supermax can one team have barring the cap etc, so help me clarify it for me please.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Max Kellerman or Super Max Kellerman, I'm down for whatever.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You have bounced back well enough from the WCF exit.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Max Kellerman or Super Max Kellerman, I'm down for whatever.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I disagree. I still haven't watched anything basketball related, SportsCenter, or the various YouTube channels I used to frequent since the WCF exit. I'm operating in a place of abject indifference. All my basketball related posts have been too snarky IMO. I'm in a bad place still. As it stands now, I don't care what the Rockets do in the off-season. I'm rooting for Lebron to choose GSW so he can set fire to the NBA.

I'm following the Astros right now for goodness sake. I don't know If I can trust Dallas Keuchel.

6. malakas

malakas Member

I'm not a cap expert so what I say may be wrong.
    But as far I know there's no theoritical limit to the amount of second contract max and a team can only offer two supermax. Also only two rookie max.

But of course it doesn't matter except for rookie maxes because no owner will be willing to be pay 200 mil only in taxes.

Also there are very few players who qualify for super max contracts. Paul George didn't qualify for one. Kyrie won't qualify for one. Cousins and Durant either.
    You need the accolades but also your team not to trade you.

From memory I think the supermax right now is WB, Wall, Harden, Curry..Soon AD.
    So only 5 players in the league.

heypartner and Sidarma like this.
  7. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

GS can have all the max players it wants but HOU can only have 2 and that’s pushing it

Sajan likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Max Supermax is the hero we need

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're losing count because ppl are using the term supermax incorrectly.

Durant is *not* a supermax player. Neither is Iggy.

DVPE/ Supermax means you are getting the max above what is allowed for your tenured years. Durant and Lebron are already at 10+ years, so they don't need DVPE status to get the top max, which is 35%. Besides, neither of them qualify for a DVPE, because you can't switch teams via free agency.

And to answer your question, teams are allowed two DPVE players, but only one via a trade while still under rookie-scale contract (eg Harden).

Here is Max pay for non-DPVEs

Years played
    • 0-6 = Max is 25% of cap (30% as designated Rookie-contract qualifying for supermax)
    • 7-9 = Max is 30% of cap (35% for DPVE)
    • 10+ = Max is 35% (this is the Top. no one can make more. Doesn't require any designated status)

Sidarma and malakas like this.