1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: Wasting money if you bet on Lebron to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 12, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I remember when he returned to the Cavs that a lot of people thought that team was a year away from contention. In part because high draft picks like Kyrie and Tristan were unproven. In part because Kevin Love, while a terrific player in Minnesota, had never once gotten his T'Wolves teams to the playoffs. So people were a little surprised when they not only reached the Finals, but did it with relative ease despite missing Love for the Semifinals and ECF and Kyrie for parts of those series.

So I can understand LeBron thinking to himself that there's a similar opportunity awaiting him in LA. Young unproven players with a lot of talent and potential just like Kyrie and Tristan. Valuable young assets that can be flipped for veteran stars just like Wiggins and Bennett(before he was deemed a total bust) were traded for Love. And this time LeBron won't be alone as he'll likely have Paul George by his side.

The problem is the East in 2015 was a joke. Who did LeBron have to beat to reach the Finals? The Celtics were a sub-.500 team. The Bulls actually gave the Cavs some trouble in the 2nd round. They led 2-1 and should've probably gone up 3-1, but the refs conveniently overlooked Blatt trying to call a timeout his team didn't have(which would've led to a technical) when the game was tied 84-84 at the end. And then the Hawks who were maybe the weakest 60 win team I've ever seen and were swept despite no Love, barely any Kyrie, and Atlanta having home court.

Juxtapose that with the West next season. The first round won't be a picnic. The Lakers could wind up facing the likes of the Blazers, Pelicans, Spurs, T'Wolves, or Nuggets. Then they likely get the Warriors and Rockets in the next two rounds. And this time around, LeBron will be 34 years old. If he wins a title under those conditions, he really will cement himself as the GOAT. But I remain skeptical about his chances.of even returning to the Finals, much less hoisting another trophy.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Lebron is going to the Spurs. Mark it.

amaru likes this.
  3. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Guess its a wrap. He's not coming to Houston. Lebron is a megastar and the Houston lifestyle isn't appealing for someone like him.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

There is going to be a lot of noise around all of this, so I wouldn't get fixated on each "report".

As Rockets fans, there is one "trump" card that should give us optimism: Chris Paul. Not just the fact that he is here, or that he is close friends with Lebron, but WHY he came here. The reason he chose Houston is because he wanted to win, and he thought THIS was the best place to do that. He turned out to be undeniably correct.

Lebron may choose a different team. He may pick Boston or Philly for their potential, or the Lakers (my guess) so that he gains full control of the organization. But what he cannot do is claim that any of those places give him a better chance at winning in 2019 or 2020. The Rockets have challenged GSW in a way no other team has in the last 2 years, and there is no reason to expect a steep drop off in the next few years.

YOLO, Deuce, everyday eddie and 4 others like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't disagree. I would just say,

for one I think while obviously anyone would want to keep the hopes of championships alive as long as possible, that Lebron has a broader view of his legacy. In the sense that it involves all sorts of things... like him still being so dominant in his 15th year, like him likely breaking a ton of records by the time he's done, like him uplifting multiple organizations, etc. The one downside to not having a "guaranteed" trip to the Finals nearly every year is that it will be much harder for him to get to those cumulative playoff and Finals records that he's pretty close to.

and for two, I think Lebron + Paul George + what the Lakers already have + what will happen after this summer is already pretty good. I mean that's a 3rd seed in the West next year already, depending on what happens to the Spurs and Kawhi. Bear in mind they were 37-45 this year. Which isn't amazing, but also not a huge stretch to basically add Lebron and PG to it and get close to 50 wins. Personally I think they'd package some of those young assets for something else. I don't feel like Magic and the Lakers actually like Lonzo that much, for example. Could you get a John Wall (he's a Rich Paul guy btw)? A Goran Dragic? Kemba Walker? Mike Conley (if Grizzlies decide on rebuild and don't want to be hampered with Conley's contract)? Bear in mind NOP got Boogie for a bag of peanuts. Eric Beldsoe (not that I love him) went for basically a salary dump. Etc.

Even with moves to be made, that team could be a second round exit, or a Finals team. You never know.

6. rockets13champs

It’s cuz windhorst career is made covering Lebron. He wants to move to sunny Los Angeles not humid Houston

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

LBJ to Houston confirmed

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

GSW, the players and fans disdain Lebron and he knows it. Go online and check out today's parade, ton of shots against LBJ.

Draymond is not even trying to hide it plus even Oakland cops are joining in with fathead of Lebron crying meme on their vehicles.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. steveng125

steveng125 Member

In the end I see him going wherever cp3 is

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

he's too fat and doesn't want to follow lebron into htown heat

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol but San Antonio is lmao

12. htown7829

htown7829 Member

Unfortunately, I see CP3 going wherever LBJ goes

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Houston is Lebron's only option not named Boston to pass Jordan.

The LA thing sounds nice, but it isn't happening unless they find a way to get another top 10 player to commit.

Even then, they would have to ship off two of the Lonzo, Kuzma, Ingram trio.

Raisin and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Like the great @Pen15clubber once said, "WIndhorst has Dr. Pepper running through his veins"

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, you're right actually. I did listen to it, but I was at work and doing something else at the same time, and I guess I just heard something that wasn't said.

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  16. Sadboy

Sadboy Member

No neck?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is really the bottom line. We give him the best chance, followed by Boston. There may be a few others out their, but not sure they fit. If LBJ chooses LA its for his brand/his family's future. LAL could put together a nice team, but doubt its going to beat either GS or HOU.

If he goes to Boston, they have a great coach, a solid team with vets/youth, and he stays in the East. This is plausible and very compelling in some ways, but does LBJ and family want to live in Boston?

I try to not get all hyped up about a us getting a guy like this, but after last off-season, I'd say anything is possible. So the question is, "Does LeBron truly want to win championships and solidify himself as the GOAT (because he's not now in my book) or does he want to build his brand and get frustrated when they lose in the play-offs? What's your move Bron?

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

It's so funny hearing a Ex NBA Player talk about it. The other day I was listening to the radio, really forgot who it was.... but they were like the Rockets should let go of Chris Paul and just sign Lebron.

Smh

Just come on CF and learn.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Boston is his best choice.

If he goes to LA there is a good chance he has to play Hou, GSW, and Boston in the playoffs.

People are forgetting that.

If he goes to Boston. Easy coast to play Houston or GSW.

I just don’t think Ainge would mortgage the future for Lebron. Which he shouldn’t.

20. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

i can remember everybody in the media saying Houston was the best fit lol now all I'm hearing is he won't fit with Houston lmao I ignore all media news cause they just say things to have a story

D-rock and DonKnock like this.