1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morey focus on Paul George rather than LeBron?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Should Morey focus on Paul George rather than LeBron?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Why not both?

36 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

hou will still be very competitive with these moves, but that still leaves the margin for error against GS slim. the idea is to open up that room as much as possible. Hou won't be doing that with just minor tweaks, especially when GS will do their part and upgrade where they can as well. With the possible options that may be available I can see where Reeko is coming from as far as disappointing, if thats what hou ends up doing.

Reeko likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wouldn’t be ecstatic about that. CP3’s health can’t be trusted at all. This year it’s a pulled hamstring, next year watch it be a bad knee. CP3 is aging and will be declining. I’m not that enamored with moving forward with Harden and an aging, injury prone CP3 as our 2 stars surrounded by role players. I think we need another star. We need another player that can consistently give us high level production. I’ve already said how I felt about that series against GS. 2 of our 3 wins were by 3 and 4 points. GS won all 4 of their games by at least 9 points. The game 4 win at Oracle was a borderline miracle. Who’s to say GS doesn’t win those close games next year instead of us?

Verbal Christ and hakeem94 like this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

why would pg13 take far less money to play here? dude wants to join the lowly fakers and get paid he aint about this 65 win life

amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Yes, but it won't happen. He would have to take a CP3 type discount by opting in AND OKC would have to be willing to trade him to us. Both are highly unlikely. I think he signs a max FA deal with either LA or OKC after July 1st.

amaru likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

We should be prepared for a back up plan for not getting PG or Lebron. If Lebron goes to LA, PG is almost certainly going. Idk what we need but there has to be something else out there that can makes us better.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Edit: never mind. lol

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

If I’m HOU I want an answer by ether player before July 1st. If either player says no to HOU than im going after Boogie Cousins, DJ, and trading for Melo. I’m sorry but I’m jot a HUGE Capela fan, especially not for $20+ mill a year. I rather have DJ at half that price with just as much production.

8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

FACTS

ROXonROXonROX likes this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

Really? Maybe LA for the sake of hometown advantage. But OKC? We CLEARLY have the advantage over them. First off, we're the best place to win right now. Secondly, our organization is top tier from top to bottom. Third, Harden & PG are both from LA as well as Ariza. Theres CLEARLY alot of LA ties on the Rockets. The Rockets made their stock go up after almost beating GS this year. No other team in the NBA believed Daryl Morey when he said he was obsessed with beating GS in the offseason. Our GM is a risk taker and players have to respect that

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Yes, really, that’s how I feel right now. What about PG makes u think that all he cares about is winning and that he’s starving for titles? OKC is a good organization, and PG has a good relationship with Russ and the organization by all accounts. They can also pay him the most money. Unless PG has some sort of special relationship with Harden and Ariza that I’m unaware of, them being from the LA area doesn’t mean much to me. I know that PG and Harden were on the same USA Team back in 2014 for only a short while before PG broke his leg, but other than that, I don’t know of any meaningful relationship that he currently has with either Harden or Ariza.

I have very little hope for PG to Houston being a reality which is why I don’t discuss him much

11. baubo

baubo Member

There’s very little chance the Rockets get either player after July 1st. If FA begins and the Rockets haven’t done anything, it means they’re not probably not gonna be doing much of anything in terms of stars.

So at least the good news is we won’t have to drag this out into mid July like some previous off seasons.

12. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Payl george is sacrificing millions to come here if he did. Everyone keeps forgetting he has to opt in to a deal that gets him 20 million next year. When he can just sign fir the max in LA outright for much more

13. hakeemthagreat

Dude OKC was one of the biggest failures in the NBA last season. You could see the frustration in their eyes at times playing with WB. The organization is decent, but the coach has know idea how to manage 3 superstars, and their star player is a complete ballhog and stat padder. I seriously doubt he goes back to OKC just to watch WB dribble out the clock every night.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can only go by reports that have been made about PG such as these recent ones from Shams and Woj

"I think there's a lot of positivity around it, and I think even around Paul George, there's a sense he feels like he's in a good place in Oklahoma City. But things change," Charania said. "There's different dominoes that's going to change over these next few weeks. LeBron James is probably the biggest domino that's going to drop. Until the league gets ahold of what his aspirations are, Paul George can very well decide to stay in Oklahoma City and not wait for what LeBron James is going to do."

According to Charania, one reason George may stay in Oklahoma City is because of the strong relationship he has with Russell Westbrook.

"Paul George has become really close to Russell Westbrook and I think that's a relationship that you can't quantify,' Charnaia said. "I think that means a lot for the Thunder franchise. They might be bonding better than Kevin Durantand Russell Westbrook did during Kevin Durant's free agency. They're spending a lot of time just, you know, doing what friends do. That could go a long way for Oklahoma City as it goes into July 1."

Of note, Charania's reporting is similar to what ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski recently reported.

“But Oklahoma City’s done a great job of selling him on a future there, and he liked playing with Russell Westbrookand Steven Adams and Billy Donovan,” Wojnarowski said. “They have a real opportunity to keep him, but the Lakers are home. He grew up in L.A., and when he left Indiana his plan was that he would be in L.A. in a year. So you have to credit Oklahoma City for really turning his head on that.”

I’ll ask u again, what about Paul George has shown u that all he cares about is winning and that he’s desperate for titles? Do I think PG is returning to OKC? No, because I think LA is the clear favorite. At the end of the day, Paul George coming here is a lot less likely than even Lebron choosing to come here IMO. If he comes here then great, but I have very little hope that that’s gonna happen.

D-rock and amaru like this.
  15. hakeemthagreat

I mean you have to respect this. But I really don't think he's going back to OKC to play w/ Westbrook, in a Billy Donovan system. If you had a legit chance to play with a contender, who has the MVP (who you're friends with), with a coach & organization that embraces it's superstar like we do, you can't do anything but come here. If it's about money he'll go to LA, It's either Rockets or Laker IMO

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

u should read JR’s transcript that he just posted in the cyberx thread...Woj once again reiterated that OKC has done a good job of selling PG on a future in OKC and mentions LA and OKC as the 2 front-runners to sign him...all I’m saying is don’t be so quick to discount OKC in the Paul George sweepstakes

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Forum search "bimathug sign trade apron hard cap." Also, don't seriously think PG will agree to and opt in and trade leaving $10 million in 2019 and a multi-year deal on the table, especially when he had a career threatening all-time scary leg break back in 2014.

amaru likes this.
  18. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Hanging out with his future teammate.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

PG will most likely go to LA. its what he's wanted for over a year. small chance he stays in okc.

lebron will most likely go to LA. the signs are there, the home is there, the kids high school, etc... small chance he choses us or the sixers.

if we miss on both, no sweat. the lebron-george-ball-ingram lineup is pretty good, but they're no warriors and we were better than the warriors this year! in that scenario i would keep the team together, try to offload ryno's salary and use the MLE on someone like tyreke evans, will barton, thad young... with one of those and ego off the bench, we will beat the warriors and there is nothing the refs can do about it.

kjayp likes this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think both are a fool's errands.... aint neither coming to the Rox - imo...
    I hope we dont miss out on an actual acquisition while chasin unicorns...

Marteen likes this.