1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morey focus on Paul George rather than LeBron?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Should Morey focus on Paul George rather than LeBron?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Why not both?

36 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Even if LeBron commits to Houston, there are too many obstacles to overcome. First of all I am not confident at all about finding a taker for Ryan Anderson. Plus Cleveland wouldn't want to receive any salary back in the trade to avoid the tax, meaning they would not have any interest in Eric Gordon. I don't think this deal can be done without throwing in at least 3 future 1st round draft picks.

A trade for Paul George, on the other hand, is much easier to make without mortgaging our team's future. George has a $20.5 million player option this year, which means the trade doesn't have to involve Anderson. Eric Gordon would be a great consolation prize for OKC and we can keep our picks.

George is younger, a great fit for our team, a much less costly option and most importantly James doesn't have to play second fiddle.

What do y'all think?

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think that the chances that Paul George decides to come here are much smaller than Lebron deciding to join the Rockets

right now I’ve got us 3rd at best behind LA and OKC in the Paul George sweepstakes

If Lebron goes to LA, it’s a wrap and we’ll have missed out on our 2 main targets. If Bron doesn’t and LA can’t get 2 max players to go there, then Harden and CP3’s recruiting might be enough to get him to come here over being by himself in LA or staying with Russ.

CALI_MOST_WANTD, D-rock and TreP3 like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get the feeling that PG13
    Does 1 of 2 things
    1. Stay in OKC
    or
    2. Go to LA

and it is like 30% change of Staying and 70% chance of going to LA

Rocket River

4. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

I think Clutchfans is going to have to start addressing the fact that neither will be houston rockets. I am hoping that Morey has a good backup plan in place because the west is about to get a lot tougher. If the plan is to bring back the rest of the team and add a decent bench player then this is not going to go very well. I agree that we had the tools to beat the warriors if cp3 was healthy. But we have to hope on that again going forward? Yah, not going to be a fun summer

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This.

There was a thread yesterday about backup plan. It did not get a lot of attention. But it is the most likely scenario.

Mazulis, kwakmeister and ashleyem like this.
  6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Should Morey focus on George instead of LeBron?

No.

He should talk to both, do his best to try to convince either, be ecstatic if either one of them say "Yes, I want to come to Houston", and be prepared with whatever other moves to make in the most likely scenario that neither choose here.

7. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Agreed. That is definitely the backup plan but it’s a lot better than it’s been in years past. Keep in mind striking out will allow us to keep those picks and use them to improve again maybe at the deadline?

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't see how he comes here. No way presti sends him here and we don't have the cap room to sign him. LA is home for PG not houston.

9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Stays or becomes a Laker - Overrated anyway

10. JayZ750

?? What picks?

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Future first rounders. We can trade up to four of them once the draft passes.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

based on? can you let the FA period actually begin first atleast and take actual shape

until an actual decision has officially been made Houston is very much in play

13. JayZ750

Ah...
    They're probably not enormously valuable though.
    Backup plan might not be awesome, but this is a top 5 team in any case the next few years.
    I like any and all draft picks.
    But a 25-30 picks isn't exactly moving the needle much.
    But more assets are definitely better than less.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  14. BHannes2BHonest

Our next 3 first round picks 19/20/21

19&21 would be gone in any trade for lebron and/or involving RA.

JayZ750 likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that adding Paul George at the cost of Eric Gordon makes us better. I love Paul George, but I think people are too quick to give up the possible back to back 6th man of the year and 3 point contest winner.

D-rock and juanm34 like this.
  16. JayZ750

Because he's a better player at more of a position of need.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  17. BHannes2BHonest

1st rounders are more coveted now but you’re right. With a pick 25-30 that will get us someone similar to the Lou Williams upgrade we made last year.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Morey will know soon enough if LeBron is coming to Houston. If he isn't, he will be able to move onto other opportunities. This isn't a Chris Bosh or Lowry type situation.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

why not. hes more versatile and better all around and an actual wing, which has become just as important as the pg position in this era

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This. I would much rather keep most of this team in tact.

21. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Truth is the Rockets only need to get an all-tar player to complete a big three.

SF3isBack!! likes this.