1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Dallas Keuchel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 5, 2018.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

My comment was tongue in cheek. I think his comments the last 2 starts have been despicable. Excuse making is a bad look when 70% of his season has been poor.

Really hope he figures it out soon.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Keuchel has 14 starts. 70% of 14 would mean 10 of his starts were terrible.

He has 7 quality starts.

Yes, Keuchel has not been close to his best this year. However, we are extremely spoiled with what our starters have done since the end of last year. Keuchel is pitching like a middle of the rotation dude for most teams. His ERA is 4.45 not 6.50.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I should have used a :)... :)

4. arthowe

arthowe Member

Was at the Seattle game. I don’t remember many cheap hits. There was a heckuva lotta loud contact, though.

5. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

How can you trust a guy named Dallas? =/

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Good points, but if we're picking at nits, I didn't say terrible. I said poor.

Not all QS are made the same. If only half of his starts are quality, and if even just a couple of those are 3 ER in 6 instead of 2 ER in 7, then that's poor in my mind.

Especially knowing what he's capable of...its disappointing to see him playing sub par baseball for basically over a year now. I hope he fixes it, and I hope he stops throwing people under the bus while he figures it out.

7. How Sweet It Is!

Everyone knows he is gone at the end of the year. 100%. He is an As-tro, but, objectively, he is also an As-hole. Not that the Trump Trash in H-town can be objective, of course. The irony, of course, is Keuchel is an ideal fit for the Yankees, who are desperate for starting pitching right now and have a farm system loaded with prospects and a ridiculously deep bullpen. A Keuchel rental would be worth a quality RHP from the bullpen and some prospect.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You want to help the Yankees? That's absurd

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think we as fans tend to have way too short a memory. I am guilty of it myself. Of course we all hope he turns it around, but we shouldn't forget what Keuchel has already acomplished for the Astros. In 2015 he wins the Cy Young. Then he goes into Yankee stadium in a one game play off and throws 6 innings of shutout baseball allowing only 3 hits to win the wild card. This time last year he was 9-0 with a 1.76 era looking like the Cy Young winner again. People were thinking he was going to make between 150-200 million or more when he hits free agency. His struggles could possibly cost him in excess of 100 million dollars. I'm okay with a guy being upset under those circumstances, but yea it's not cool to throw people under the bus. You know his mind has to be spinning with what he has on the line this season.

Not to mention, he helped convince Verlander to come here and was our number 2 starter in the playoffs where we won a World Series...

I will save my disappointment for Ken GIles.

10. texans1095

texans1095 Member

There is no chance of the Astros getting that kind of return for Keuchel. He’s a rental, has significant injury history, is on the wrong side of 30 and is in the middle of an awful stretch. The chances of getting a quality prospect in return for DK is virtually zero. Plus, the only team that would trade for him is a contender. And no contender is going to give up a valuable bullpen arm in return. That would be counterproductive to any contender’s efforts. If he turns it around then there’s no reason to trade him. If he continues to be trash then there’s no market for him. If he’s somewhere in between then he can still help our repeat efforts in some fashion. Basically our best hope is that he turns it around and is able to be a key member of another WS run. But there’s not a chance he’s traded.

arkoe likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the contrary... fans tend to reason just like this... and they get too emotionally attached to players based on past accomplishments that they're likely never to match again.

12. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'll never forget who he was in 15. That was my favorite time to be an Astros fan in the prior 10 years...but he's not that player anymore. Coming to grips with that sucks, but it's the reality.

Again...I'm want him to turn it around and I haven't given up on him doing so. Better to be going thru this in May/June than Aug/Sept. His 17 season isn't completely written yet.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm not trying to reason anything. My not caring so much about his troubles is the exact opposite of being too attached. It doesn't bother me because he's not locked up long term making 20 million plus a year. The best move Luhnow made in the off season was not getting all giddy over the World Series run. Imagine if he extended Keuchel and Marwin based off of last year? Then I would be way more upset with Keuchel's struggles.

He's had a good career with the Astros... and we aren't stuck paying him long term when he is garbage. I can live with that.

#113 Redfish81, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody is questioning how good his career has been.

You were accusing fans of having only short memories and somehow, that should absolve him of his struggles now.

Sure, he's not being overpaid to struggle... and the Astros can walk away at the end of the year. None of that is new. None of that really excuses him from his current struggles.... in fact, many would say the motivation of a big contract typically inspires better performances.

15. How Sweet It Is!

You don't have to "figure out" who you are as a human being. Keuchel is a scumbag.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

And you know this how? Outspoken = scumbag? Because of isolated reporting of quotes? Should we take a reporters view on who you are as a human being?

I have read all of them and IMO, they dont come close to defining him as a person. Its getting sick that some want to throw DK under the bus on personal grounds.

17. Buck Turgidson

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member