1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ohtani out until 2020?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Jun 11, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CrushCity and Houstunna like this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

Angels could not have been any more cautious with him, that really sucks.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Certainly terrible news for baseball. Even though he may have been a possible obstacle for us, he is the most interesting player in years.

I know Tommy John is basically a 2 calendar year injury before pitchers are actually able to return to form. But for hitters, the recovery is much quicker. Theoretically he could be ready to DH in early 2019. Would that somehow curtail his pitching recovery?

SemisolidSnake and texans1095 like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sucks for the Angels if he has to have Tommy John.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's far more valuable to them as a pitcher than he is a DH.

If he was an Astro, I'd be 100% focused on doing whatever it took to get him healthy from a pitching standpoint. The DH aspect was always more of a luxury (and, depending how you look at it, downright "gimmicky"). Reminded me somewhat of Rick Ankiel's debut season with the Cardinals, where he was a relative formidable presence in the lineup on days he was pitching (not Ohtani good, but not plain ol NL pitcher bad).... but in the end, once he was no longer effective as a pitcher, he really wasn't as good of a hitter to be a regular.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He posted a .907 OPS this season. Can he sustain that, I don't know. His raw power is very much legit, his approach at the plate was pretty solid, with plus speed to boot. There's nothing gimmicky about what I've seen. If you removed his pitching entirely he was a very viable top hitting prospect. I don't see why a team would entirely ignore the potential to possibly have an elite outfielder.

Obviously if he can do what he does pitching a full workload it is certainly more valuable, but they were giving him an extremely soft workload for a starter. How valuable is a pitcher you have to handle with kid gloves at all times.

CrushCity and No Worries like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Normally I look at this from the perspective of an Astros fan...... however this is different, he is an extremely unique player and situation and it is too bad. It reminds me of Bo Jackson.... there are a few players that go beyond who you do or don't root for that are special for the game and Ohtani is one for sure.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Bad luck for sure. Have to wonder if this moves the needle for them (Angels) at all as it pertains to them being all in (trying to win) or selling (rebuild).

At a glance, they look to be a fringe wildcard team. The Astros, Yankees and Boston are clearly better. Are they better than Seattle or Cleveland?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just think its more plausible to figure out a hitters weakness/tendencies with more exposure.. vs. an elite pitcher, whereby as long as his god-given arm is attached/healthy, there's always a potential there.

I also don't think the Angels would risk having him play the field and succumb to more injury. I also meant "gimmicky" from a standpoint that he was only going to bat certain days depending on where his pitching start was going to be, and depending on the matchup.

There's plenty of time to just let him be a hitter/DH if that's all he ends up being able to do. For the time being, if he was on my team, I'd try to preserve the pitching factor any way possible.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cleveland doesn't matter as Cleveland likely wins their division. Angels main competition for the second wild card is Seattle. I think they are better than Seattle though Seattle has a decent lead. I would say it was a toss up before Ohtani's injury. Angels still have a decent shot even without Ohtani as Seattle just doesn't have much depth or the prospects to acquire replacements in case of injury.

12. Major

Major Member

At this point, they don't have much to lose waiting a month or two, I don't think - either way, he'd be ready well before 2020 Spring Training. They might as well keep trying PRP and rest and whatever other magic solutions they might have and hope it all works out (like Tanaka). If it doesn't, do the surgery in August or September.

13. Buck Turgidson

Matsuzaka? Darvish? Others I don't care to think of right now? It just seems like it's inevitable with these guys.

14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Tough break for MLB and the Angels.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Are you saying Japanese players are prone to TJS?

16. Buck Turgidson

I'm saying that it seems like the big$ guys that come over end up having arm/shoulder surgery within a couple of years.

I don't know how common it is before they come over here, or how common it is vs. American/Latin players of the same age and same usage. I do know they treat pitchers differently over there when they're in the development stage.

eta: add Tanaka to that list. Maeda has had elbow problems but no surgery yet that I know of. Nomo was healthy until much later in his career.

#16 Buck Turgidson, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Now all that's left is the inevitable July collapse of the Seattle Mariners.

18. Buck Turgidson

4 of the 5 NPB pitchers in MLB right now are on the DL.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Japanese pitchers are notoriously overworked in high school.

20. Buck Turgidson

Like I said, they have a different development track than we do.