1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Theory [NBA Offseason]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach E, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Coach E

Coach E Member

The NBA Free Agency period is honestly my favorite part of the year.

Why has this become such a fascinating time of the year. NBA offseason is the perfect real life application of Game Theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory
    (For those of you unfamiliar, or just need a quick refresher)

A perfect example right now is Chris Paul, from everything we heard in the DM and Mike DAntoni presser, Chris is going to be here and is a pivotal part of their offseason planning.

So why hasn’t Chris come out and just said, “I’m going to sign with Houston”

The obvious answer is, well he wants to at least maintain some leverage for his contract negotiations. While this could be true, I’m sure DM is already prepared to offer him whatever deal Chris wants.

So I think the real reason he hasn’t come out and said he is returning to Houston is LeBron.
    This is where Game Theory comes into play.

If LeBron and Chris plan on teaming up in Houston, the best way is through the Opt and Swap, but if that is the only option for lebron, he loses leverage as the Cavs feel like he won’t walk away and they lose him for nothing.

However if another option for LeBron is to team up with CP3 in LA, a team that doesn’t need to do a opt and swap, then the Cavs realize that the best option might be to trade lebron to Houston.

Of course this LA Laker option is only believable if CP3 hasn’t come out and stated he returning to Houston for sure. CP3 is actually helping LeBron force his way to Houston by pretending he isn’t 100% sure he is staying, and that LA is a possible destination.

Furthermor, the DWade piece about “not going to be a basketball choice” is actually another piece of leverage for LeBron leveraging a trade to Houston. It also helps his image, as the narrative becomes more about him wanting to play with his friend Chris, which is a personal goal of LeBron. And less about teaming up with the sole purpose of winning a championship.

So some people are saying the LA chatter is a negative, I actually believe this is being done intentionally so that the Cavs believe it’s a real possibility. The only way I think this trade happens for Houston is if the Cavs honestly believe he is planning on going to LA.

This sets up the moment when LeBron says yeah I’m planning on LA, but the only other thing I would consider would be a trade to Houston. The Cavs jump at it, they have too or they lose him for nothing, which will drastically slow down their rebuild.

So in summation, LA chatter is actually the tool LeBron and friends are using to get to Houston.

AFS, Tfor3, Eric Riley and 27 others like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this completely.

Tfor3, hajkov, luckyman76 and 4 others like this.
  3. brosef

brosef Member

I sure hope so.

Tfor3, whiskeyred and saleem like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great take OP, good stuff.

Tfor3 likes this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Me too. I was thinking along these same lines.

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Original Game Theory is much more complicated than that, I have to watch Liar Game.

Interesting stuff though.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

“It’s a zero sum game.”

-Sam Seder

Richie_Rich and whiskeyred like this.
  8. photojoe

photojoe Member

I enjoy the offseason too and enjoy trying to see people's ideas for how to improve our team and then se how it actually ends up unfolding.

That said, the problem with the offseason is trying to differentiate all of the speculation ("I think LeBron should go here because of...") from the fake insiders ("My barber's wife's best friend is LeBron's son's teacher and said..") from the actual legit information or sources.

Raisin likes this.
  9. sTWO

sTWO Member

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Reminds of all the Melo conspiracies threads about leverage against the Knicks, holdout till training camp, read between the lines. etc...

And we all saw how poorly that ended. Melo caved in like a b****.

Bottom line is LeBron is not even ready to make a decision right now. He's probably taking the next few weeks off like a normal family guy: go on vacation, come back at the end of the month, and just tell his people what's next.

If it's Houston, then Morey gets the quiet heads up and we start clearing cap and making phone calls.

Unfortunately, these things don't happen with all this advanced game theory stuff you described.

There's no real leverage here.

Cavaliers are not complete idiots. They've planned for this a year in advance.

Just like the Melo situation, Morey is going to have do the other team's homework for them. Cavaliers will want to shed salary and dump contracts in a larger trade possibly involving multiple teams and have Morey find all the suitable partners.

That's how this works. It's all hard work and heavy lifting.

Last year Morey had the Blazers and/or Suns all lined up for the Melo trade, but then Knicks' last second management change killed the deal. Naturally, Morey backed down, unwilling to add more assets to push it beyond the 2-yard line and into the endzone.

The difference this time is Morey would move heaven and earth to land LeBron -- the ultimate prize in Morey's decade long game of flipping assets for superstars.

So let's wait until LeBron makes his decision.

Then, watch Morey paint his ultimate masterpiece. If you thought last summer's Cash Considerations and non-guaranteed contracts was a genius stroke of salary cap manipulation, wait until you see how this beauty comes together.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, LeBron + CP to Lakers?

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sure for clicks until it’s to Houston

DonKnock likes this.
  14. Coach E

Coach E Member

Yeah tell everyone you know it’s happening, thTs the spirit

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

OPs entire post and wikipedia link can be summed up in two words:

smoke screen.

there, i saved everyone a lot of reading.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

This was a good post, OP. I will add that LeBron has a certain amount of leverage over Cleveland even with him leaving a second time because of his association with Rich Paul's Klutch sports group. There is also the carrot of James coming back to buy, or run the Cavaliers in the future. Just as Cleveland played ball with Miami, if LeBron truly wants to go elsewhere, I bet they are inclined to help make it happen if they can anything decent in return.

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. Coach E

Coach E Member

Ah that’s a good point about possible ownership in the future, I agree with you that at the end of the day, teams almost always choose to better themselves then to be bitter and try and screw someone over.

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It's also important that Morey has lined these relationships up with Sac, Chi, and others in advance so that he has real leverage because he has a deal for Ryno out there. All of these items remove the Cavs leverage. You can lose LBJ for nothing or a 1st and help with tax and getting more assets.

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Does LeBron really need all that to get Cleveland to do what he wants? Honestly they should be eternally indebted to him as he brought them their first title ever and all the good he's done for that city. If they even try to screw him whatsoever it's not gonna end well for them.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Coach E

Coach E Member

I think it’s very necessary. This is last big contract / opportunity to win. Unless of course he opts in one year and we do this again next year. LeBron is also very very smart and calculated.

DonKnock likes this.