1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love a realistic option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxFanfrom93, Jun 8, 2018.

1. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

If Lebron leaves Cleveland the Cavs will be looking to shed salary. The rockets could potentially trade Ryan Anderson plus a unguaranteed or shorter contracts for Love plus one

Great way to dump Ryan and get some production for the cap hit. He can play the 5 or 4 and with a rotation of him, Tucker and Capela we are largely covered with the bigs especially playing small ball. A vet min big or Nene can be the 4th big.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Ryno's contract is the same length as Kevin Love's. Love's 2nd year is also a player option that he could possibly opt out of depending on his play next year, so it might actually be shorter. Cavs have no reason to do this.

kevtse, B-Bob, ghettocheeze and 2 others like this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

Why would the Cavs take on a negative player and contract like Anderson for Love if LBJ walks?

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

word of advice: think about why the other team would do the trade before posting it

u are not trading Ryan Anderson, 1 of the worst contracts in all of basketball, and getting Kevin Love in return...more like Myers Leonard and another bad contract to match salaries

Elephant810, D-rock, LUK3 and 6 others like this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I mean we all hate Ryan around here but this is not completely accurate.

Ryan makes 3m less per than Love. They are in luxury tax hell so that’s probably closer to 10m in actual savings the 1st year.

Plus they do it to gain an asset in a future 1st. They also have to be concerned about Love opting out and them receiving no compensation.

That being said....

It’s not a good package and I’m sure the market for Love is better than that.

#5 BigMaloe, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Elephant810 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

OP didn't say anything about adding a first rounder.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

No thanks. Hard pass.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One of the many reasons why I think Houston was successful this year was because they had four above average defenders on the floor with Harden pretty much all of the time. You're going to need the same for Love. I can't see him in a starting lineup because then you're running out two less than average defenders in Harden and Love. It'd work if Love came off the bench and played alongside Paul, Tucker, Ariza and Capela/Gordon/Luc when Harden takes a rest but paying $20+ for a bench player?....hmmm....

D-rock, YOLO and noppeper like this.
  9. BigMaloe

If we are being honest I think my ideal “realistic” trade would be Ryan for Tyson straight up or Tyson and Dudley.

2nd ideal “realistic” trade would be for Koufos and Temple or Koufos and Shump

Both teams seem to wanna get a bit more competitive after this years draft and could want Ryan’s services and not want a pick attached

10. BigMaloe

End of the first paragraph he said “plus one”

Maybe I just assumed he meant adding a 1st rd pick?

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Do I not recall Cod hinting Love to Rox as a mebbe move? Just curious - - who sez 'no' to KL/JR - - RA/NeNe?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

hmmmmmmmmm.........hennything is possible

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

No chance Cleveland does that, if/when Lebron bolts Love is the first piece they would move, but he would net them some decent/good assets, someone here mentioned Indiana as a possible destination few days ago, not sure who said it but i can actually see Indiana being strong on Love offering Sabonis/Turner, Young and a 1st rounder...other teams like Toronto, Washington, Utah, Lakers might try to get him too...

And btw i'm not a fan of Love anyway, he's obviously better than Anderson but he's expiring next year so, going to get paid, still a meh defender, can't play the 5, pass unless we can't really get anyone else to upgrade, i'd take Millsap over him.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I could see Ryno for Tyson and Dudley or Koufos and Shump or Temple

only way we’re sending out Ryno and getting back Kevin Love is if Morey has Koby Altman’s nudes

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep. Love actually has value and could get the Cavs cap space and picks from a young team looking for a playoff birth.

The Suns could absorb love AND give the Cavs a pick.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's not happening either, we're not getting a couple of expirings for Ryan's two year 40M deal unless we throw in one or two first rounders...also cause i'm pretty sure Tyson still has decent value, especially now that he's going to expire, Dudley is probably dead value at this point but still, better than negative value.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cod has literally hinted at too many players to count.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, that changes things if both Tyson and Dudley are expirings...it would probably require a 1st rounder from us

at the end of the day, Ryno takes at least 2 1st round picks to dump outright, and if it’s a trade where we’re getting players back, it will be players with undersirable contracts floundering on teams that have no use for them...that’s Ryno’s value IMO

Vivi likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Sigh, well at least Anderson will always have that dunk in Phoenix.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's ok, I count on Cod...