1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Dallas Keuchel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 5, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Career numbers by catcher for Keuchel...

E.Gattis 2.59 ERA 62.2 IP
    B. McCann 3.52 ERA 160.2 IP
    M. Stassi 3.24 ERA 66.2 IP
    Sample sizes too small to make any real conclusions...

2. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

I do not trust Keuchel nor Giles.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By "fine", do you expect him to be a pitcher with a 3.5-4ish ERA? Or better?

I think at this point, he's probably more the former... and that is "fine"... but not going to be a cy young contender.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As long as he's solid. :)

Nick likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's exactly what he is right now.

Not elite... not a bum.

vince likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

People seem to forget that he pitched until November last year. The physical toll postseason takes on arms is real (and makes what JV is accomplishing that much crazier), especially when you make it all the way through. Will DK go back to 2015 Cy Young material? Almost certainly not. But he's still a good pitcher, and I think he'll return to form. His FIP is 4.31 and posters are losing their minds. He's not terrible. I think he'll pitch around a 3.75 road era and 2.5ish home era as we get further into the season.

arkoe likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't have a lot of trust in DK but I have even less trust in him getting run support against quality opponents

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How about run support vs non quality opponents?

I didn’t like him throwing Stassi under the bus. If he can’t admit he’s a problem, he’s got an even bigger problem. He must feel bad that he’s costing himself millions.

9. vick

vick Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Any other questions?

Time for McHugh to get a chance.

11. Buck Turgidson

Sure: when do they put him on the 10-day DL? I would be gobsmacked if they moved him to the pen.

12. Buck Turgidson

Where did he do that other than the 1 quote posted here earlier?

eta: to be clear, he's always mouthed off at times and I'm not a huge fan of his, but that quote didn't seem too bad. He said it could've been him, could've been the guy on 2nd looking in at the catcher on Seager's HR, at least that's how I read it.

Then of course there's this after today's game:

#52 Buck Turgidson, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Sooner the better.

DL is a good idea. Give him one more chance and if there's no improvement then you take him out of the rotation. That would be the end of him in Houston as he's gone next year anyway.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was barking at Stassi throughout that game and soon after the HR. I was actually expecting him to say something referencing their "dynamic", but was surprised he even thought to mention pitch-tipping via the catcher as a possibility/excuse.

He is undoubtedly putting excess pressure on himself to eventually cash in on a huge contract. In many ways, he probably should have sought out an earlier extension after 2015 or so. Additional attrition on his arm, plus age, plus the way the industry/contracts have evolved all pretty much stack the deck against him getting huge money from here on out.

vince likes this.
  15. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

Lol are you serious Keuchel? Not only throwing your teammates under the bus, but you still pitched like ****. 11 outs huh?

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

"Supposed" to be outs?? WTF are you talking about, Dallas? Between insinuating Stassi tipping pitches, and now blaming your fielders (at least it can be implied that he is) for bad positioning, you're really starting to come off like a d******d.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I told a friend, he cannot possibly say he had a good day and this was not his fault.

I think the only way DK gets traded is if this is him rocking the boat (continues to do so) and blames the team without being accountable.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

DL sounds good or can he be sent to AAA to work on some stuff? He's not getting it done and he needs to quit making excuses. Either McHugh or Peacock deserves his spot in the rotation.

19. vince

vince Member

Keutchel was a huge reason for the World series run. He and Altuve gave the Astros muscle when they were losing 100 games a season year after year. Out of that colossal mess came a Cy Young and an MVP.

Everytime he pitched you felt good. Our own Greg Maddox, with pin point accuracy.

I think he is second guessing himself. He has to relinquish any alternative agenda (ie contract extension, proving people wrong, etc.). He can dominate when he trust his stuff and induces ground balls.

20. conquistador#11

I think he meant balls that got past the shifts, pitchers old and new BALK at the idea of shifts for some reason. In the national broadcast they referenced that we were now on the wrong side of the shifts helping, but they didn't follow up with a number? which fancy stats page tracks that? Carry on, shift happens.

Nimo likes this.