1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cancel Lebron..The Rockets need to focus on Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, May 29, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

Based off how game 7 ended, with Trevor going 0-12, and Luc's shoulder injury, the Rockets have had issues at the SF position. We need another playmaker but one that can defend & hit open 3's. Lebron is everybody's ideal fit. But why? He's a great player but he's not going to commit anywhere longterm. The Rockets need to put their focus on Paul George. He's basically Ariza, Luc & Green in one player. I'm sure how we'd make it work but I'm sure Morey can move some pieces around. My biggest concern is us getting greedy and trading the whole team on Lebron for 1 or 2 years. A trio of CP, Harden & Paul George seems better longterm..

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s Bron Bron, PG13, or bust...Rockets are in no position to be choosey

if Lebron wants to come here then Morey won’t even be thinking about Paul George, that’s just the reality

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

George has done his fair share of disappearing in the playoffs. If LeBron is feasible, he's the clear #1 option and it isn't particularly close.

George would be a nice consolation prize though.

Houstunna, mdoggnic, adw and 3 others like this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

How do you propose they get Paul George though?

The LeBron scenario is a pretty slim chance, but it's based on a trade. Rockets can't sign a max free agent. I don't see any way OKC, who thinks they can compete with the Warriors and Rockets, is working a deal to get Paul George here. They would be killed by their fans if they did anything to facilitate improving one of those teams.

Houstunna, Trackwell, s3ts and 24 others like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You mean OKC won't take Ryan Anderson for Paul George? I mean....gives Westbrook a range shooter! More help!

Trackwell, adw, jevjnd and 4 others like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Exactly. We live in fantasy land around here. The Thunder are not going to work some silly trade that sends us Paul George with them absorbing crappy contracts or getting a 2nd round pick while some third team absorbs those contracts. They are trying to win around Westbrook and they will never help us be better than them.

He's my preferred target as well, but there's just not much a realistic way to get him here.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why does anyone think that PG13 wants to come to Houston??
    It makes no sense.

Also, for what its worth, there are already rumblings of PG13 joining CP3 in LAL next year. Doesn't make a ton of sense with Lonzo, but who knows...

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Need to focus on getting Kevin Duran Duran. Adds to us and weakens Worriers = Genius

BigShasta, sammy, jevjnd and 2 others like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rumblings from where? Who is saying this?

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets aren't getting a superstar this offseason, barring an absolute miracle.

Focus needs to be shedding Ryno for actual complimentary pieces that can extend the rotation to at least 7-8 quality pieces.

11. hakeemthagreat

I disagree. Lebron's personality is a bit diva-ish. This is Harden's team. Paul George is not as talented but still a superstar that fits our system better. George is more of a catch and shoot option

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

lmao

Rockets were a game away from beating the best team ever...but Chris is going to leave for a rebuild project in Los Angeles, a year after leaving Los Angeles, to team up with Paul George and Lonzo Ball, a rookie who plays the same position as him?

Please tell me you don't believe these "rumblings"

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The one silver lining that Morey possibly has to work with is that everyone around the league saw how close the Rockets were in taking out the Warriors.

Lots of players around the league hate the Warriors and a lot of players would want to join the Rockets to finally take them over the hump.

Morey needs to leverage that.

Take a massive pay cut for a one year contract and then we will pay you well once the contract is up since you are our own free agent? Does that still work? Possible?

Have the Warriors already signed up all the players in the league that are willing to take a paycut to win rings??

Can Popovich do us a favor and trade Kawhi to us? We will owe you one Pops. When its your time again, we will be there for you and return the favor.

#13 Zboy, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    HakeemOnlyFan, D-rock, sammy and 9 others like this.
  14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Don’t think Paul George wants to come Houston and even so, as many have said... the scenarios where he lands here are pretty slim. Any LBJ scenario will only work if he truly wants to come here.

Retain Green, match Capela, hope CP takes a cut so we can retain Ariza and sign another piece.

Redick will probably be too expensive, but i’m looking at improving the team with shooters or playmaking guards. Free agent wise there’s Ellington, Belinelli, Vanfleet, Ilyasova, and Rose.

Anything else would have to be through trade, we can either use Gordon to upgrade or we can use him to get something of less value but you unload Ryno.

Something like Ellington and (not or) Belinelli would put this team over the top, those guys are lethal outside the arc.

All this is just speculation since i’m only slightly taking numbers into account.

RyanB likes this.
  15. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Whatever may happen, the rotation needs to be extended big time. Can't keep playing 6-7 man rotation and expect to win.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You should check George’s last game in these playoffs.

17. juanito713

juanito713 Member

Paul George to Houston seems even less likely than LeBron to Houston.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think it's about George "not wanting" Houston, it's about his true desire being LA but that he might stay in OKC because they are a contender and can pay him a ton. If we wanted a shot at George we needed to trade for him last summer. The only reason he won't go to LA now is to stay in OKC for the max. Even if he wanted to take less to get here it would be difficult to make work and would require a helping hand from OKC.

Great fit for the Rockets but probably not worth thinking about.

Realistically it's Lebron James and then once we strike out there it's about role player upgrades.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't believe or not believe anything. I suspect CP3 stays. I believe he was touring Kinkaid in the last few months with his kid, moving from the Woodlands closer to town, etc.

But you never know.... who knows what he/his family want.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

I said the SAMETHING!! REALISTICALLY!!! I don't see LeBron leaving Cleveland, PG is bent on going to LA, so the only viable FA SF I see out there is Jabbari Parker. He's a restricted FA. I can see Morey offering Milwaukee Anderson and a #1 for Jabbari at $10M a year and Henson. Jabbari still needs to prove himself. But I think he will represent a better scoring option than Ariza.

Ariza's time is up! He's 33 and I don't see him getting better. Milwaukee needs an outside shooter to feed off of The Greek Freak.