1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: A devastating Game 7 loss and what's next for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 29, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We'll find the positives.

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

You guys were way too easy on the refs and I totally disagree that "something will be done to address it" in the offseason. Adam Silver wanting the game to be the best it can be does not necessarily mean better officiating. If the ratings and owners are pulling in record amounts of dollars they won't change a thing for the fan.

everyday eddie, napalm06 and saleem like this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no mention of the officiating until 23 minutes in, and then only to say that it was poor, as opposed to biased in one team's favor. that is disappointing.

TheRealAllpro, napalm06 and bro2044 like this.
  5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

“1 year window...and it just closed”. Damn I was looking for something uplifting, but now I’m even more depressed.

But it’s true unless something happens to a guy like Carmelo.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i agree w/ the one year window. other teams are going to improve and as clutch mentioned, acquire pieces to be able to start switching everything as well. and i've been saying our guys just too old to not start dropping off. even harden will be 29 this summer. one thing i don't necessarily agree with is just auto re-signing capela. he is very limited offensively, cannot put the ball on the floor, can't make FT's, and most importantly is just too mentally fragile to be relied upon in big games like this. morey would have to think hard about committing a MAX contract to him.

basketballholic and saleem like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We overachieved over the entire season. The team wasn't as talented as many others. The Rockets were the second oldest team in the NBA. I'm very unhappy with the loss. The Rockets have to continue to move forward. Changes have to be made. I hope Chris will agree to take a significant cut, in order to add Lebron or a couple of solid role players moving forward. Capela doesn't deserve more than 10-12 M/ yr in my opinion.

Moving Ryan is the most difficult thing of all. Getting a half decent PF for him and the 2020 1st rounder is the best that we can expect. EG had a good season with us, but he will to be moved to a team with cap room who can use him, in order to get in the Lebron sweepstakes.

I hope Ariza can re-sign in Houston on a cheap contract. Luc's injury hurt us a great deal. Will he be healthy after possible surgery? Let's hope for the best. I have no doubt that GS has been exposed by Houston. They are NOT invincible by any means. If Chris didn't get injured, we would be in the NBA Finals. That hurts a lot, but Houston has a good chance of winning it all in 2018-19.

Never give up! Go Houston Rockets!

fanwq, RiceRockets and B-Bob like this.
  8. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

If we want a pay cut from CP, Morey needs to have a very clear plan of how he will use money. CP wants to win, I have no doubt he will help the team’s cap if he sees the value.

Capela has to be locked up - building around him + Harden for next 3-5 years will keep us in contention. He’s going to get his money, as he should, and if it’s not him at the 5, who is it? Nene is done & PJ can’t play the 5 for 82 games.

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I woke up this morning and still depressed...

10. saleem

Capela isn't worth the max by any means. Go for a cheaper 5, like Amir Johnson. Clint is certainly better than him, but it will be a big mistake to lock Capela to a huge contract.

Will Hartenstein be a surprise at the 4, or will he be packaged like Donte Greene to get another "star"? I think IH has genuine talent, he can add depth to the team.

Let's hope for a terrific off season!

Zergling likes this.
  11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i think the problem is that we have no other young gun who’s on a cheap contract aside from Capela who is currently developed...a dependable CP3 backup, backup center, and a SF that can score...i’m so tired of those yearly Ariza’s bricks

Pole likes this.
  12. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Really feels precarious. I mean everything is probably gonna hinge on what Lebron is going to do this offseason. If he gave his word, I'm pretty sure Morey will do something than pass the opportunity up.

How gutted the team can be to make that happen won't probably matter anymore, just because it's too good to pass this chance where you can have three superstars.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What hurts the most is the championship was right there. Cleveland is a weak finals opponent. The Rockets aren’t young enough to guarantee a repeat of this season and other teams will surely try and copycat what we were able to do defensively. Obviously we should be among the best teams next year but the opportunity was right ****ing there. Hurts. The Chris Paul injury and then the Scott Foster fix. The biggest what if season in Houston sports history.

It would hurt way less if we simply just got outplayed.

arkoe, Zboy, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  14. farhen

farhen Member

After the loss I lost faith in my boy Jimmy

15. saleem

He isn't the problem. Our lack of depth and age is the real reason for the defeat. Of course it doesn't help when GS is being favored too.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. saleem

There is no difference between Silver and Stern.

vinsensual and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. RESINator

RESINator Member

We definitely overachieve this season. Realistically we over relied on roleplayers like Gerald green, pj tucker, luc, and ariza who just wouldn't cut it on a championship team.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun necessarily agree with the Capela being mentally fragile, did you watch him last night?

He is a young buck, still developing, yeah he is limited, yeah he was a no show most games, because the Warriors took him out.

If you tell me Capela can show up against any team but the Warriors, I'd still take him. Probably sign a big that can help him.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This absolutely sucks and I'm depressed as well, but we had a fantastic regular season and a pretty damn good play-off run. We got beat by arguably one of the greatest teams assembled and only after our second star went down with injury. The refs _ucked us good, but we made it worse by going on the worse 3pt shooting spree this season. We probably could have won game 6, if we hadn't turned it over 21 times. In the end, taking the Warriors to 7 was the end to a great season, but we were on the cusp of greatness and that's why we're all depressed and unfulfilled.

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I watched the best team in the NBA all season and post season with the best defense and offense. I watched Chris Paul get injured and the Rockets still having halftime leads in games 6 & 7. The best team was jobbed; it's as simple as that.

The league already owes Harden and the Rockets a couple of MVPs, and now they added a championship to the tab. They valued being able to point at a LeBron legacy or Warriors dynasty more than letting the Rockets pull off a Mavericks type single season win.

I agree with MK that the window was 1 year and it has closed. The Rockets were really motivated and confident to win it this season, and we could see the amount of physical and mental work it took from every organization member to be in that space. I don't think they'll be able to do that again next year.

arubato likes this.