1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Defense shines again as Rockets take Game 5, go up 3-2 on Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 25, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Thanks for the quick recap! Yeah it would be devastating for CP3 as a person and basketball player if he's out for the rest of the series and or the Finals if we make it. Winning the series without him would kind of feel like we came through for him as he's come through for us, but still you want the guy to be there. Hell, if we get to the Finals, he could definitely be the best player of the series and win Finals MVP so not even having that chance would be very sad.

Clutch and clutchfans, do you feel if CP3 is out or hobbled, that we need a Game 2 of the 2015 series type or Game 1 of this year's series against the Warriors type of game out of Harden to win? Do you think we can win with Harden 20-30 points, Gordon 20+ and then our role player just getting around 5-15. Are we that good defensively or do we desperately need MVP Harden to even have a chance if CP3 is out?

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm glad to hear MK, who isn't necessarily a Rockets fan, recognize how distasteful GSW has been throughout this series in the media. GSW seems to be liked everywhere doing the most annoying, arrogant, smug, dirty stuff on and off the court. It Felt like I was in the twilight zone hearing everyone in the media say it was the Rockets who were the ones talking sh-t.

heypartner, adw, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  4. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Big ups to Jeff Bzdelik , doesnt get enough recognition

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My humble opinion is that we will needs an MVP Performance from
    Harden on both ends in order to advance to the Finals. 36 points, 8 assists, 8 rebounds plus defense. A very tall order. If he can come to 95 percent of that, it may be enough. The key to success is playing freely. We have nothing to lose in Game 6. Nearly all the pressure is on GS. It's not easy by any means, but that should be our attitude. Defense of course is critical too.

The rest of the team will be galvanized by him, if he can play at an MVP level. Go Harden! Go Houston Rockets!

B-Bob likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My humble opinion is that we will needs an MVP Performance from
    Harden on both ends in order to advance to the Finals. 36 points, 8 assists, 8 rebounds plus defense. A very tall order. If he can come to 95 percent of that, it may be enough. The key to success is playing freely. We have nothing to lose in Game 6. Nearly all the pressure is on GS. It's not easy by any means, but that should be our attitude. Defense of course is critical too.

The rest of the team will be galvanized by him, if he can play at an MVP level. Go Harden! Go Houston Rockets!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

If CP3 is out, I think Harden getting somewhere around 30-35 points while dishing out 8-10 assists would be more beneficial to the Rockets. Notice the teams that lean so heavily on 1 player for the offensive load tend to be disjointed and awkward when forced to look to someone else to score in crunch time. We can't afford to have Harden go off for 40+ points unless he's able to facilitate for others as well. Harden needs to stop gambling on defense and get into the teams offensive sets earlier in the shot clock. When CP3 was the primary ball handler, didn't everyone else watching breath a little lighter knowing we were likely going to score over Harden trying to get himself going or trying to force the ref's to call fouls? I'm looking to Gordon and Green at having good games with Harden if we're going to have a shot at closing this series out in Oakland.

I do however have the feeling that CP3's status won't be made any more clear until tip off (or close to it) in order to keep Kerr and GSW off balanced. CP3's initial reaction didn't appear as bad as everyone made it out to be, and reports stated he was "getting treatment" and to be reevaluated Friday/Saturday. One of CP3's greatest weaknesses lies in his spotty injury list over the years, we'll have a chance if we move the ball effectively like game 2 of this series on Saturday. Here's to the longest 2 days so far this year.

Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Love it. Just downloaded on iTunes. Got a long car drive in the afternoon! Thanks @Clutch

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great pod once again. Thank you, Dave/MK.

I cannot celebrate this win like I did in game 4 because of the Paul injury. Obviously it’s a huge downer.

This is how I feel about game 6...I say no matter what, keep Paul out. CP3 obviously needs rest and treatment and this game is not necessarily a must win. Play a couple more guys and hope you catch lightning in a bottle with someone.

I’m not conceding game 6. For as awful as I feel about the Paul injury, I feel like the Rockets can still win the game. Maybe guys will play loose and the shots fall. I just don’t think coach should add one guy and roll with his short rotation. Add Moute, Anderson and maybe even Ne for about 6 minutes to keep guys fresh.

Harden needs to come up big here in game 6 if Paul does not go. I don’t think he needs 40, but a solid all around game is important imo. I don’t think he should feel any pressure in game 6 because we are up in the series. Hopefully he can let it all hang out.

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree on all points. Warriors will be tight -- you can already hear it -- and resting CP3, plus expanding bench, could make us loose and hungry in comparison.

Os Trigonum, Jake Tower and mikol13 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Surprisingly. I did not think the Heat were much loved throughout the league..... Bron/Wade/Bosh/Haslem

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This feeling reminds me completely of the Yao Ming foot injury in 08(?) against the eventual champion Lakers.

Rocket River and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

If CP3 is not playing game 6, bring in at least Luc and Anderson for a few minutes and see if they can contribute. They have been watching winning bb and must realize how important defense is to the game plan. Who knows, they might even be inspired by Cp3's play (here is to hoping Anderson can knock five 3s and Luc can become the 2 way player that was so important for us this year).

Jake Tower, mikol13 and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So mk gonna just poopoo our injuries
    this season

Sounds like a warriors fan

Rocket River

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dislike.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His Big Delik Grows with each game played.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Clutch mentioned that Chris Paul going down was similar to Barkley getting hurt in the Utah Series.

I remember this.

The newbs who know nothing about Rockets history blaming Barkley for the loss to Utah should delete their accounts.

Thank you for remembering the real history of the Rockets!

#19 tinman, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Bandwagoner and ico4498 like this.