1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

What we each learned from Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 16, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Post away, CFers. Here are mine:
    • When we're on our game, we can play with anyone. This reminds me of the Luv Ya Blue-era Oilers in that they were absolutely one of the best teams of the era, but had to overcome the mighty Steelers (and the refs). Hopefully, our outcome will be better.
    • The Warriors can be an amazing team when they're clicking on all cylinders. But when they're not, they become a bunch of whiny, floppy little b****es.
    • It's very possible that Ryno and Joe Johnson might contribute absolute nothing at all this series.
    • One of the Dubs' big 3 is going to be crap in nearly every game. Our job is to make sure the other two don't go off.
    • PJ wants this BADLY. Maybe as much as anyone on this team.
    • The Brothers/Foster duo is toxic and their absence was notable.
    • Curry's 3pt shot is off, and I'm not convinced it'll show up during this series. That ankle's playing with his head.
    • Media narrative: In game 1, the Warriors dominated the weaker Rockets. In game 2, the Warriors were overconfident after game 1.
    • Winning a game in Oakland won't be easy, but it's not impossible, either.

#1 topfive, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. pli777

pli777 Member

Nene didn't see a minute in game 2 even in garbage time is surprising to me, even though he was burnt by KD in game 1 I thought we would go big on them. But no, the key is run, share the ball, find the best open shooter in which everyone on this team can potentially hit a shot.

I don't believe Curry's 3pt shot being off is his injury playing in his head, Curry historically has not shown up in huge games.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We learned that they split the first 2 games.

Houston can hang with them, I dun think the hot takes of the media is correct.

Still think it is looking like a 7 game series.

Close games are definitely coming.

Klay and Curry won't shoot like that for the entire series as Gordon, Tucker and Ariza won't score 20 a night every night.

I agree that Joe Johnson won't contribute. Ryno could make more than 2 shots though.

Donkey is going to have 1 good game on Offense.

Game7 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Curry goes out, that drastically improves our chances. By going out - bad shooting and bad stamina included.

#4 daywalker02, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    hakeem94 and Tfor3 like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

6. xaos

xaos Member

Chris Paul is giving his heart into this post season

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

If only Luc were healthy..he would be a huge contributor. Remember he was a +/- stud during the regular season. His defense is always there but he's an absolute nothing on offense which makes him near unplayable against the Warriors. I think the Rockets could easily be 2-0 if he was healthy.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nene only played 6 minutes last game because Ariza's foul trouble screwed up our rotations.

AFS, ElDobleK and MyLateRegistration like this.
  9. smp

smp Member

I learned that you habe to keep attacking Curry over and over. Make him run a lot. Make him start and stop frequently. He's feeling those ankles.

Stick tight to Klay on the 3 point line. If he tries to beat us off the dribble that's to our advantage. He's elite at catch and shoot 3s. He's not all that good at anything else.

Let CP3 run the offense. He is much more willing to push the pace than Harden. We got into our offense before they could get into their defense. This was huge for us.

Dare Green to shoot. He sucks at it. He's always looking to pass so play him that way.

KD is unstoppable. Keep defending him 1 on 1. It's best to stick to him tight and make him drive to the basket. He's good at it but he commits turnovers that way. He prefers to just shoot over you instead of driving.

Play small. Capela got owned tonight. GS picked him apart. He wasn't good rebounding either.

dje243, topfive, hieuytran and 7 others like this.
  10. pli777

pli777 Member

Yes, and I believe Harden is one of those stars that is more willing to adjust to win. Even tonight he tends to stop the pace whenever he gets the ball and there was a half court 3 he chucked up with 20 sec on the shot clock that just confuses me to the moon.

11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

*Rockets can beat Golden State
    *Rockets can beat Golden State when James Harden shoots poorly..3 point % was dreadful and it took 24 shots to get 27 points.
    *Eric Gordon, P.J. Tucker and Trevor Ariza are better secondary scorers than Andre Iguodala, Draymond Green and Shaun Livingston.

dje243 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. SORF

SORF Member

I learned that this is the only way we can beat the Warriors. This is how we beat them in 2 out of 3 games during the regular season. It was great to see it again. Now we want to see it for another 3 wins.

dfbreyes, hakeem94 and dragonwill like this.
  13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We wore thompson and curry out! That was huge. With the right passing and cuts we became very hard to defend. Notice the warriors sweating this game literally? Curry's legs are a liability right now and we just have to make him work on both ends. Thompson pretty much had to focus on D at that point and got out of rhythm. We also attacked the **** out of curry when he was playing offence. Keep that pace up!

Jake Tower, hakeem94 and topfive like this.
  14. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I knew this team would bounce back. Yea it was a must win but they needed that wake up game. Either game one or 2. Ball movement wasn’t super on game one or we weren’t attacking as much. Still it was a close game. That’s why I didn’t come to the forum or didn’t watch any news on it.

I already knew the narrative, that we couldn’t beat them that we don’t play team ball and what not. I knew this game we would show or be better and in fact they were better than I anticipated. This is the team that went on on those winning rows. After the all star break we kinda went to iso ball more because that’s what teams were having trouble guarding. But yea against the warriors we need more ball movement like the first half of the season.

Anyway I knew we would be more focus. Our defense was great. People making excuses about curry now or that they weren’t focus. Maybe but this team still blew them out and not just because they got hot or took too many contested three. They Got this win by playing their great defense and moving around and sharing the ball.

:) rockets in 5

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4 day rest is good for us. Both teams actually.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great time for them to bust out the strongest game of the playoffs so far.

Sajan and hakeem94 like this.
  17. bj3175

bj3175 Member

It is to the Rockets advantage to play Durant one on one when he is at the top even with capela guarding him. It is imperative not to double him unless he is on the baseline. The other thing is the Rox denial of catch and shoot opportunities to clay and steph but more so making those guys take 3 to 4 dribbles to get a contested shot at the basket is key even if they make it. The warriors love to beat you without dribbling to much. They are great but it is important to make them earn offensive baskets so that you can work them on the other end. Their sharing of the ball becomes a weakness for them when you deny them that opportunity. If they score 10 points in a row by one pass or iso they are not as confident opposed to 3 + passes and scoring 10 points in a row. They like to demoralize you. Tonight for the first time they received a taste of what they hit everyone with.

Go Rockets

Jake Tower, HP3, Voltik and 1 other person like this.
  18. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

We need to let Durant get his and focus on shutting everyone else down.

Let Durant iso and iso. Its not good for the Warriors if he does. Durant isn't a good playmaker either. He has scored a lot these past few games but did nothing else

dje243, hakeem94 and rocks123 like this.
  19. rocks123

rocks123 Member

Two games in the series and both team looks like they already dispense tons of energy. Really shows that they are on different tier than the other western play off teams. Havent seen gsw this tired or spent. even the rockets. This will be a battle of endurance. I hope we will pull through with no injuries.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Game7

Game7 Member

Defense will take us places. Transition buckets were key for us all year. Give shooters opportunities. It gives their defense reason to adjust and leads to open driving lanes, open 3s, etc.

topfive and Voltik like this.