1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jb86, May 15, 2018.

1. basketballholic

All of them. China, gleague, and his scattered NBA minutes. He's an NBA level plus defender. I know that.

Remember, I told you when Whiteside was ready to play in the NBA, and when I told you that he wasn't even getting minutes in the dleague. But I knew he was ready. He would've been great value at the minimum for two seasons.

Qi is an above average NBA defender right now, right here in the playoffs, even though he lacks experience and seasoning. He may never be more that that. I don't know. He looks like he has the St. Vitus' dance when the ball gets anywhere near him offensively. I think it's just a case of nerves and lack of confidence combined with wanting to fit in. But he nay never coordinate offensively. I don't know. What I do know is he's as good a defender as Asik was in his prime. Super quick feet. Understands verticality and how to use it. And very quick to respond to action around him. With the added benefit of being very long.

Qi is a plus NBA defender right now.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop Smoking Crack Cocaine Dude

3. basketballholic

Haddadi is as big and nasty as they come.

4. shlhl

shlhl Member

Don't let the p***y cat eat the cheese. He might like it. Well, sounds good before it is too late to try.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

We beat the daylights out of Golden State
    And he didn’t play

You guys have a better chance finding all those people Thanos got rid off

You suckers

6. tinman

Supporting Member

He didn’t even play in this blowout
    Maybe Thanos took him

He is a scrub

7. basketballholic

We didn't need him. It was a blowout. And he's too valuable to play garbage minutes. Can't take the risk.

:D

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Let’s make a tip jar bet
    I bet he doesn’t get any play for this series

9. basketballholic

Why would I take that bet when he hasn't played all season? You must be about 12.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

You are talking like this guy is going to play
    This series

You are like -12

11. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Tinmac vs Holic fights are always the best hahahahaha keep bringing it guys!

Well Zhou Qi did have that one block on Durant in the warm up games for the Olympics 2 years back...

mockster likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s a better chance D’Antoni plays Groot or Rocket the Raccoon before Zhou

13. basketballholic

No I'm not talking like this guy is going to play. Not even close. We didn't play him all season. And we're not going Rubio play him more except out of desperation when all else fails. And we're not down 0-2 and in the leading end of the score in game 3. So he ain't playing any minutes of substance in game 3 unless we have a substantial injury that ends the series being competitive.

Just because I said Qi can play defense and that he is an NBA level defender and we should have given him minutes, and just because I say now that if KD gets lose adhesion we should TRY QI....... DOES NOT MEAN THAT I THINK WE WILL TRY QI. I do not believe we will try Qi. I believe we're going to live and die (and it will be die in a few games) with Capela.

This series will come down to Durant and Green versus Capela and PJ (and perhaps a little Ariza/LMM).

We can run out Paul, Gordon, Harden, and Ariza against Curry, Klay, Iggy, and Shaun Livingston and like our chances there. If Paul ain't hurt too bad I would actually facor out for to their 4. But then you've got KD and Draymond versus Capela and Tucker and whoever else we drudge up. And we ain't winning that matchup.

So although I like Qi's defensive potential, and I know he's an NBA capable plus defender, and I think we should have played him during the season, and I think we should give him a shot here against the Warriors at some point when we need help on Durant, I do not believe for one second we'e going to let him play anything other than town garbage minutes.

Words mean things. Read them. And interpret them properly. I'm not writing rap lyrics that you can interpret any way you want to. I'm writing commentary/opinion about the Rockets. Take the words for what they say. Instead of reading between the lines when there's nothing between the lines to read.

K?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

We don’t need him is correct
    You’re right on that

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Maybe @basketballholic is onto something:

Strengths: Center prospect with great size, length and mobility ... Elite help defender and rim protector with great timing, quick feet, mobility, and length ... Covers a lot of ground defensively ... Will contest shots not only at the rim but even close out and block jump shots ... Very calm and smart player with good feel for the game ... Rarely forces bad shots as he moves well without the ball finding open gaps ... Soft touch around the rim and can finish with both hands ... Can consistently hit a mid-range jumper and has developing 3-Point range ... Above average and willing passer ... Great ball handler for his size and can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim ... Overall a two-way player that can contribute on many levels ... Has shown improvement to his game since his rookie season in the CBA ... Has gained weight during his time training in the USA preparing for draft workouts ... All coaches have been said to enjoy working with him and that he shows the desire to get better ... Lots of upside and a high ceiling if he can add weight ... Has a good feel for the game in relation to most Chinese players ...

Weaknesses: Lacks overall strength and weight to be effective to hold his own at the next level ... Defensive rebounding could be a big problem as he often just stands around and relies on his height and length not boxing out his man, and the jump from CBA to NBA in terms of strength is significant ... As a one on one defender has trouble guarding bigger stronger opponents if they get into his body ... Has a tendency to struggle in big games ... Lacks mental toughness ... Not a leader, very quiet and not vocal on defense ... Slow release and has little lift on his jump shot ... Has shown talent, but hasn't dominated the CBA like fellow countrymen Yao or Yi did before they left for the NBA ... Listed age is a question mark like many CBA players.

Summary: In terms of being an NBA player, Zhou Qi's defensive abilities should carry over ... He is currently not a scoring option on the Xinjiang Flying Tigers, and would also just be a finisher at the rim or spot up shooter in the NBA, but does have offensive skills ... Right now obviously his limitations are physical as he will have a lot of trouble with stronger players, although he is not as soft as his thin frame suggests ... Overall an interesting player with a lot of upside.

Notes: Was measured officially at the 2016 NBA Draft Combine at 7'1.25 (2.17 m) with a 7'7.75 (2.33 m) wingspan and standing reach of 9'4.5 (2.85.75 m) ... Had a great Asian Championships being a big reason why China won the Championship, showed a lot of emotion and stepped up when nobody else did ... Carried his play into the season before a broken nose forced him to sit out the all star game ... After the All-Star break with various NBA scouts in attendance Zhou Qi in a face mask disappointed, not being able to play at the level he was before the injury ... For the rest of the season and playoffs, he wasn't effective and was even left on the bench during important stretches of the 4th quarter during the playoffs... Every time NBA personnel are watching, he does not seem to be able to perform to his abilities (Nike Summit, CBA, etc.) ... Has not received official clearance to move to the NBA if he gets drafted in this 2016 NBA Draft ... A buyout doesn't seem to be an issue as money is not what the federation nor the Xinjiang team wants ... Staying in China any longer would stunt his development.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/zhou-qi

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. lnchan

Previous scouting report... he will fit into our tradition of players that have the same facial expression (TMac, Harden, Sleepy Floyd)

Weaknesses: Mental toughness has been a question mark ... Doesn't show any emotion, always has the same facial expression ... Doesn't have a killer insitnct or attitude ... Lacks muscle and weight for his position ... Defensively has had problems guarding the opposition's import player ... Defensive rebounding needs to improve, is often seen not boxing out or not moving to optimal rebounding position ... Does not have a high motor ... Not vocal enough, rarely seen directing the defense ... At times too passive in the CBA not looking to attack, although he was much more aggressive in youth tournaments ... Slow release and gets no lift on his shot ... Compared to NBA standards is not considered an explosive athlete ... Has not been able to show the dominance in the CBA that Yao Ming and Yi JianLian showed before they went to the NBA ... His listed age is a question mark ...

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Haha! Just saw this. Even Holic's autocorrect has a one-track mind. Too funny.

18. basketballholic

Yes both Ricky and Marco did that.

19. lnchan

Omg. Rockets just released a Zhou Qi season highlight real on Facebook

D-rock, Rashmon and basso like this.
  20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Special talent @tinman