1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ipaman, May 15, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It think the league is ok . . ..
    The Rockets demonstrate that the league is adjusting

I will say this though . . . it absolutely removes KD from all conversations about best ever
    or even best in any year
    He nor Curry should ever be close to another MVP . .. ever
    Maybe Finals MVP but never league MVP

Rocket River

BigShasta likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Meaning he gets to the Finals every year/every other year.

3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

The league saw this coming and tried to get the players association to agree to smooth out the cap spike but they wouldn't agree. Now because no one can compete with the Warriors so many more teams are tanking instead of trying to add pieces, so the average rotation player is going to earn much less going forward.

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Super predictable what's happening...

I think it's probably good for casual fans, of which I suspect there are more of those than hard core fans. Kind of like how Tiger brought in the casual fans to golf. Dominant players and teams seem to attract casual fans. For hard core fans, like most of us, we're watching the NBA regardless, and there's only so many times you can watch Lebron come out of the East, the Warriors come out of the West before you just have to throw your hands in the air and say "well, the draft lottery is on tonight and that's kind of interesting!!"

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so 1 happy team and 29 pissed off teams makes for a great league and product?! because that's my beef if you read my post. I love my Rox but I also love basketball and it's one thing (i'm on record saying) if my team has an amazing year but falls short I can be happy about it. Again, I'm on the record saying whatever happens this series the Rox gave me an amazing memorable ride of a season. But it's another thing completely when the best shot (65 win Rox) of 29 teams has to be perfect to barely have a chance. It's ruined.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  6. macan

macan Member

if they win, i ain't watching the same finals...it's so boring every year, worriers vs lebrick.....and lebrick will lose again....

lw17 likes this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

Blame Lebron. He started the superfriends trend, KD just did it better. With that said after watching last night.....

Kevin Durant>>>>>Lebron

lw17 and Wilezra like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I actually wouldn't want LeBron to join the Rockets. I'd rather beating him than joining him. I hate arm race team building of which Morey freely admitted. I can't say objectively why it is not right. But anyone who have played pick up ball knows that it is not right to let all the best players play on the same team.

I do think a lot of Rockets fans are hypocritical in this kind of things.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I just hope his legacy is tainted forever. He does not deserve to be in the same breath as Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, and the other greats.

I felt the same way about Lebron, but he went on to Cleveland and clearly propelled a lesser Cleveland team over GSW at the time. That was just remarkable.

Durant deserves little recognition for his ring or rings.

So awful.

Jake Tower and hairyme like this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I still defend his move. That team is literally the perfect fit for him, on and off the court. He's supposed to do what's best for him, not us.

Wilezra likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You don’t have to be happy with his decision. If agree the league would be better off if he didn’t join them. My point is that it’s not Durant’s responsibility to preserve or sustain competitive balance, so hating him for his decision is misdirected anger.

Blame the league for allowing this to happen the way they set things up.

Wilezra and Icehouse like this.
  12. Icehouse

Wilt forced a trade to LA to play with Baylor/West, and our own MVP Moses Malone left for Philly after they lost in the Finals.

Wilezra likes this.
  13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

How exactly do you defend a move that literally unbalanced the NBA for years to come?

lw17 likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Moses Malone left because the Rockets owner didn't want his contract in a sign and trade, he was a RFA, so not close to what Durant did.

Wilt played in an era so entirely different that it isn't even a fair comparison because super teams were the norm with how few teams the league had then. Imagine if the modern NBA had 12 teams? How could you spread out Giannis, Durant, CP3, Harden, Curry, Klay, Lebron, Derozan, AD, etc etc on 12 teams? Some of these teams would have HOF players coming off the bench...which ironically, the Warriors do...

lw17 and Jake Tower like this.
  15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I think some ppl are mad at the rules themselves for failing to achieve competitive balance

And some are mad at KD for choose the best team in the league. Be for real, you know that's a weak move.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I do tend to agree with this, but he showed how weak he is and tainted his legacy at the same time.

Good for in the moment, but maybe not long term.

17. Icehouse

It's not Durant's job to balance the league, or any other players job. When it comes to his free agency, all he should be concerned with is doing what's best for him. What team was a better fit for him basketball wise than GS? He's supposed to not do what's best for him for us?

18. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

If your talking about a personal perspective, sure why not. Why doesn't every player just join the best team there is then? Why not have Lebron join Golden State next season, it's all good right?

19. Icehouse

Oh, so if OKC didn't want to pay him and received two picks in return then you'd be ok with him joining a team that just lost in the Finals? If you're arguing that the exact way he left hadn't happened before....sure. The CBA hadn't been like that before either. But a MVP caliber player going to a great team, nothing new.

Wilt forced his way to LA to form a super team. He joined a squad that lost multiple Finals already. Period.

You're searching for ways to make players joining up for domination different. It's all the same.

20. Icehouse

It's actually great for him long term. He's gonna get his career extended because he won't be relied on as much, he's gonna win a lot and he can likely get into any investment deal in the Bay that he wants. Again, all great for HIM. We seem to think these players should do what's best for us.